What should I do about my car?

2»

Comments

• gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gage wrote: »
    A car nearing 20 years old shouldn't really be on the road.

I'm assuming your model doesn't have air con, remote central locking and do 50 mpg, something that is quite essential in todays motoring.

If I was you i'd scrap it and just look for a new vehicle no older than 7 years

yes, Chris Evans should scrap this right now

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1278299/Chris-Evans-buys-Britains-expensive-car-Britain.html
  • lulu25lulu25 Posts: 552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'm assuming your model doesn't have air con, remote central locking and do 50 mpg, something that is quite essential in todays motoring.

Not really, my car is only a year younger than the OP's it's passed its last 2 MOTs and I have never had any problems with it.....
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP I have had my car 16 years. I bought it new, and had it serviced annually and look after it. My wife has had hers 40 years and done likewise. I only changed mine because I was fed up and wanted a new one, and I regretted it because the old one was better (I had that 15 years).

So the cheapest car owning is to buy new, look after it, and keep it. This only works of course if you don't do a large mileage. However it is worth trying even if you do, say, 12,000 miles per year.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnbee wrote: »
    OP I have had my car 16 years. I bought it new, and had it serviced annually and look after it. My wife has had hers 40 years and done likewise. I only changed mine because I was fed up and wanted a new one, and I regretted it because the old one was better (I had that 15 years).

So the cheapest car owning is to buy new, look after it, and keep it. This only works of course if you don't do a large mileage. However it is worth trying even if you do, say, 12,000 miles per year.

your wife has a M reg car,(74) unless its a rare ferrari, jag or porsche then thats terrible..

hopefully its not a viva or a maxi
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    your wife has a M reg car, unless its a rare ferrari, jag or porsche then thats terrible..

Nah. It'll be a Morris Marina. Twin carbs, naturally ;)
  • CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure a decent 10 year runaround can be had for £500-1000 down your local car auction or the small ads.

No sense in throwing money at a 18 year old car that's falling apart.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    I'm sure a decent 10 year runaround can be had for £500-1000 down your local car auction or the small ads.

No sense in throwing money at a 18 year old car that's falling apart.

The problem is being able to tell a good one from something thats a death trap, i remember buying a fiesta from an auction for a nice price(!), the problem was the engine needed a lot of work and the brakes....well hope and pray what was left would be ok to get it somewhere to be sorted etc
  • Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is it not really heavy though, more so than a car without power..??

if i try to move my wheel when the engines off its heavy as hell....

also is that safe???

I was going off what the garage said who have the car right there with the power steering disconnected.Obviously if the OP doesn't feel confident driving the car then it has to go.

Some cars will drive without the power steering, but you are correct, some can't be driven at all.
  • Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    your wife has a M reg car,(74) unless its a rare ferrari, jag or porsche then thats terrible..

I serviced and mot tested a 1975 Jag XJ6 last week....nothing wrong with it at all :)
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for advice up til now all.

For the short term I'll be holding onto it for maximum until my insurance renewal in October although I do want another garage to have a look at it.

I am confident driving the car as it is now and I can stay safe doing it. Believe me, if I wasn't I wouldn't dare!
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Disagree with that. I am driving a 15 year old car at the moment. It has all the things you mention (air-con, remote central locking and much more) It passed its MOT last month without any advisories and drives very nicely. No reason at all to scrap it.

My neighbour drives a 21 year old Honda. It never gives him any trouble at all, and loves MOTs. :cool:
  • oldcrakpotoldcrakpot Posts: 428
    Forum Member

Hi

Since when in the UK did you need air con, more like a hot water heater what's important with remote central locking they cost a bomb to repair and show me a car costing over £75.000 that does 50 mpg its not essential all that's needed is a vehicle to get you from A to B at a low annual cost
    What's so different about to days motoring in my day you were often drunk ,no speed limit and did not in some circumstances have a driving licence
  • oldcrakpotoldcrakpot Posts: 428
    Forum Member
    Andrue wrote: »
    Nah. It'll be a Morris Marina. Twin carbs, naturally ;)

Good on you, my greatest car was a Ford Anglia Super 1200 vintage 1966 with a Ford Capri 1600 engine Pull the choke out and put the interior heat fan on full blast trying to keep the engine temperature down I could hit 92mph

mpg perhaps 25, cost per gallon two shillings and sixpence, half a crown (25 pence)
    great days
  • trphiltrphil Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why? My 34 year old car is going just fine thank you and it was approaching 20 years old when I bought it. I toyed with the idea of fitting air-conditioning when I replaced the heater but it's rare that it would provide a benefit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    I prefer older cars, cheaper to buy and easier to work on.

My new 10 year old car, every part is available to buy new. The replacement model, you cannot buy some parts - eg engines are exchange only.

And I have used near 20 year old cars regularly.
  • ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My volvo is 20 years old and immaculate.Again its got through its mot last week.Ive spent 40 quid on it in a year.oil change plugs and an air filter. You can keep your expensive modern cars!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Another thing. Even though my car is full of electronics, the only essential system is the engine management and the only show stopper on that is the crank sensor.

Come to think of it will the older leaded ECUs out last the newer lead free ECUs?