Options

Scottish independence: let's have an honest debate (P3)

Comments

• Options
    saywhatyouseesaywhatyousee Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jenzen wrote: »
    You come across as someone who has taken all the above on board and are voting optimistically. RE the BIB however, most yes voters I know and have spoken to, are not as reasoned as you. They shrug off the consequences of no CU, not being in the EU, having to most likely adopt the euro to join the EU after a period of being outwith it etc. I feel they really have done next to no reading on the subject outwith of social media or yes pamphleting. I am still not 100% either way but I would have been far more likely to be a convinced yes voter if the SNP had a more honest approach over what will happen after a yes win regarding the CU and the EU.

Thank you and you are probably right about the majority of voters not really looking into the pros and cons enough. I cringe at times when I read comments on Facebook and the like from both sides.

We simply do not have the answers to these questions and that's that. We won't until they are talked through and resolved, hopefully with both sides getting some of what they argue for.

I really don't see why we wouldn't be accepted into the EU, but I guess your point is 'but under which terms?' and you are right, that is the crucial matter. Again, unfortunately, this will have to be negotiated. None of this is going to be easy I'm afraid. I'm not a politician y'see, so I can say this out loud...

So why then vote for it...? Because I think it's worth doing, I think we could be a successful small country, hopefully, from my point of view, with a left of centre government if the people vote for one. I don't care about our seat at the top table on the world stage, the UK punches above it's weight as it is imo. We need to take care of ourselves and our own people before we go poking our nose into other countries' problems.
  • Options
    JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    Think you'll find a lot of Scots, Welsh and Irish were there helping you "rule Empires and dominions.

It's attitudes and opinions such as this which send folks towards voting yes.

Which is exactly what I want.
  • Options
    LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    Let's have an honest debate about whether the Scottish should continue to take English jobs from English workers once they have been granted independence. There is almost a fascist tendency on the part of some who want independence to control the debate to their own ends. It's so similar to Ukraine, they might as well wear swastikas.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Think you'll find a lot of Scots, Welsh and Irish were there helping you "rule Empires and dominions.

I know, the Scots were at the front of slavery if I remember rightly.

It is you wanting to leave us duckymallard, you wanting to leave us. None of the associated rights/wrongs/misgivings are anything to do with us - it is all your fault.
  • Options
    MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's have an honest debate about whether the Scottish should continue to take English jobs from English workers once they have been granted independence.

I wonder what Gordon "British jobs for British workers" Brown would say. However I suggest you temper your verbiage lest it is not just the thread that gets locked....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    JT2060 wrote: »
    I have no need to read, digest etc. No one, and I mean no one, will trust you to repay. The English are the masters of 'f*******' others if they displease us.
    You are very rude to somebody who has expressed no opinion on voting :) and who is providing links to useful information that includes anti-independence material.

And to mRebel - you probably share my opinions on Rating Agencies, but they are what the lenders look at and that is what counts. This is 'realpolitik' in action.

To both mRebel and JT2060 - answer the discussion points rather than go for the personal attack. I've taken the trouble to read so that I know what I know and what I don't know. Based on some answers in this forum a lot of contributors seem to be getting told what they know by others - generally in the media.
  • Options
    CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Lets just hope it does ! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MartinP wrote: »
    I wonder what Gordon "British jobs for British workers" Brown would say. However I suggest you temper your verbiage lest it is not just the thread that gets locked....

Hold on.

What is the objection?

I sincerely hope it isn't a threat.

That the English should say that they don't want the Scottish in England if there is independence? If that is the case, then those in Scotland who are frightened about the ways of the separatists are right to be so. They clearly don't believe in open democratic discussion and that is the same attitude as the Nazis in Ukraine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MartinP wrote: »

Hopefully when the Scots run off to Nirvana, Gordon will return home and rule them; Tony too.

And all the other poisonous little dwarfs we have had to put up with. We wish you all a fond farewell.
  • Options
    Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Let's have an honest debate about whether the Scottish should continue to take English jobs from English workers once they have been granted independence. There is almost a fascist tendency on the part of some who want independence to control the debate to their own ends. It's so similar to Ukraine, they might as well wear swastikas.

That is astonishing to read. I seriously thought you were joking on the closed thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You are very rude to somebody who has expressed no opinion on voting :) and who is providing links to useful information that includes anti-independence material.

And to mRebel - you probably share my opinions on Rating Agencies, but they are what the lenders look at and that is what counts. This is 'realpolitik' in action.

To both mRebel and JT2060 - answer the discussion points rather than go for the personal attack. I've taken the trouble to read so that I know what I know and what I don't know. Based on some answers in this forum a lot of contributors seem to be getting told what they know by others - generally in the media.

Stop sounding like a bot and people might actually relate to you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hopefully when the Scots run off to Nirvana, Gordon will return home and rule them; Tony too.

And all the other poisonous little dwarfs we have had to put up with. We wish you all a fond farewell.

I completely agree. The Scottish Blair and Brown trashed our country.

Add Cook, Alexander 1 and 2, Rifkind and all the others who have enjoyed excessive representation.

You don't want us. We certainly don't want you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You wouldn't visit that upon us, surely....?:o:)
  • Options
    AbewestAbewest Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anndra_w wrote: »
    Nonsense. We've been told already that Scotland would qualify for the optimal credit rating if it were independent.

You've been told a lot of things that aren't true, or are only half-truths. But that's what they're hoping for, that you swallow it hook line and sinker. They can deal with the aftermath later, when you're struggling to make ends meet in a basket case economy, and they're still comfortable on their unaffected salaries from the tax take. There will be conditions attached. There's no guarantee that Scotland will qualify under the conditions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I know, the Scots were at the front of slavery if I remember rightly.

It is you wanting to leave us duckymallard, you wanting to leave us. None of the associated rights/wrongs/misgivings are anything to do with us - it is all your fault.
    Scotland and slavery - in fact the Scottish merchants came late into the three way slave trade and were pretty incompetent at it. Scots made money out of slavery in other ways, however - particularly sugar trading. Scots also were heavily involved in running plantations in the West Indies, but among the first slaves there were Scots prisoners from the battles of Dunbar and Worcester - not as many as are made out in some histories, but a reasonable number. It's also a little known fact that slavery was only made illegal in Scotland after the first antislavery bill was put before Parliament and there were slaves (colliers and other miners) up to that time.

Not relevant, but interesting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Delboy219 wrote: »
    That is astonishing to read. I seriously thought you were joking on the closed thread.

Well let's have "an honest debate" about it. Whether the Scottish should not be at Oxford and Cambridge, on the BBC in England, etc and the English agreeing in parallel not to be in Scottish universities, the Scottish BBC etc.

I favour it as underpinning true independence rather than a pretend version that is a la carte because the English have no say. I've got a union flag in my living room and have absolutely no say in whether it is to be made redundant in 10 days time. It is outrageous. So outrageous, I am likely to interpret any outcome as I see fit and I think many will do exactly the same. Precedence will be given to English workers for English jobs at the local level. Don't for one moment think that the majority of the population will just accept what has been dictated to them.

Incidentally, how ironic it is that an ardent Scottish Nationalist should have a comic South London spiv's name.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Stop sounding like a bot and people might actually relate to you.
    That's me I'm afraid - capable of sending my children to sleep without the use of childrens' books.

Seriously - opinions are always interesting and easy to read. Real information on which serious decisions should be made is a lot harder to get to and present.

Anyway - what's wrong with being an engineer on the spectrum?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's me I'm afraid - capable of sending my children to sleep without the use of childrens' books.

Seriously - opinions are always interesting and easy to read. Real information on which serious decisions should be made is a lot harder to get to and present.

You took that in good humour Colin....well held...
  • Options
    Angels_babyAngels_baby Posts: 1,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no need to read, digest etc. No one, and I mean no one, will trust you to repay. The English are the masters of 'f*******' others if they displease us.

Thank you for your educated and well informed opinion
  • Options
    JenzenJenzen Posts: 7,364
    Forum Member

I have been reading your posts with interest, particularly about oil, I appreciate the input. :)
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can see Salmonds point today.. if Osborne's new details are serious why are they only being announced AFTER voting has begun?
  • Options
    pedrokpedrok Posts: 16,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guarantee your present Nirvana will be gone - as you say, you Scots will have got what you voted for.

Yip. So why do you care?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You took that in good humour Colin....well held...

It's a self admiration society.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pedrok wrote: »
    Yip. So why do you care?

Am I not allowed an opinion?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Can see Salmonds point today.. if Osborne's new details are serious why are they only being announced AFTER voting has begun?

It's called politics. Now wait for Alec's raise you......