Options

The "Where is my BBC Regional News and EastEnders?" Thread

Comments

• Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AcerBen wrote: »
    I'm surprised they aren't shortening/dropping the news. I'm sure it's not unprecedented to drop the local news altogether.

ITV did so last week,
    steveh31 wrote: »
    I'm waiting for the forum member who will complain the regional news presenters are having to stay behind and claim overtime :D

Even more so for the later bulletins which were on aftrer midnight.
  • Options
    NoEntry2kNoEntry2k Posts: 14,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forgetting the arguments over which should have been dropped or moved, the news, the football, or EastEnders; what I find interesting is that RTE aired last nights EastEnders episode in Ireland, so they are now an episode ahead of the UK (until Thursday at least).

I guess it’s unavoidable, RTE have the rights to air EastEnders simultaneously with the BBC, but if the BBC drop it at the last minute (literally) you can’t really expect RTE to drop it too. Anyway, its very unusual that one of the big British soaps gets aired internationally before its aired in the UK.
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I am finding amazing is the amount of people saying they should put the World Cup on Sky Sports. Cause obviously the BBC and Sky just swap programmes, sports casually.

Infact the best one is in reply someone put "some people cannot afford Sky Sports, and they also pay the licence fee so are entitled to watch the World Cup" and in reply "Well the licence fee is for television not football, and maybe they should get Sky"
  • Options
    THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,452
    Forum Member
    ocav wrote: »
    What I am finding amazing is the amount of people saying they should put the World Cup on Sky Sports. Cause obviously the BBC and Sky just swap programmes, sports casually.

Infact the best one is in reply someone put "some people cannot afford Sky Sports, and they also pay the licence fee so are entitled to watch the World Cup" and in reply "Well the licence fee is for television not football, and maybe they should get Sky"

Well it won't go to any subscription TV broadcaster at present, as it is a listed event and it has to be on free to air TV, whether the BBC or a free to air commercial broadcaster.
    Ian.
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, i'm asking for trouble here - but from a purely logical point of view it would have made sense to me for them to just run the national and local news programmes on BBC News and keep Eastenders as scheduled. That way everyone gets to watch what they want to watch.

I can understand that some programming is so important that it needs to be on the BBC's main channel but I personally don't think the evening news ranks at that level. .
  • Options
    Gregory ShapeGregory Shape Posts: 2,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ok, i'm asking for trouble here - but from a purely logical point of view it would have made sense to me for them to just run the national and local news programmes on BBC News and keep Eastenders as scheduled. That way everyone gets to watch what they want to watch.

Local News on the BBC News channel? How would that work then...?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ah, good point.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Also, they can't put the local/regional news on BBC2 either as only BBC1 has the network set up to accompany this. (In England at least)
  • Options
    Lee MorrisLee Morris Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly if the Tories get in next year as well as in 2020 I can see The World Cup going to Sky and then Wimbledon will go after that meaning an end to the BBC, having said that the BBC have or are launching a Sports channel via an app on Google's Chromecast, Roku and Now TV so I wonder if we will see them fighting back and some sport being if it really takes off such as Wimbledon on that and BBC 1 and BBC 1's programmes going over to BBC 2?.
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks like we going to have to vote Labour next year then, Sure BBC and Labour has always been good friends.
  • Options
    THOMOTHOMO Posts: 7,452
    Forum Member
    Looks like we going to have to vote Labour next year then, Sure BBC and Labour has always been good friends.

Well I am an active local member of a certain political party!!:o:o:o
    Ian.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lee Morris wrote: »
    having said that the BBC have or are launching a Sports channel via an app on Google's Chromecast, Roku and Now TV.
    Are you sure that it's a channel as such, and not simply an app that gives you access to the BBC Sport connected TV content (the live streams that are available on the website)?
    BBC Sport App for Connected TV

Connected TV uses your broadband internet connection to bring online content directly on to your television. In addition to our sport coverage on network TV, the BBC Sport Connected TV App offers extra live streams from major sporting events such as live coverage from up to 12 courts at Wimbledon and up to 15 simultaneous live event streams for the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games.

The BBC Sport App for Connected TV also offers live coverage of popular sports throughout the sporting calendar including live formula one races, rugby union matches, athletics events including the Diamond League, tennis and snooker. The Sport App also provides a platform for showcasing sports that are not usually covered on network TV such as equestrian and triathlon.

Along with coverage of live events, the BBC Sport App for Connected TV also offers the latest video highlights and headlines for each major event, our most popular sports and for each of the UK nations. Simply select 'Choose Sport' at the bottom of the screen to navigate to your favourite Sport or major event:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/27047614
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sadly if the Tories get in next year as well as in 2020 I can see The World Cup going to Sky and then Wimbledon will go after that meaning an end to the BBC, having said that the BBC have or are launching a Sports channel via an app on Google's Chromecast, Roku and Now TV so I wonder if we will see them fighting back and some sport being if it really takes off such as Wimbledon on that and BBC 1 and BBC 1's programmes going over to BBC 2?.

Wouldnt happen. The World Cup and Wimbledon finals are listed events and therefore have to be on FTA channels, also, who is to say that Sky would take them?

The BBC have a strong relationship with the All England Club who are responsible for the broadcasting rights for Wimbledon, I doubt they would let Sky have them, one of the reasons Wimbledon is so big is because of the coverage that have been with the BBC for over 70 years. Even if ITV put a bid in, the AEC would probably choose the BBC.
  • Options
    djonshoredjonshore Posts: 4,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't worry it was announced a few weeks ago that the 2018 and 2022 FIFA World Cup will be shown live on BBC and ITV :)
  • Options
    chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    djonshore wrote: »
    If they are chasing for ratings, then why? BBC are not a commercial broadcaster like ITV who need ratings to attract and please advertisers.

The BBC could put the tennis on any of their channels as its available across the UK on any platform. It's not impossible to stick the tennis on BBC TWO. The same viewers who understand the '2' button will switch over to follow the tennis. There was a schedule in place on BBC TWO from 17:50-21:00 to show the tennis.

All this placing it on BBC one annoys people who have set their PVR. Even the ones who PVR the tennis and finding that what they recorded isn't what they wanted.

Also BBC iPlayer is an excuse the BBC will throw but its useless to those who don't have the Internet. There are areas of the UK that don't have broadband/4G/3G.

You moaning sucker. How dare you say that. >:(>:(>:(>:(>:
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just like to announce that Antiques Roadshow has been dropped tonight for overrunning Wimbledon final.
  • Options
    mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,436
    Forum Member
    With Wimbledon now underway, I thought it would be a good idea to resurrect this thread for another year.

Feel free to vent your disgust whenever any of your favourite programmes are shunted aside for tennis over the next fortnight. :)
  • Options
    Tony RichardsTony Richards Posts: 5,745
    Forum Member
    You may have to oil your remote so you can change channel to BBC2 :D Is it so difficult? Probably yes.
  • Options
    Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You may have to oil your remote so you can change channel to BBC2 :D Is it so difficult? Probably yes.

Ah-

Excellent.

Time for the first ' But the regional news can't be shown' on BBC2 post

15 Love.
  • Options
    DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here we go again, FOR THE SAKE OF JUST TWO WEEKS!

50 weeks everything is fine I'm sure people can live with delayed and moved schedules for two weeks!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lotrjw wrote: »
    Here we go again, FOR THE SAKE OF JUST TWO WEEKS!

50 weeks everything is fine I'm sure people can live with delayed and moved schedules for two weeks!

It's long since become a parody thread.

Enjoy.

30 - 15
  • Options
    mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,436
    Forum Member
    It's long since become a parody thread.

Enjoy.

30 - 15
    Yes but why can't the tennis be put on BBC Six so my routine of watching a few cockneys yell at each other every day doesn't get disrupted?!!!

30 all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    Yes but why can't the tennis be put on BBC Six so my routine of watching a few cockneys yell at each other every day doesn't get disrupted?!!!

30 all.

They should just put it on a BBC Sports channel!

Double fault.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They should just put it on a BBC Sports channel!

Double fault.

I think it's a waste of the license fee.

(don't really)
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The roof in the event of bad weather now plus the organisers order of play which are not influenced by the BBC makes it more difficult for the BBC to alter many BBC1 schedules after 6pm with Andy Murray still on court at 6pm or still to come on court after 6pm.