Richard Dawkins

xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
Forum Member
His new series started mon 10 pm on More 4 .......
A tour of the devastation after the London riots of 2011........ was this breakdown caused by the lack of religion and morality in the general population ?

In the end Richard was assured that the gradual decline of religion was a good thing and making people and society more and more humane.

Got to say though , that the charming Richard was looking a bit dishevelled... and showing his age ... 70+
You'd think that makeup could have groomed him a little for the cameras and some sharper suits would have helped ... instead of the drab jackets and get up he appeared in.

He is of course married to the Doc Who babe........ Lalla Ward ..... ( lucky devil )

Comments

• HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well the day he does an OK! or Hello! cover shoot is the day I disown him. Long may he stay dishevelled.
  • SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dawkins may make himself an easy target with his outspokeness, but I'm glad there're people like him around.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    And this is to do with zoology how?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    xxtimbo wrote: »
    A tour of the devastation after the London riots of 2011........ was this breakdown caused by the lack of religion and morality in the general population ?

In the end Richard was assured that the gradual decline of religion was a good thing and making people and society more and more humane.

Got to say though , that the charming Richard was looking a bit dishevelled... and showing his age ... 70+
    You'd think that makeup could have groomed him a little for the cameras and some sharper suits would have helped ... instead of the drab jackets and get up he appeared in.

He is of course married to the Doc Who babe........ Lalla Ward ..... ( lucky devil )

I wish Dicky would give it a rest, he's become a parody of himself what with the 'fairy tale replacement science book'
  • xxtimboxxtimbo Posts: 8,877
    Forum Member
    I wonder when he s going to take on Islam ?
    .... maybe not too good an idea... remember what happened
    to Salman !
  • SurferfishSurferfish Posts: 7,659
    Forum Member
    Semierotic wrote: »
    Dawkins may make himself an easy target with his outspokeness, but I'm glad there're people like him around.

Whenever I see him on TV I'm reminded what a mild-mannered, reasonable gent he actually is as oppose to the raving, aggressive atheist that he's commonly depicted as.

I enjoyed the program and thought it was interesting that despite what we read in the press society has actually improved as religion has diminished over the last 50 years. Less wars, serious crimes, abuse and discrimination etc.
  • be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    to Salman !
    Strange question. I don't believe Dawkins targets specific religions.:confused:
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnF1971 wrote: »
    Whenever I see him on TV I'm reminded what a mild-mannered, reasonable gent he actually is as oppose to the raving, aggressive atheist that he's commonly depicted as.

I enjoyed the program and thought it was interesting that despite what we read in the press society has actually improved as religion has diminished over the last 50 years. Less wars, serious crimes, abuse and discrimination etc.

It may have happened anyway if we had seperated Religion from state, as we become more secular we seem to improve generally.
  • sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    johnF1971 wrote: »

Couldn't agree with you more. I'm always bemused at some of the more, shall we say, slightly biased ;) descriptions of him. I've yet to witness a more mild-mannered man.
  • MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was no breakdown caused by the lack of religion and morality in the general population. It was all localised as far as I could tell.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Tell him to move towards the light.:D
    Forum Member
    He was on aljazeera tv for an hour today 2nd aug... facing an audience in the Oxford debating chamber

A charming man, cool, eloquent... convincing in his arguement and logic.

Unphased by the audience of christians and muslims as he basically
    tells them their religions and beliefs are based on fairytales and myth.

A brave man too when you consider the fanaticism that is abroad today.
  • ian_charlesian_charles Posts: 578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    to Salman !

Islam is the religion of peace......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    I really dislike him a lot.
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ramo1234 wrote: »
    I really dislike him a lot.

Why?.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    vosne wrote: »
    Why?.

It's the way he comes across all "intelligent and up himself" and thinks he's better than religious people etc. He talks s***e about religion and make out that all religious people are bad people when not all of them are and retorts to personal insults like "they're mental" or "they worship sky fairy".

He's an arrogant, ignorant man. >:(
  • vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the way he comes across all "intelligent and up himself" and thinks he's better than religious people etc. He talks s***e about religion and make out that all religious people are bad people when not all of them are and retorts to personal insults like "they're mental" or "they worship sky fairy".

I don't think he makes out that "all religious people are bad people" at all. In fact I know he doesn't. He thinks they are all deluded and / or misguided. Some of course may also be bad. As some atheists etc may be. No idea why you'd say something that is plainly not true.

As for the arrogance - not sure I see that myself. But then perhaps being me I wouldn't. Personally think he just has strongly held ideas and opinions and has no shyness about putting them forward.
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He talks s***e about religion

Au contraire; he talks a lot of sense when it comes to religion.
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    He's a bit of a marmite character to be honest. I agree about some things he says and disagree with others... I do think he is arrogant though.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member

Are you sure you're not thinking of another Dawkins, because that doesn't sound like Richard?
  • Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member

He's not arrogant., he speaks with a posh accent that's all. And ignorant? No, he's a very well-educated man.

It's nice to listen to someone who isn't afraid to expose the church and religion for what it is.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I believe in fairies, yes I do, I do! I do!
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved that song he did, 'Damn I wish I was your lover".
    Forum Member
    Christopher Hitchesns was basically ploughing the same furrow
    over in the USA
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,833
    Forum Member

A rather strange post. I think an objection to personal insults might be more convincing if you had refrained from making them yourself; particularly such ill-founded ones.