Options

Does Christmas Come Along Too Often?

13»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    Them times where you think to yourself, "Why do I bother posting on such stuff like this"....
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well that was the pagan/Celtic version, which, being pre-Christian, wasn't Christmas but Yuletide. Rather than celebrating the solstice as such, it was surely about celebrating the fact the days were henceforth going to start to get longer and the other symptoms of winter, like the cold and lack of vegetation, were also about to abate.

Christmas is just the current name. 99% of people don't give a second thought to Christian myth on Christmas Day.

Since humanity has lived as a society there's been a festival around the shortest day... it's only been labelled Christmas in the last couple of percent of its existence.

In a thousand years it probably won't be called Christmas any more, and there probably won't be any Christians at all... but there'll still be a midwinter festival.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ramo1234 wrote: »
    It's not being shoved down anybody's throat.

oh c'mon now! It does get shoved down our throats a bit! :p
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    It's not JUST Christmas - the Creme Eggs are back in my local garage for the last three weeks!

:o >:( Don't you dare say a bad word about yummy Creme eggs!
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    Christmas is just the current name. 99% of people don't give a second thought to Christian myth on Christmas Day.

Since humanity has lived as a society there's been a festival around the shortest day... it's only been labelled Christmas in the last couple of percent of its existence.

In a thousand years it probably won't be called Christmas any more, and there probably won't be any Christians at all... but there'll still be a midwinter festival.

I think you are way off with your figures there seeing as there are at least 2+ billion Christians worldwide today.

Also, the shortest day is on 21st December not the 25th - so I take it you've already had your celebration this year?

Finally, I don't think you have the foresight to predict the future - much like any of us, so I guess that is more wishful thinking on your part?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    nethwen wrote: »
    I think you are way off with your figures there seeing as there are at least 2+ billion Christians worldwide today.

Also, the shortest day is on 21st December not the 25th - so I take it you've already had your celebration this year?

Finally, I don't think you have the foresight to predict the future - much like any of us, so I guess that is more wishful thinking on your part?

^ This.
  • Options
    DynopiaDynopia Posts: 1,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. Instead I think there should be a ban of anything christmas until December 1st!!
  • Options
    MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    You could say the same about people who moan because people don't share their opinion about it. It's hard to express disagreement without someone moaning about others moaning.

There was an overly rabid EDL style poster on another thread saying something similar about his regularly stated "opinions" on Islam. Opinions are fine but constant streams of bile are as open to challenge as any other form of bigotry.
    Dynopia wrote: »
    No. Instead I think there should be a ban of anything christmas until December 1st!!

A definite + 1 on this though.
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nethwen wrote: »

The "2 billion Christians" includes things like 70-odd percent of the UK... which is clearly not actually true. People say "Christian" as a cultural thing, not as a religious thing in such things. Go to any mainstream CoE Church in mid-July, and you'll see a congregation of 3 or 4 elderly people.

My prediction is simply based on history, and how the fads of religion have come and gone, and have done many times before, combined with the current statistics of how religious belief generally drops off a cliff when countries become more developed. Look at the rates of actual religious belief in the last 40 years in Europe. In a thousand years. the only thing I'm "wishful thinking" about is that the bulk of the world will be developed, and I hope you would be too.

There will be a midwinter celebration in 1000 years. There always has been.
  • Options
    leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Richard Herring today argues that Roy Wood of Wizzard got it wrong in his song. He feels once every four years like the Olympics would be better making it that much more special than the annual indulgence fest it has become.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/12/20/richard-herring-ponders-what-life-would-be-like-if-roy-wood-got-his-wish-and-it-really-was-christmas-every-day-4236927/?ITO=news-sitemap
    If we moved christmas to feb 29 then it would be every four yrs
  • Options
    BlofeldBlofeld Posts: 8,233
    Forum Member
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Some shops are stripping xmas from the shelves already" M&S was taking down all their xmas items such as crackers and wrapping paper, an they are laready selling new year party food.

Surely ts best to leave everything there until after xmas?

Now Now, people who sit in offices have deiced that's how Christmas should be celebrated...from October 31st until December 24th, around 6pm.

When I worked in a well known high street newsagent we had about 4 refits of the store decorations between Halloween and January.

When Halloween was over we put up the 1st wave of Christmas stuff in the store. The staff were kept for 2 hours after closing time tearing down the Halloween stuff and sticking up Christmas promotions so it was all ready for November 1st.

Then, around the start of December we had to tear all that down and put up slightly different Christmas stuff with slightly different offers and bring out more chocolates, cards and calendars and expand all of that to take up more shelf space and minimise a few things like stationary and household goods for a few weeks. Then on Christmas eve we shut up shop at 4pm and we were all in until 6pm tearing down all traces of Christmas and putting up sales promotions in time for Boxing day opening time!

On December 31st we tore all that stuff down and put up promotional stuff for back to school, diaries and calendars. We also took this chance to clear the stockroom of literally any old crap that had been kicking around all year. Stuff without a barcode was just put out for anything between 50p and £3 and put in a big box with "sale" on the front. That was empty by the end of Boxing day!

Finally, around January 10th we tore all that down and put up Valentines day crap, then in time for February 15th it was Easter promotions!

When I finally left the store in late August time, the Christmas promotional posters had started arriving (with instructions that it was to be stored until Halloween) and the floor and shelf plans for Christmas products were already being sent from head office!
  • Options
    StrmChaserSteveStrmChaserSteve Posts: 2,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prisoners Won't Receive Parcels This Christmas
    http://news.sky.com/story/1186467/prisoners-wont-receive-parcels-this-christmas

I'm amazed that they did in the first place.
    Considering all the security involved of having to open every single one, otherwise anything could be smuggled in
  • Options
    Duncan JDuncan J Posts: 2,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Two Januaries'? I don't understand-and are you saying 'No Christmas'-i.e. an absence of Christmas-would have this effect? Or were you meaning to say, 'No, Christmas effectively means having two Januaries'-the comma between the first word and Christmas meaning that you are saying that this is the state of affairs with Christmas.

An absence of Christmas would have the effect of having two months in the winter (similar depressing weather, very short days) that are like January, without anything much to distinguish them. It was a (clearly ineffective) attempt at saying Christmas brightens up part of the winter.
  • Options
    shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every ten years would suit me.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Duncan J wrote: »
    An absence of Christmas would have the effect of having two months in the winter (similar depressing weather, very short days) that are like January, without anything much to distinguish them. It was a (clearly ineffective) attempt at saying Christmas brightens up part of the winter.

There would still be New Year. I know many people don't bother with it anymore, but if there was no Christmas and that's all there was then I imagine more people would make an occasion of it.
  • Options
    Duncan JDuncan J Posts: 2,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    There would still be New Year. I know many people don't bother with it anymore, but if there was no Christmas and that's all there was then I imagine more people would make an occasion of it.

Probably, but then people like the OP would just complain about New Year instead :D