Options

Best music biopic you've seen?

BikoBiko Posts: 2,419
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm in the middle of watching "Control" and its really good..

really liked the Buddy Holly one aswell for some reason

Comments

• Options
    TomDaOneTomDaOne Posts: 11,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vague as ever. Your assuming everyone here knows who "Control" is about. I don't and neither do I know what the Buddy Holly biopic you mention too is called.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^ Control is about Ian Curtis, lead singer of Joy Division. It's really good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i saw notorious, about biggie smalls, and i must admit i teared up when he died in the end, even though i knew it was going to happen. how shameful.
  • Options
    TomDaOneTomDaOne Posts: 11,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hera wrote: »
    ^ Control is about Ian Curtis, lead singer of Joy Division. It's really good.

Thanks. :) Now I know.
  • Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Presumably, the Buddy Holly story is The Buddy Holly Story from 1978 starring Gary Busey. That's a good one; personally I give the biggest thumbs up to Jessica Lange as Patsy Cline in 1985's 'Sweet Dreams', and also Sissy Spacek as Loretta Lynn in 1980's 'Coal Miner's Daughter'.

The Village People in 'Can't Stop The Music' also however fits the genre of sorts and I'm rather partial to that too.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    I loved both Walk the Line about Johnny Cash and Ray about Ray Charles, they're fairly similar in the way they're made I think. Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon were great in Walk the Line, they did their own singing and were very good.
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i agree with 'control', it's excellent.

i also like 'sid & nancy', the one with chloe webb as nancy.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ken Russell's 1968 Delius biopic for the BBC: "Song of Summer" with the wonderful Max Adrian as Delius.
  • Options
    RussellIanRussellIan Posts: 12,034
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Ken Russell's 1968 Delius biopic for the BBC: "Song of Summer" with the wonderful Max Adrian as Delius.

Oh good call, I'd completely disregarded anything outside of the 'popular' ie latter half of the 20th century music scene originally. However fanciful they may be, I'd have to now revise my opinion and say The Music Lovers and Mahler. Lisztomania would be taking a little too big a bite of the biscuit, I concede.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biko wrote: »
    I'm in the middle of watching "Control" and its really good..

agreed, "Control" is excellent, probably wouldn't have been so good done in colour, Black and white really makes it IMO
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    RussellIan wrote: »
    Oh good call, I'd completely disregarded anything outside of the 'popular' ie latter half of the 20th century music scene originally. However fanciful they may be, I'd have to now revise my opinion and say The Music Lovers and Mahler. Lisztomania would be taking a little too big a bite of the biscuit, I concede.

Robert Powell as Mahler was superb casting. Roger Daltrey as Liszt was Ken being perverse.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,433
    Forum Member
    nick334 wrote: »
    I loved both Walk the Line about Johnny Cash and Ray about Ray Charles, they're fairly similar in the way they're made I think. Joaquin Phoenix and Reese Witherspoon were great in Walk the Line, they did their own singing and were very good.

This :) I love Walk The Line :p
  • Options
    Havelock VetinariHavelock Vetinari Posts: 13,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Karen Carpenter story is superb. I cry every time I watch it, I just wish it didn't have such a tragic ending. It deals with Richard's addiction to sleeping pills, and Karen's problem with anorexia.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oliver Stone's The Doors.
  • Options
    solaresolare Posts: 11,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "The Glenn Miller Story"

Also "Bird" (the story of Charlie Parker).
  • Options
    ScoundreldaysScoundreldays Posts: 1,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Karen Carpenter story is superb. I cry every time I watch it, I just wish it didn't have such a tragic ending. It deals with Richard's addiction to sleeping pills, and Karen's problem with anorexia.

That would be mine as well.