Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• ZarwenZarwen Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    BellaRosa wrote: »
    Well I watched this last night and see it did not improve from the 1st episode :(

They even made Al Large into a baffoon. He was not like that in the last series.

So disappointed as I really enjoyed all the other series. Shows they should not change the writers as I understand they did.

What a let down.

Bella, only 3 of this season's episodes were by new writers. The writers of the other five have been with DM for a long time, including Jack Lothian, who wrote both the season premiere and the season finale.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    Hello All, Haven't posted in quite a while, but have been lurking. I must say I loved all your posts throughout the filming this summer and appreciated all the pictures and spoilers. My thoughts are very similar to Bodmin's and Robs, I loved the first and last episodes. The middle not so much. But still glad to watch. I love my DC and LG and as for on screen chemistry: I do believe they have it.

Here's to another year or more of obsessing and waiting. I will be right there with all of you in spirit.
    Forum Member
    Biffpup wrote: »
    It's a little ironic that Jack Lothian seems to be the writer who best "gets it", gets the emotions right, understands the characters, and who knows how to bookend a series best, yet he's the one who was demonized at the end of S3. He's written the concluding episode for the last four seasons, hasn't he?

I'm glad you enjoyed the finale. Lothian is really, really good at this.

Hi Biffpup, just want to respond to your comments about Lothian. Yes, he gave us an unhappy S3 finale, but that was because BP told him to. The fact that he gave us E1 this season shows how talented he is and how he sees, as we do, what DM and LE could be like if only BP would allow it. That episode truly was a jewel, because the romance and humor were completely there without losing the characters at all. I wonder often if the writers get as frustrated as we do. . . . I think the writing team has been hamstrung by the fact that MC and PB have consistently seen a wedding as an ending, rather than a new beginning, as it should be.

On a somewhat tangentially related note, the scene in the OR when DM was looking down at LE on the table just prior to starting the surgery somehow reminded me of a scene from S3E1 in DM's own surgery when he was treating LG for anemia. As I recall, that episode culminated in "Time for something new"---as perhaps this one did too, in a way? But after this season, I'm not gonna hold my breath for it---see my thoughts in post #524.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    I thought this last episode was quite different than the final episode from any previous series. Martin had his epiphany early in the episode and not in the the last five minutes. He also had that ephiphany without the benefit of a scare (car accident, kidnapping). The scare happened as he was making plans to go after her, and I like that he wasn't going to try to run after her and stop her getting on the plane (which we now know he had time to do). He was letting her go to Spain and following her there the next morning (and perhaps having the long weekend she desired?) (Plus - how about "Action Doc"? Just get me to southern Spain and I will do the rest!) He asked Louisa for help instead of just declaring that he was wrong. There was no wrapping it up with a bow like we hoped, but a hopeful ending with lots to accomplish in S7 and not just watching to see if "Happily Ever After" works out for them. We can now expect to see those conversations we have hoped for for so long. We can now expect to see him learning about how to act like a husband (touching, glances across a crowded room). We can now expect to see him try even harder to be a good husband in social situations (that should provide the writers loads of ammunition for comic relief). And there is lots to look forward to from Aunt Ruth & Al, Al & Morwenna, Bert & Jenny. Never before have we ended a series with so much clear direction for the next series. Can't wait!

Oh - and another thing. I have to say that Martin broke my heart for most of the episode. The tears from him in the bathroom! For a minute I thought that Louisa had died. Thank goodness the very next scene showed her sitting up in bed! Another heartbreaking moment was when he picked up the toy from the stairs. That one really got to me - especially because it had a smiley face looking up at Martin. And so symbolic that instead of just setting it down on a table, or carrying it into the living room or kitchen to put with other toys, he stuffed it into his pocket as he strode into the kitchen to have the showdown with his mother. Almost like a little comfort/security blanket - something that he never got from his parents, but got in spades from his young son.

About the only time he wasn't breaking my heart was in the scene when he was dressed in the scrubs and quizzing the surgeon. My did he look capable - and yummy!

Yes, this episode was constructed differently, wasn't it? It kept us on our toes because it wasn't what we had grown used to in DM finales. This new direction was fun, but also a little scary (which is not a bad thing in drama). I hope you're right that in S7 we can expect to see real conversations between M & L. I know it won't happen, but if ever there was a couple that could use couple's counseling, they are it!

The fact that Martin was about to go after her, anywhere in Southern Spain would do, shows us more than anything that the breakthrough had happened. I've always believed that Louisa has wanted him to come after her each time she's marched down the hill. Now we know, thanks to AR, why he has never done it. He never felt deserving of her. Poor guy. Evil parents. And now it's happened. Not down the hill, but on a plane, almost.

OMG, the smiley toy! Martin touching foreheads with JH. Martin's tears in the bathroom. His little speeches to Louisa before and after the surgery. Seeing such emotion in this previously locked-up man was beautiful and heartbreaking.

Interesting too, as others have said previously, that Martin has now closed the circle, in a way. In the beginning, he could no longer do surgery because he saw the female patient with her family clinging to her and suddenly he couldn't do it. Now in this ep he's the family clinging to Louisa, but he does do the surgery, barfing along the way, but making it through.

I love this show. I'm not sure what I'll do with myself the next two years.

Almost forgot, yes, yummy in scrubs! My, oh, my, oh, my!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zarwen wrote: »
    Hi Biffpup, just want to respond to your comments about Lothian. Yes, he gave us an unhappy S3 finale, but that was because BP told him to. The fact that he gave us E1 this season shows how talented he is and how he sees, as we do, what DM and LE could be like if only BP would allow it. That episode truly was a jewel, because the romance and humor were completely there without losing the characters at all. I wonder often if the writers get as frustrated as we do. . . . I think the writing team has been hamstrung by the fact that MC and PB have consistently seen a wedding as an ending, rather than a new beginning, as it should be.

On a somewhat tangentially related note, the scene in the OR when DM was looking down at LE on the table just prior to starting the surgery somehow reminded me of a scene from S3E1 in DM's own surgery when he was treating LG for anemia. As I recall, that episode culminated in "Time for something new"---as perhaps this one did too, in a way? But after this season, I'm not gonna hold my breath for it---see my thoughts in post #524.

Right, it's BP that calls the shots, plot-wise, and, well, everything-wise. :) Good question about the writers' possible frustrations. I wouldn't be surprised, especially among those who, like Lothian, have been with DM for a good, long time.

Hey, you're right. That scene just prior to surgery was similar to the anemia scene back in S3. Brilliant that they reminded us of that, and also that they managed to make that scene both emotional and funny (big head, full moon, swimming trunks and flip-flops). Yes, once again, time for something new. You're right.

Big events in both episodes also centered around a clock. Martin was working on a clock when it became time for something new. In this latest episode, his mother stole his newly repaired clock. And now it seems it's time for something new again.
  • BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    Martin has to resolve the issue of any return to surgery. Even if his hemophobia is suppressed through other behavioral modifications, will he want to or be able to return to surgery? Interfering with the surgery on Louisa and clearly violating several surgical protocols may end his surgical career for once and for all. Then he can concentrate on changing himself so that he can have a good marriage and career in Portwenn as more than the reluctant GP

Someone said he may have privileges at the hospital in Truro. He didn't have privileges when Louisa was pregnant per Edith Montgomery. Why would he have privileges about a year later -- particularly for surgery -- when his hemophobia is still plaguing him.?

Also we haven't heard the last of Martins mother. I think she will be back in series 7, at least as part of the clock theft. What really happened to his father, if anything, is an unresolved thread too

What happened to Martin between age 4 and age 6 when he was dispatched to boarding school is another open storyline.

I am ready to dodge rotten tomatoes on this thought but one reason BP may have taken Do c in a more dramatic direction is his rapid aging, possibly because of the weight loss. He seems too old for perpetually young Louisa and may be another reason there was less affection between them. His bare chested scene was creepy
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    There's a sense in which that's all along, at every turn, been what she wanted and needed to hear. Not sure, at this point, that she would feel it was enough. I think one of the reasons she was so sad throughout the episode was that she knows he loves her and it hurts her to hurt him, but she doesn't know what else to do. But maybe it would have helped to hear it.. I guess we'll see in S7.

He's told her before that he loves her and, as you pointed out, she knows he loves her. So that wasn't what she needed to hear this time. She has heard it before - now she needed to hear that he understands that it isn't working this way and that he wants it to change. Whether she remembers what he said before the surgery or not (I suspect not), I think she got an inkling of it in his response.

And I think the tears in Louisa's eyes as he left were hearing his firm "You are my wife" (firm but with a bit of emotion) as he left.
  • Tangledweb7Tangledweb7 Posts: 3,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just my luck recorded to watch it tonight and only got 20 minutes of it stopped when Al was giving his business proposition to Ruth at the lake.:(:rolleyes: Hoping the sister has the whole episode or will have to be patient and wait for it on DVD.:(:(:(:cry:
  • MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martin has to resolve the issue of any return to surgery. Even if his hemophobia is suppressed through other behavioral modifications, will he want to or be able to return to surgery? Interfering with the surgery on Louisa and clearly violating several surgical protocols may end his surgical career for once and for all. Then he can concentrate on changing himself so that he can have a good marriage and career in Portwenn as more than the reluctant GP

Someone said he may have privileges at the hospital in Truro. He didn't have privileges when Louisa was pregnant per Edith Montgomery. Why would he have privileges about a year later -- particularly for surgery -- when his hemophobia is still plaguing him.?

Also we haven't heard the last of Martins mother. I think she will be back in series 7, at least as part of the clock theft. What really happened to his father, if anything, is an unresolved thread too

What happened to Martin between age 4 and age 6 when he was dispatched to boarding school is another open storyline.

I am ready to dodge rotten tomatoes on this thought but one reason BP may have taken Do c in a more dramatic direction is his rapid aging, possibly because of the weight loss. He seems too old for perpetually young Louisa and may be another reason there was less affection between them. His bare chested scene was creepy

No rotten tomatoes here, Blood. He must have rectified the privilege problem in the interim. It's really no big deal...you fill out a form, they check your credentials and give you privileges. His blood phobia may not be alluded to in the record as they are primarily interested in your licensure, your training and the presence or absense of patient care incidents. The young surgeon wouldn't be able to allow Martin to assist without him having privileges. I guess the question is why he didn't have privileges in the time of Ruth....that's more the irregularity and definitely made that storyline more dramatic. Whatever
  • Arwen_EvenstarArwen_Evenstar Posts: 801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched on ITV Player.

First I do love Doc Martin, but this series they seemed to have played all the extra villagers as buffoons, which I didn't like, and i'm sure that doesn't amuse those that do live in Cornwall! I appreciate there has to be a comedy element, but it was like every villager was an idiot, way OTT.

Second, I could not believe Louisa, Martin put himself through performing a surgery for her and she is like "this changes nothing". Was that not a cataclysmic change for Martin?? That surely would give her hope the husband side of him could change. I am gobsmacked honestly.

I think a couple of years ago he would have said just "you are my patient" and said nothing about their relationship. I think that he mentioning "wife", although last, is a huge step forward.

Thirdly, after playing PC Joe as a fool all season as usual he comes through when needed :D Been waiting several episodes for this!

I also think they should have just rung the airport, a GP and a Policeman are going to be familiar with emergency channels of contact. If not directly then the procedure to follow. In this day and age, they obviously exist- can you imagine a suspected terrorist getting onto a plane, the police deciding they want him off and being unable to speak to anyone :rolleyes:

But Doc Martin is not always very realistic :)
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a distinct feeling that S7 will be "it", the series that wraps it all up.

I am 90% sure that it will be. If S7 sees them together at the end, then, what remotely plausible plot device would screw up the relationship again in a S8? If they are still apart, or reconciled to being apart, I do think significant numbers of fans would bail, on a S8, and they (BP) probably don't want to push their luck.
    . . I think the writing team has been hamstrung by the fact that MC and PB have consistently seen a wedding as an ending, rather than a new beginning, as it should be.

On the whole, I am optimistic about a reasonably positive resolution to S7. In fact, I hope they don't drag it out for the whole series but give us a few episodes with them back together. However, I think there's a part of Martin Clunes that likes "dark" and he's always stubbornly insisted that "this is not that kind of show" where "that kind of show" presumably means fairy tale, happy ever after. so I wouldn't put it entirely past the creative team to leave us with a much wiser but much sadder Martin, sharing custody of JH with Louisa, but no more. He did say in an interview before the series aired that they had to "find a way to keep the relationship alive, even though they weren't a couple." I suppose we'll see that play out in a courtship scenario in S7, but maybe they do give up on each other. What a twist that would be: Martin is finally reaching his emotional potential, but he's lost his family. In the end, b/c it really makes nonsense of the whole emotional pull of the last 6 series, I don't think they will do that.

His bare chested scene was creepy

Indeed! Also very odd. Especially on the morning that his wife is leaving him. A newspaper's blog made the very acute point that throughout the series, he was mistaking emotions for illness. Your heart is breaking -- do an EKG.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure the folk singer's house was Al's fixer-upper back in "On the Edge"? (pretty sure it was On the Edge). Shop Girl, I bet you already spotted that, didn't you?

Also, I actually wished Martin had said yes when the singer asked if he wanted to hear the song he was writing about Louisa leaving. :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure the folk singer's house was Al's fixer-upper back in "On the Edge"? (pretty sure it was On the Edge). Shop Girl, I bet you already spotted that, didn't you?

Also, I actually wished Martin had said yes when the singer asked if he wanted to hear the song he was writing about Louisa leaving. :cool:

With her long dark hair and her crooked little smile.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    He made the commitment to work hard and ask her for help, but she won't remember what he said (most likely). It is more noble for him to follow through on his commitment now. Sort of like doing a good deed when nobody is looking.

Isn't he always - like selling the Kensington flat or helping the girl who wants breasts, or even covering for Bert poisoning the whole village.
    Forum Member
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    DM's mom stealing the clock shows just how pathologically horrible she is. She doesn't care for the clock; she is taking it out of sheer revenge. It's the only thing DM found of value in AJ's items, the one he put back together, and which for him perhaps represented her love. So, since DM would not give her any money, after exposing her lies and rejecting her, she stole the clock, to try to hurt him as much as she could, one last time.

Sorry, I don't think Margaret has such complicated motives for her actions. Even revenge is too much of a feeling as I can imagine her capable of.
    I simply think she thought she could sell it for a good price.
    Forum Member
    Mofromco wrote: »
    So, getting to do the surgery would not have been the problem. What they did in the surgery was far fetched as to some procedural issues. And no, there is no absolute denial to a relative doing surgery on another family member. It's avoided however, and I certainly wouldn't want to do it. In an emergency though.....

...or before such an incompetent idiot is butchering a member of my family.:eek:
    Forum Member
    I am ready to dodge rotten tomatoes on this thought but one reason BP may have taken Doc in a more dramatic direction is his rapid aging, possibly because of the weight loss. He seems too old for perpetually young Louisa and may be another reason there was less affection between them. His bare chested scene was creepy

Sorry, Bloodphobia, I really don't understand you. Since when does aging force an actor away from comedy? Also, I expect I'll get my own share of rotten tomatoes for this, but I don't see CC as "perpetually young." She does look older to me than she did in earlier seasons. The age difference between DM and LE has been speculated as anywhere from 5-10 years; in real life it is 9 years. I suppose some folks might consider that "too old" but in my experience it is not uncommon. (Full disclosure: my husband is 11 years older than I.)

And I'll gladly dodge some more rotten tomatoes for opining that the bare chest was not creepy! We've been waiting for that since S1, although I know we would have preferred it in a room other than the surgery. . . . I think MC looks terrific for almost 52. :)
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes it was - good eye! I recognized it immediately and noticed the holes in the walls seems to be all fixed now. :D
  • BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    Seriously, you have been waiting since season 1 to see a skinny man on an examination couch with probes attached to his hairless chest?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seriously, you have been waiting since season 1 to see a skinny man on an examination couch with probes attached to his hairless chest?

Martin Clunes....skinny...he'd love to hear that. Of course I've been waiting...the man's physicality is so sensual. And it's not the structure of his body....it's the whole package and has always been that way.

See Mrs. Merton Show 1997.....
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She does look older to me than she did in earlier seasons. The age difference between DM and LE has been speculated as anywhere from 5-10 years; in real life it is 9 years. I suppose some folks might consider that "too old" but in my experience it is not uncommon. (Full disclosure: my husband is 11 years older than I.)

And I'll gladly dodge some more rotten tomatoes for opining that the bare chest was not creepy! We've been waiting for that since S1, although I know we would have preferred it in a room other than the surgery. . . . I think MC looks terrific for almost 52. :)

I agree. LG has aged too., She just has the advantage of make-up and hair dye that 40-something women tend to use. Not a criticism, just the way things tend to be. To me, they look like a suitable, attractive couple. I actually think he's looking better and better as he ages. Of course, I won't state my age right now or that might explain it.:)

Also, I wasn't bothered by the shirtless scene at all, not once in all of the six times (so far) I've watched it (& freeze-framed). I suspect they may have intended it to be creepy, however. The big cat eyes on Morwenna's top were perfect for the scene (I missed that at first; wasn't looking at Morwenna so much, but someone mentioned it)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martin Clunes....skinny...he'd love to hear that. Of course I've been waiting...the man's physicality is so sensual. And it's not the structure of his body....it's the whole package and has always been that way.

Um, I have actually.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I, for one, am glad that Series 6 is over. That was so stressful!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    I, for one, am glad that Series 6 is over. That was so stressful!

No kidding. It's the first time I've watched a series unfold in real time and I had no idea it would be such a tense, scary thing.

When my little brother and I were very young, one of our favorite TV shows was "Lassie". It was a kid-friendly show, but in each episode something scary happened (think Timmy trapped in the old well) and the dog had to save the day. My brother always watched the scary parts by standing in the hallway, occasionally ducking back into the living room and glancing at the TV, then retreating again, with his hands alternately over his eyes or his ears. Then once Lassie rescued Timmy (or whoever) I would signal him and he would come back in to watch the rest of the episode.

I think a lot of us watched S6 in a similar way.
    Forum Member

YESSS, Mofromco, exactly!!! Although, I think I would have phrased it, "not just the structure of his body. . . .":D

And I love that Mrs. Merton clip too! :)
This discussion has been closed.