Options

Sophie Kinsella's new book

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Miss_Moo wrote: »
    Is anyone else excited that Sophie's new book is out on monday? :confused::D

Yes - I shall be buying :D

Can't believe how the Americans have bastardised another great chick-lit book.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    Sophie Kinsella new book
    When twenty-eight-year-old Lexi Smart wakes up in a London hospital, she’s in for a big surprise. Her teeth are perfect. Her body is toned. Her handbag is Vuitton. Having survived a car accident—in a Mercedes no less—Lexi has lost a big chunk of her memory, three years to be exact, and she’s about to find out just how much things have changed.

Somehow Lexi went from a twenty-five-year-old working girl to a corporate big shot with a sleek new loft, a personal assistant, a carb-free diet, and a set of glamorous new friends. And who is this gorgeous husband—who also happens to be a multimillionaire? With her mind still stuck three years in reverse, Lexi greets this brave new world determined to be the person she…well, seems to be. That is, until an adorably disheveled architect drops the biggest bombshell of all.

Suddenly Lexi is scrambling to catch her balance. Her new life, it turns out, comes complete with secrets, schemes, and intrigue. How on earth did all this happen? Will she ever remember? And what will happen when she does?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    have just read what the shopaholic film is about, its so far from the book, its supposed to be in london:mad:, think i will give the film a miss when it comes out and read the book again!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,286
    Forum Member
    Miss_Moo wrote: »
    I found this on it:

Title: THE SECRET DREAM WORLD OF A SHOPOHOLIC, (aka CONFESSIONS OF A SHOPAHOLIC), Feature Film. CAST, Isla Fisher; PROD, Jerry Bruckheimer, Mike Stenson, Chad Oman; DIR, P.J. Hogan; SCR, Tracey Jackson. Shoot Dates: November, 2007 (in New York). STORY: The film is about a 25 years old woman who investigates bank fraud deals with the stress of her job by endlessly shopping. She ends up hopelessly in debt, but her work leads to love when she becomes romantically involved with a man she is investigating. Breakdown-- Suze: Late 20s, African-American or Puertorican. Rebecca's best friend. Suze is the "kind of girl you'd want as a best friend. If Rebecca is a white wine spritzer, Suze is a good solid bottle of bud". Warm, down-to-earth, with common sense, a receptionist for a firm that sells undersized furniture to hotels, Suze is about to get married to her live-in boyfriend, Danny, but she always has time for her friend Rebecca. Deeply concerned about Rebecca's mounting debt and apparent inability to resist anything that smacks of a sale, Suze does her own version of damage control for Rebecca, helping her go through all her bills and later forcing her to enroll in a shophaholics anonymous group. Suze appears to be without limit to her generosity to Rebecca, and somewhat of an enabler, but when she discovers that Rebecca has not only lied to her but discarded her bridesmaid's dress, Suze has reached the end of her rope.. Lead. (Posted: August 21, 2007)"

It's an outrage! :mad:

That sounds awful! They might as well not even call it The Secret dreamworld of a shopaholic, seeing as it is so loosely based on the book! They have comppletely changed Suze's character too. I probably won't bother watching it.

The new book sounds good though, I'll probably buy it I love the shopaholic books!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :confused: Sophie Kinsella must have agreed/sold the film rights?

Should never have been filmed in the USA :eek:

jo x
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love her books!

I shan't be watching the film adaptation, it sounds awful! The characters in Shopaholic are very 'British' and to change that would completely ruin the story.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It would have made a really good film if they stuck to the book, would have been good to see the other characters such as Becky's mom and dad, the neighbors with there weird son Etc.....
  • Options
    Miss_MooMiss_Moo Posts: 8,997
    Forum Member
    Amazon are selling the book already - I've ordered mine using the next day delivery so it's all set to arrive tomorrow. :o
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got the book in Tesco tonight for £10 :) 3 chapters into it already :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got mine yesterday in Asda, 113 pages in and loving it!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I finished it tonight. It was good. Not fantastic but still very good.
  • Options
    Miss_MooMiss_Moo Posts: 8,997
    Forum Member
    I agree it was very good, but as SK uses the same formula in all her books it was easy to guess what happened at the end.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    I've just finished the new book and really enjoyed it, but do agree that you can quite easily predict what's going to happen. Still loved it though:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finshed it the other night. I enjoyed it, it was typical SK writing and an expected end, but ....
    I'd like to have seen what happened to her old company when her new venture became a success. I'd love them to have gone bust or something. I'd like to have more character development of Amy as well. Hated Eric tho.
  • Options
    LuxxyLuxxy Posts: 18,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bb4pro wrote: »
    How can Suze be african/american or Pueortorican :eek:
    Her family is a really rich eccentric old english family who own Islands and have to roll pigs and stuff!
    Jorda wrote: »
    :confused: Sophie Kinsella must have agreed/sold the film rights?

Should never have been filmed in the USA :eek:

jo x

Seems like Sophie sold her soul to the devil here. :( Surely she can't be truly happy with the way the filmakers have bastardised her book? :confused: The proposed film couldn't be further away from the book if you tried!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Finished the new book at the weekend - only took me 3 days to read it. I thought it was good, was exactly what i needed to read i.e. something that you didn't need to think about whatsoever and would be a quick read. I do enjoy Sophie's books and are what i call my 'fluff books' don't need much concentration and are a quick enjoyable read.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I finished the book a week ago, I liked it. Felt like the ending was very rushed though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I finished the book a week ago, I liked it. Felt like the ending was very rushed though.

Totally agree about the ending, i was reading and only had about 20 or 30 pages left and the ending was nowhyere near - very rushed to me. I think there could have been a lot more exploration of the characters especially Amy and her friends from her old life.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,783
    Forum Member
    Just started it last night. Enjoying it so far!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    I thought it was really good, I love Sophie's style of writing, not too much to think about. I didn't know she'd written under another name, I must check those out.
  • Options
    gemchickengemchicken Posts: 878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm reading this now! Started it on Wednesday night and have about 70 pages to go!

Just read the bit about the Shopaholic film! So annoyed, same as what happened to 'PS I Love You', it just completely spoils the essence of the books! :mad:
  • Options
    sydneyparadesydneyparade Posts: 1,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read it last weekend - started it about 11pm on Saturday night, and had it finished by 4am on Sunday morning. Must say I really enjoyed it (loved all Sophie Kinsella's books), especially as its not usually a genre I read. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,298
    Forum Member
    I read it today. It's been sitting on my bookshelf for ages and I finally got around to it. I really, really enjoyed it but agree that the ending felt a little rushed. Thought it was a brilliant read, Sophie Kinsella has a real knack of making such likeable central characters :) Think I may dig out my Shopoholic books again....:)
  • Options
    gemchickengemchicken Posts: 878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I finished it a couple of hours ago.
    Don't get me wrong, I liked it, but it didn't really seem properly finished. I think it was rushed too. Maybe an epilogue or something would make it seem more complete?
  • Options
    ameredithameredith Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did enjoy this book but not as much as the shopaholic books.