Living to 100

mrkeenmrkeen Posts: 1,171
Forum Member
✭✭✭

Nearly one in five people currently in the UK will live to see their 100th birthday, according to the government.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12091758

Nearly 40 years of retirement to the expense of the tax-payer, sat at home all day. This makes little sense to me. If this prediction is accurate some drastic reforms need addressing. How the hell can we afford this? Everyone is different, many people will get cancer, it is no good setting one retirement age for all.

Comments

• GirthGirth Posts: 12,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People should be culled at 65, Logan's-Run style.
  • PretinamaPretinama Posts: 6,069
    Forum Member
    Girth wrote: »
    People should be culled at 65, Logan's-Run style.

In Logan's Run people went through carousel at 30. I'd be long gone.

To be honest it's a bit depressing that it's *only* to 100. What about immortality?
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrkeen wrote: »

Nearly 40 years of retirement to the expense of the tax-payer, sat at home all day. This makes little sense to me. If this prediction is accurate some drastic reforms need addressing. How the hell can we afford this? Everyone is different, many people will get cancer, it is no good setting one retirement age for all.

You begrudge the fact that 1 in 5 will live to 100?

Really?

There are some sour, depressed, miserable old misers out there, I just can't believe it
  • HelbrownHelbrown Posts: 3,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's hardly "living", more like existing. If I get to the stage where I have to sit in a chair and can't drive myselfe to rock concerts I am doing myself and the taxpayer a favour and getting out of here.
  • Lincoln HawkLincoln Hawk Posts: 1,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It scares me to be honest, because I don't see where the money is going to come from to support us all. The retirement age will likely have to be raised to 80. And old people are not going to be able to expect all the perks that the elderly get today such as free transport etc.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Pretinama wrote: »
    In Logan's Run people went through carousel at 30. I'd be long gone.

To be honest it's a bit depressing that it's *only* to 100. What about immortality?

Some people would only see the problems of immortality and think of how much it cost.

A lot of people do want to keep working after the retirement age, but there is still a huge prejudice against older people in a lot of professions.
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Without reasonable mental faculties and a reasonable level of physical freedom - pull the plug for me.
  • mrkeenmrkeen Posts: 1,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    You begrudge the fact that 1 in 5 will live to 100?

Really?

There are some sour, depressed, miserable old misers out there, I just can't believe it

oh yes, because seeing a way to pay for something means the same as begrudging:rolleyes:

There are some fickle, uncalculating, sterotypical young fools in here, i well believe it.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It scares me to be honest, because I don't see where the money is going to come from to support us all. The retirement age will likely have to be raised to 80. And old people are not going to be able to expect all the perks that the elderly get today such as free transport etc.

Inevitably, in the years to come, the retirement age will be raised further and further as life expectancy continues to rise. Or at any rate, the age at which one can receive state retirement pension.

Otherwise we will have a huge cadre of people doing nothing and living off the efforts of working age people.

I don't think they should get the free perks now. We can't afford the luxury
  • RetrospectiveRetrospective Posts: 3,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I was a wee girl people that were in their sixties that was the age that a lot of people died. Some lived until they were in their eighties but it was rare. With all the advancement in medicine people that are living to a ripe old age now wouldn't have done in their parents day.
    To be honest the thought of living until I'm a 100 frightens me. I think one of the worst and sad illnesses is dementia and if like they say people are going to live to a 100 then maybe its about time that there was a cure for this disease as what quality of life is an old person with this illness going to have.
    You read about people especially young people being obese and abusing their bodies with alcohol. If that the case then we will be outliving our children.
  • IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And you in turn will be one of these people sitting at home at the expense of the tax payer.
  • MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A couple of points on this issue:

The stupid attitude of "I don't want to live to 100 as I don't want to be old or incapable"

What a lot of people fail to get is that as time moves forward a number of illnesses will become curable/treatable. People will tend to become fitter and healtier thanks to medical advancements. Future 100 year olds may have the stamina and health of a 50/60 year old.

The younger generation of today will have little chance of reaching 100 unless they change their attitudes and lifestyle.

Excessive drinking, drug taking and smoking does not help the cause and it seems that more younger people than ever are misusing these.
  • Red OkktoberRed Okktober Posts: 10,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Something will have to give. People living longer due to improvements in medicine and better diets combined with mass immigration = a recipe for disaster

Heaven help us if they ever find a cure for cancer and heart disease
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nature will probably have a cull, or for conspiracy theorists a virus will probably be unleashed by some government.
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Helbrown wrote: »
    It's hardly "living", more like existing. If I get to the stage where I have to sit in a chair and can't drive myselfe to rock concerts I am doing myself and the taxpayer a favour and getting out of here.

My Grandmother lived to nearly 102 and I can assure you, she didnt just "exist".

She lived in her own home and was often found out and about.

Not everyone who gets older shuffles around
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If you were to die now then you wouldn't have to pay tax for all those people who are sat at home all day for 40 years nor for every Tom, Dick and Harry who decides to come into the country.
  • Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    slyfox51 wrote: »
    If you were to die now then you wouldn't have to pay tax for all those people who are sat at home all day for 40 years nor for every Tom, Dick and Harry who decides to come into the country.

Assuming your profile is accurate and you retired at 65 you've been doing it for nearly 43 years now. Are you bored yet?
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    It's likely I'll live to a long age, my family I think have a history of living long. I probably would be fairly active though and do my best to be out and about and meeting people and having a few hobbies to keep me busy. I wouldn't be sitting in a chair all day doing nothing.
  • jabegyjabegy Posts: 6,201
    Forum Member
    My mum was nearly 93 when she died after a short illness. She was still living in her own flat, doing her own cooking and shopping and generally as fit as a 93 year old can be. I intend to be the same.

I'm 67, I'm out most days of the week, meeting up with different friends, or my sister, going to the pictures, lunching or mooching round the shops, and generally enjoying myself. Do I feel guilty about being a drain on society, NO ! I do not.
  • mrkeenmrkeen Posts: 1,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok, let us look at it this way, the average person pays into the system for 40 years. If they then take 40 years out of the system through a lengthy retirement they have not contribution ANYTHING to the state. And through rising inflation and NHS etc, they have actually cost the state just like all other benefit claimants. This raises the problem that if we are paying longer and more for pensioners upkeep, single mothers, disabled, jobless. Then what is left for NHS, Schools, defense, expensive swindling politicians, etc. Ed Miliband was whinging about the cuts coming in next year, this is nothing compared to what it will be like in 20/30 years time. But let us sod tomorrow and just think of today, stick our heads in the sand. Rant over.
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At this rate you'll retire at 80! And the younger generations will find it even more difficult to find jobs
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thing is a lot of retired people are not sitting at home doing nothing. My grandmother lived to be 97 and she retired at 70 having worked from the age of 15. In her retirement she looked after so many people. She'd visit older (and slightly younger) friends and relatives and take them home-baked food and help with their shopping and housework. I used to find it funny that she'd be concerned about 'the elderly' when she was old herself. She looked after her grandchildren (I was one of them) so our mothers could work.

Granny also helped out with a mobile library that went to rural districts.

She did everything for free and all of that would have cost a fortune if she hadn't contributed.

She was one of the lucky ones health-wise, never sick and passed away in her sleep in 2001. Still miss her.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Accept that these people will not be at home.
    They will be stuffed in a corner in some grotty old folks home and left to rot there.
    One thing is for sure, many will be abandoned by their offspring.
    Most will die well before they reach 100 years old and the greedy government knows this which is why the retirement age is 70.
    Yes 70 year old's are expected to be able to get employed, don't make me laugh.
    Do not forget that the elderly of today are people who have worked all there lives, fought a war to keep this country Great Britian and paid into the national insurance system.
    Thank goodness that euthanasia has not been introduced yet. They deserve a decent retirement.
    In the future euthanasia will be introduced and Inheritance will be disallowed with the government getting all monies and assets from the deceased.
    The tax payer will always pay taxes regardless.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Delete
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't us all living longer create more jobs? Hospitals, healthcare, the leisure industry, and in the acting profession - there'd be a huge demand for more episodes of Midsomer Murder, Heartbeat plus a great opportunity for remakes of Murder She Wrote.