Options

Should cold calls be banned after 8pm?

Comments

• Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    Really? Who would actually buy that? Sometimes you're going to get a wanted call from a number you can't know beforehand...
    That's where the TrueCall unit comes in. If the caller number is not known they are invited to say their name then the unit 'calls' your phone and plays it for you. You then have the choice of rejecting the call, accepting it, sending it to answer machine or accepting it and noting it for next time.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andrue wrote: »
    That's where the TrueCall unit comes in. If the caller number is not known they are invited to say their name then the unit 'calls' your phone and plays it for you. You then have the choice of rejecting the call, accepting it, sending it to answer machine or accepting it and noting it for next time.

Not a bad idea, though it still requires as much effort on the receiver's part as just taking the call then hanging up as soon as they realise who it is.
  • Options
    linmiclinmic Posts: 13,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tucks21 wrote: »
    Cold calls should be banned period. Hate them>:(

Me too. The problem I have is that I have a very elderly mother and a father in law with Alzheimer's so when the phone rings I always have to answer it even if the number shows and being 'withheld' just in case its the hospital or carer or a neighbour ringing to tell me there's a problem. I get very annoyed only to find its someone trying to sell me a new boiler or double glazing. >:(
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LaineyT wrote: »
    they can be used by a company based in England to cold call you,because they are based in India they get around the TPS
    That is wrong.

If anyone is making calls on behalf of a UK company then where they are in the world is irrelevant. They have to abide by UK law and filter their lists via the TPS database.
    Companies based abroad who call into the UK and who are making calls on behalf of UK based companies, must comply with UK regulations and screen their call lists against the Telephone Preference Service (TPS) before making an unsolicited sales and marketing call to a UK telephone number. We do make the file available to overseas based companies under licence for the purpose of suppression so they know whom not to telephone but, many overseas companies who telephone the UK on their own account from overseas do so to avoid legal and self regulatory restrictions.
    If you have received a live unsolicited direct marketing call from overseas from a company that you can identify and whom you think may be a UK company please log a complaint with TPS using the online complaints form.
    If is deemed by TPS that the unsolicited direct marketing call that you received from overseas was from or made on behalf of a company with presence in the UK we will investigate, and raise a complaint in the UK against the offending company where it is possible to do so.
    We advise caution in responding to unsolicited sales and marketing telephone calls from overseas especially if they are asking you to send them money or using a premium rate phone line (numbers beginning with 09). If you receive an unsolicited sales and/or marketing call from an overseas company you should contact the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) who are the body responsible for enforcing the Privacy and Electronic (EC Directive) Communications Regulations 2003.
    http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/contactfaq.php
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    Cold calls should be made totally illegal at any time. They're a bloody nuisance.

Mind, I think they do phones now in which you just programme in the numbers you want to allow, and all the rest are auto blocked.

I wouldn't mind that but would worry that something important like an emergency wouldn't get through.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    linmic wrote: »
    Me too. The problem I have is that I have a very elderly mother and a father in law with Alzheimer's so when the phone rings I always have to answer it even if the number shows and being 'withheld' just in case its the hospital or carer or a neighbour ringing to tell me there's a problem. I get very annoyed only to find its someone trying to sell me a new boiler or double glazing. >:(

A simple solution would be to have mobile numbers of any carers for your parents
  • Options
    EmmersonneEmmersonne Posts: 4,532
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mind that but would worry that something important like an emergency wouldn't get through.

Yes, I nearly hung up on a late night call from a lady with a strong accent who asked "is this Mrs Emmersonne?" - luckily I didn't, she was a nurse telling me a relative had been rushed to hospital and to come immediately.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A simple solution would be to have mobile numbers of any carers for your parents

I have got them and also given mine to neighbours etc but my father in laws carers change by the day (nobody seems to do the job for long). My mum was recently taken into hospital after a fall and the hospital rang me but their number was 'unknown' on my mobile. I'm also getting lots of cold calls on my mobile phone which is even more frustrating! There doesn't seem to be an easy answer.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So it appears impossible to stop this vermin from phoning. If one has the time, just answer their questions with non-committal answers, pretend you are interested, ask them questions,and just waste their damn time, telling them after a long call you are not interested in their garbage company.

I am sure if more people did this calls may cease as cold calling would then be non-productive. It is easy for me as I am retired and do have more time to get at these people but I do think every little thing I can do to exterminate these vermin organisations will help a bit. Ever rat that is killed off is one that will not breed.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If anyone has 3 minutes to spare, this youtube prank call is hilarious. [long story short, a guy sick of cold calls decided to pretend he was a detective and that the caller had just rung a murder scene and was now a suspect]:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvJQxgtJW94
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    So it appears impossible to stop this vermin from phoning. If one has the time, just answer their questions with non-committal answers, pretend you are interested, ask them questions,and just waste their damn time, telling them after a long call you are not interested in their garbage company.

I am sure if more people did this calls may cease as cold calling would then be non-productive. It is easy for me as I am retired and do have more time to get at these people but I do think every little thing I can do to exterminate these vermin organisations will help a bit. Ever rat that is killed off is one that will not breed.

Or you could just answer the phone and leave them to chatter away on the coffee table while you go and do the washing up. It blocks their line and it means they cant pester someone else.
  • Options
    AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When they call, never confirm your name. Tell them "xxx does not live here" - make sure they get NO information about you at all.

If you have the time, you can engage them in a bit of conversation (give them completely false information e.g. your name is Mr. Cartwright-Amity Jones ... then tell them you are in a lot of trouble with the credit card companies and don't know if your payment would go thought to them. The last company you tried to pay for a new phone contract ended up in a big mess with the bank which took weeks to sort out.

That should get rid of them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or you could just answer the phone and leave them to chatter away on the coffee table while you go and do the washing up. It blocks their line and it means they cant pester someone else.
    Unfortunately it doesn't. All they have to do is hang up and they can call someone else. Meanwhile it is YOUR line that is blocked for anyone else who may need to call you.
  • Options
    InMyArmsInMyArms Posts: 50,792
    Forum Member
    I'd prefer it if I never got a cold call again. I've had many, many and never has a single one been anything i've wanted to hear or benefited me in any way, I can only imagine that the majority feel the same.
  • Options
    silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    pugamo wrote: »
    I pulled the plug on my home phone. The only people who called it were our grandmothers, cold callers or other people you wouldn't want to talk to like work or the bank.

:D:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    Jenny_SawyerJenny_Sawyer Posts: 12,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They should be banned, full stop period.>:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Unfortunately it doesn't. All they have to do is hang up and they can call someone else. Meanwhile it is YOUR line that is blocked for anyone else who may need to call you.

Pah! Back to the drawing board :(
  • Options
    silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    I must admit that as soon as I hear an Asian voice on the other end I put the phone down, usually on its back for half an hour. >:(>:( I nearly missed an important call the other day, tho, as the caller had an Asian accent but the call was genuine! :confused::D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pah! Back to the drawing board :(

Works the other way round. If you call someone and don't hang up then their line is held open until you do. Even if they hang up and try to dial again. It's how some scammers operate.

They call you pretending to be your bank or whatever. You say you will call them back on a number you know is genuine. But they don't hang up so when you try to dial the real number they are still on the line and "answer" the call themselves. Hoping that that will convince you they are genuine. I've even heard that some scammers play a recording of dial tone down the line to make it even more convincing!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    `?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
  • Options
    TadpoleTadpole Posts: 1,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Call from 08004101230 last night, company calling itself the "Full Financial Review"
    Offering me a mortgage review.
    I old them I was with TPS and they should not be calling.
    "Are you a commercial company or a government department?"
    "A commercial company"
    "Don't you realise you are not supposed to be cold-calling individuals who are TPS registered?"
    "When did you last renew your TPS subscription"
    "9 years ago"
    "Are you aware you are supposed to renew your TPS subscription every six months? ... Anyway we think our service is so important that you should put that issue to one side for a minute ... and listen as we can save you a lot of money. Do you have a mortgage?"
    "TPS is for life. Let me write down your number, I will report you to the TPS"
    I then hung up.
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    i think they should be banned 24/7
  • Options
    StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So much for Sunday being a 'day of rest'

I make arrangements to contact the people i know, and have my phone unplugged the rest of the time... ahhh peace

The day, these idiots have moved onto hassling people via their mobile phones on the same scale they do, with landline numbers, is the day i chuck my mobile into the ocean
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The phone rang at about 8.00pm yesterday. I looked at it, saw it was a Leeds number on the caller ID so I answered it.

It was someone cold calling from Asia. I hung up and double checked the number, it was definitely a Leeds number showing on the caller ID.

So, it seems they now have technology to pretend they are calling from a local number making you more likely to answer the phone!
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The phone rang at about 8.00pm yesterday. I looked at it, saw it was a Leeds number on the caller ID so I answered it.

It was someone cold calling from Asia. I hung up and double checked the number, it was definitely a Leeds number showing on the caller ID.

So, it seems they now have technology to pretend they are calling from a local number making you more likely to answer the phone!

These gateway business numbers are usually irregular such as 01234567890 or just 4 digits. I have CLID so I just check the number on Google and then label it as a Pest call on my phone. Being forewarned I then have options. :kitty: