Options

Swaffham, Norfolk

andallthatjazzandallthatjazz Posts: 6,413
Forum Member
Looks like we will finally end up moving to Swaffham, We just made an offer to a property that meets our criteria.

Did some research prior obviously & it's a lovely place with it's nice market town. Looked at Sawffham website also with testimonials from some known people who live in the area not to mention Stephen Fry. We were there one Sat and I love the feel of the market & surrounding area. We did some driving around and can't believe there is Waitrose!

The one downside though is no train station so we have to take train to Downham Market & taxi takes 20mins, it's actually perfectly fine as it's a nice drive. Don't understand why they shut down the station.

Anyone here live/know Swaffham who could offer some perspective?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Stay off the moors.
  • Options
    Aunt SallyAunt Sally Posts: 41
    Forum Member
    Lots of train stations were closed in Norfolk many many years ago. I was brought up about 10 miles from Swaffham.
    It's a nice area but don't expect much from public transport.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you both. What about the moors though?
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank you both. What about the moors though?

I think they mean The Fens, and the Fens are just fine.
  • Options
    GAZ237GAZ237 Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nice place if you like car banger racing and all the dust and noise that goes with it.

How close are you to the race track?
  • Options
    Gregory ShapeGregory Shape Posts: 2,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watch out for the big-eared boys on farms.
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    All I know about Swaffham is that Harry Hill uses it for his bizzarre links between clips in YBF.
    Sounds a nice place.😊
  • Options
    Forum Member
    GAZ237 wrote: »
    Nice place if you like car banger racing and all the dust and noise that goes with it.

I don't know about the race track but I don't think the house location is anywhere near it ( hope not anyway), the house in only about 5/10 mins drive to Market Town.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aunt Sally wrote: »
    Lots of train stations were closed in Norfolk many many years ago. I was brought up about 10 miles from Swaffham.
    It's a nice area but don't expect much from public transport.

Not worried too much about the transport as we can just drive around & at least there is a bus from Market town that goes straight to Norwich for major shopping etc.
  • Options
    TurbovisionTurbovision Posts: 522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'll get to know every chord of ' Duelling Banjos'.
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skp20040 wrote: »
    I think they mean The Fens, and the Fens are just fine.

Swaffham is miles and miles from any Fens.
  • Options
    PuterkidPuterkid Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    There are definitely worse places to live. A lot of Dad's Army was filmed around there too I believe. It's changed a bit since then though, so many new houses getting built throughout Norfolk, and mostly on green field sites>:(
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like we will finally end up moving to Swaffham, We just made an offer to a property that meets our criteria.

Did some research prior obviously & it's a lovely place with it's nice market town. Looked at Sawffham website also with testimonials from some known people who live in the area not to mention Stephen Fry. We were there one Sat and I love the feel of the market & surrounding area. We did some driving around and can't believe there is Waitrose!

The one downside though is no train station so we have to take train to Downham Market & taxi takes 20mins, it's actually perfectly fine as it's a nice drive. Don't understand why they shut down the station.

Locals pronounce it Swaaaafum. ;-). You won't miss the big wind turbine at the Eco centre but locals love both.
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    Twenty mins from Dereham or simply keep going and you're in Norwich...

My brother-in-law lives there and it's a great place if you like wind turbines.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Puterkid wrote: »
    There are definitely worse places to live. A lot of Dad's Army was filmed around there too I believe. It's changed a bit since then though, so many new houses getting built throughout Norfolk, and mostly on green field sites>:(

It's Thetford for Dad's Army stuff... there's a museum and random statues and the like.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GAZ237 wrote: »

The banger racing track is some distance out of Swaffham on the A1122 just off the roundabout on the A47, be surprise if dust and noise affect many people in Swaffham. It is not like they hold a race every night.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.6547391,0.6312448,700m/data=!3m1!1e3
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Caxton wrote: »
    The banger racing track is some distance out of Swaffham on the A1122 just off the roundabout on the A47, be surprise if dust and noise affect many people in Swaffham. It is not like they hold a race every night.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.6547391,0.6312448,700m/data=!3m1!1e3

It's quite a way off.
  • Options
    SpruceSpruce Posts: 1,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The locals won't interfere with you as you're not related to them.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

I don't know the area at all, but I believe Alan Partridge doesn't live that far away. He likes farmers by the way.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    All I know about Swaffham is that Harry Hill uses it for his bizzarre links between clips in YBF.
    Sounds a nice place.😊

Sounds like coma town tbh. Nothing to do and a commuter belt area. Boring x1000.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jra wrote: »
    Sounds like coma town tbh. Nothing to do and a commuter belt area. Boring x1000.

But but!!! It has an Iceland!!!!
  • Options
    MentoristMentorist Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be honest Swaffham has always been considered one of the rougher towns in Norfolk, there really isn't very much there apart from the wind turbine. Until quite recently the schools were considered poor and there is very little in the way of shops or pubs. If you are serious about moving to Norfolk I'd have a look a some of the other market towns ahead of Swaffham. Dereham, Fakenham, Aylsham, Holt, Wymondham, Attleborough, Cromer, Sheringham, Diss or North Walsham for example - all nicer than Swaffham in my opinion. Or better still, as transport is so notoriously bad in Norfolk- move to Norwich instead!

Stephen Fry is very sweet about the place, he does like to support the local area however he doesn't live in Swaffham and I can't imagine he ever would!

Oh and by the way Alan Partridge isn't real! ;)
  • Options
    MentoristMentorist Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »

Where is it a commuter belt area for? Kings Lynn??!! :confused:
  • Options
    Mrs RiversMrs Rivers Posts: 214
    Forum Member
    There's also a small Asda if you prefer. Swaffham is quite a nice little town, quaint. Perhaps not too much in the way of character. I hope you'll be very happy there. One thing you will encounter, and I do find it annoying at times, are the military aircraft from nearby RAF Marham, flying Tornado's. Some days it seems almost constant, going on for hours, as they practice their manoeuvres.
    Sometimes my whole house shakes and rattles and can be a little frightening if you are outside in the garden and suddenly one comes flying over almost without warning, the roar is terrifying. They're not low flying, but low enough and very, very noisy. Can also be quite exciting to watch if there are two together.
    Something you have to get used to in this part of Norfolk.

I don't live in Swaffham but in the country nearby, so it's possible that residents in town might not get what we get.
  • Options
    catherine91catherine91 Posts: 2,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only time I've been to Swaffham was to visit the Eco-Tech centre about 14 years ago. I've worked with a couple of people who live there (the town, not Eco-Tech!), and commuting to Norwich by bus seems a hassle. I imagine it would be OK in a car, though.