Products etc to keep frizzy/curly hair straight

vitaminzvitaminz Posts: 383
Forum Member
Hi,

My fiancee has really, really frizzy/curly hair and she has to spend about an hour straightening it every time she washes it as otherwise it'll be almost like an afro!

May seem a little unusual but for Valentine's I want to either pay for her to have it treated somehow or buy her some product that'll help - I just have no idea what to look for. I'm not worried about the cost so I just want what'll work best!

Any ideas?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vitaminz wrote: »
    Hi,

My fiancee has really, really frizzy/curly hair and she has to spend about an hour straightening it every time she washes it as otherwise it'll be almost like an afro!

May seem a little unusual but for Valentine's I want to either pay for her to have it treated somehow or buy her some product that'll help - I just have no idea what to look for. I'm not worried about the cost so I just want what'll work best!

Any ideas?

Not sure about a Valentine's treat but I have found since I started using John Frieda Full Restore products things have hugely improved, I have really thick frizzy hair.

You could pay for her to have a relaxing treatment, but they're murder on your hair. Or just a very expensive straightening treatment at the hairdressers, then go out for a nice dressed-up dinner afterwards. But permanent results will hugely dry out her hair.

Good luck, let us know what you find!
  • thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's a nice gesture, and unfortunately the product I have that works isn't very glam-looking! It's the Superdrug curl cream, which helps hair dry smoothly (straight or curly, in my experience).

Does she like her hair when it's curly but smooth and not frizzy, or does she just like straight hair? Maybe if you booked her into a salon for a blow dry, but for a smooth curls do, then she'd learn that smooth curls are easier to achieve than poker straight in my experience!
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I use a Pantene Pro V type shampoo to smooth my frizzy hair. I use Boots own brand for smooth hair. It's very good. Then I blow dry it and finish off with straightners.
  • karapote monkeykarapote monkey Posts: 3,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noodle head is good but what she really needs is a brazilian blow dry, they cost over a hundred pounds though :-/
  • TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noodle head is good but what she really needs is a brazilian blow dry, they cost over a hundred pounds though :-/

I use the Brazilian treatment but do it myself so it only ends up being about £20. Its faffy but not that difficult to do and it really improved my hair.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 282
    Forum Member

Groupon always have offers on for things like that. I know a few people who've had it done and it is very effective.
  • StudmuffinStudmuffin Posts: 4,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taglet wrote: »
    I use the Brazilian treatment but do it myself so it only ends up being about £20. Its faffy but not that difficult to do and it really improved my hair.

Tell me more!
  • morecowbellmorecowbell Posts: 1,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not very glamorous but boy does it work an absolute treat.......

Holland and Barrett Sweet Almond Oil

A fiver for a big bottle. Quiet simply the best anti frizz oil that has ever graced my hair.

Not exactly a valentines gift but be sure to try it sometime.
  • TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Studmuffin wrote: »
    Tell me more!

I first used a starter kit from ebay which comes with clips, comb, instructions, a bottle of cleansing shampoo and the gunk...the only other thing you need is some very hot straighteners (GHD type).

I watched some you tube videos to make sure I knew what I was doing and off I went. Some of the kits need to be left on for a day and some three days and I found the longer left on without washing the better. The hair looks better than it feels during this period.

Afterwards you need to use sulphate free shampoo otherwise it washes out too quickly but should last three months...there is a build up effect too so each time you apply it again it looks better.

My hair is shinier, stronger and pretty much poker straight afterwards.
  • chocoholic100chocoholic100 Posts: 6,411
    Forum Member
    Another person that has done my own brazillian blow dry with good results.
  • saffron_starsaffron_star Posts: 789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another fan of the Brazilian blow dry here, although I used to have mine done at the hairdressers and not do,it myself at home. Unlike chemical straightening it doesn't dry out your hair. Instead it seals a keratin coating on your hair which makes it very shiny. It isn't cheap but mine used to last about 8 to 10 weeks.
    I am back to naturally curly now but I did love my hair when it was straightened
    Ike this.
  • AvinAGiraffeAvinAGiraffe Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    I just wanted to say that I think this is a lovely, thoughtful gift idea and I hope she appreciates it.
  • kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has she ever thought of working with her curls? It took me 15 years to embrace my curls. My hairdresser made me look a million dollars once he convinced me and I'll never go back!
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kiviraat wrote: »
    Has she ever thought of working with her curls? It took me 15 years to embrace my curls. My hairdresser made me look a million dollars once he convinced me and I'll never go back!

I agree with this. All the styling, chemicals, heat, etc will end up taking its toll - it's much, much easier to maintain your natural hair pattern instead of fighting it. I'd recommend she looks into the curly girl method.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can I say something that's hardly ever said here - kudos to the OP! You should give lessons in "thoughtful gifts to buy your girl".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lenitive wrote: »
    I agree with this. All the styling, chemicals, heat, etc will end up taking its toll - it's much, much easier to maintain your natural hair pattern instead of fighting it. I'd recommend she looks into the curly girl method.

Yes, but it's about what she wants, not what you or any others think. She obviously likes it straightened, hence the question posed in this thread.

OP, my other half had the Brazilian blow dry and it worked a treat. She's already got really thick, shiny luscious hair, but this made it even silkier and much more manageable for her and we didn't have to pack her straighteners every time we went away for the weekend!:D
  • LenitiveLenitive Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darcy_ wrote: »
    Yes, but it's about what she wants, not what you or any others think. She obviously likes it straightened, hence the question posed in this thread.

I know, was just providing an alternative solution in case she'd never considered it before :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lenitive wrote: »
    I know, was just providing an alternative solution in case she'd never considered it before :)

Apologies Madame, I hope I didn't come across as curt.:)