Options

EastEnders - Battle of the Landlady and Ex Landlady!

lucasade16lucasade16 Posts: 397
Forum Member
Tonight's Episode saw Linda Carter squeal a bit when coming a cropper with Miss Slater, for me it's about time someone stood up to her, when it comes to being a mum she has had no luck herself; spiteful to Jonny, Made decisions for them and every one of them have tried to leave her (Jonny gone, Nancy wedding/rebeling against her and wasn't interested and Lee in the army) And when it comes to being a Landlady I must admit Kat for me was the more brassy Landlady, Jessie Wallace has done herself justice these last few weeks, brilliant actress. Can't wait for the clash tomorrow!;-)

I DO NOT say what Kat is doing is right but for someone who had been raped as a teenager by her old uncle and then give birth to a daughter and bring it up as a sister, burnt in a fire, lost her home, mum passed away at a young age, Alfie cheated on her and seemed to of abandoned her now?,had her baby swapped, penniless yet works, she has just hit rock bottom. Like Kat said Linda acts like a little princess and has had everything handed to her on a plate from her ever so annoying mother and too soft husband.

Team Kat or Linda? 99 votes

Team Kathleen Slater
32% 32 votes
Team Linda Carter
67% 67 votes

Comments

• Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    Team "Kat getting the help she desperately needs so that she and her kids can be safe and happy". The only character who seems to be on that team at the moment is Linda, but hopefully Stacey will join her (I'll be disappointed if she joins Kim, and soon Shirley, in encouraging Kat's behaviour and having a go at Linda.)

I like both characters, but Linda is in the right here and I feel sorry for Kat who needs serious help after what Alfie, the arsonist, did to her. I also feel likes da is the better landlady, I never liked Kat and Alfie's time behind the bar.
  • Options
    Heathyheath_Heathyheath_ Posts: 986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I feel the opposite about tonight's events. To me Kat was vile the entire episode. She asked people to look after her stall THREE times in one day, had a go at Linda several times during the day when she was only trying to be nice and seemed to be aggrieved at the fact that the staff of the Queen Vic had the audacity to kick her out for drinking while her twin babies sat there crying and her toddler son ran around the place. Linda has many flaws but Kat was pathetic tonight and Linda's comment about her giving single mums a bad name really struck a chord with me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I feel as if Linda has a past in which she has drove her kids away, she isn't likable in the slightest she give off a 'stuck up tart' vibe, she is false just look at how she was with Sharon at the beginning.

I do not say what Kat is doing is right but for someone who had been raped as a teenager by her old uncle and then give birth to a daughter and bring it up as a sister, burnt in a fire, had her baby swapped, penniless yet works, she has just hit rock bottom. Like Kat said Linda acts like a little princess and has had everything handed to her on a plate from her ever so annoying mother and too soft husband.
  • Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    I prefer Kat, but she was out of order.
  • Options
    J-BJ-B Posts: 18,616
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Linda.

Kat is utterly, utterly repulsive and I hope Alfie gets the matchbox out and finishes the job.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    J-B wrote: »
    Linda.

Kat is utterly, utterly repulsive and I hope Alfie gets the matchbox out and finishes the job.

Life has made her that way, I don't mean in hit out at everyone, the tough side is because she has had to be seeing as she just hits rock bottom every so often, Linda has gone through jack all compared to someone like Kat, yet her life seems WORSE than anyone's with the face she keeps wearing haha!:D
  • Options
    lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Team Kat. She's far more watchable and iconic IMO!

Anyway, going by tonight's episode, I'm definitely team Kat. What she did to her kids was pretty bad, but Kat will always be there for her kids and would never abandon them. If things got really bad and her kids were in danger, she would soon snap out of it.

It was only a year ago, Linda could barely look at her Son, because he was gay. Kat would NEVER behave in such a way, she'd slap anyone who even looked at her children in a funny way. So why Linda things she's above all else and mother of the year yet again, is beyond me! She was out of order, with the way she spoke to Kat tonight IMO. Kat is tight, Linda is on her high horse again, and the character is nothing more than a gobby cow. I hope she gets a good old slap one day, as she has treated people like shit in the past and probably will again on day!

Shirley and Johnny are two prime examples, and they are part of her own family!

Kat's been through a lot more than Linda and her behaviour comes across as understandable. Not right, but understandable!
  • Options
    Kim_xKim_x Posts: 3,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lucasade16 wrote: »
    I feel as if Linda has a past in which she has drove her kids away, she isn't likable in the slightest she give off a 'stuck up tart' vibe, she is false just look at how she was with Sharon at the beginning.

I do not say what Kat is doing is right but for someone who had been raped as a teenager by her old uncle and then give birth to a daughter and bring it up as a sister, burnt in a fire, had her baby swapped, penniless yet works, she has just hit rock bottom. Like Kat said Linda acts like a little princess and has had everything handed to her on a plate from her ever so annoying mother and too soft husband.

This! She hasn't shown any concern for her disabled daughter until now, mollycoddling her premature son instead, who has nothing else wrong with him. She's tried to make them what she wants them to be, not what they want to be. Like Ben, she wants there to be a cure for being gay, while Johnny was the only one behaving decently.

Had Linda had Kat's life, she wouldn't have lasted two minutes. Linda has also had the luxury of having Mick believe her absolutely re: her rape, whereas Kat wasn't believed by her own mother, or at least not to her knowledge until it was years too late.
  • Options
    lou_123lou_123 Posts: 12,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kim_x wrote: »
    This! She hasn't shown any concern for her disabled daughter until now, mollycoddling her premature son instead, who has nothing else wrong with him. She's tried to make them what she wants them to be, not what they want to be. Like Ben, she wants there to be a cure for being gay, while Johnny was the only one behaving decently.

Had Linda had Kat's life, she wouldn't have lasted two minutes. Linda has also had the luxury of having Mick believe her absolutely re: her rape, whereas Kat wasn't believed by her own mother, or at least not to her knowledge until it was years too late.

Exactly. Kat has had it worse than Linda!
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kat is a nasty piece of work
  • Options
    NoughtiesMusicNoughtiesMusic Posts: 15,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It will always be Angie and Peggy.

Nonetheless Kat when she's not utterly odious. At her best she is a much better character than Linda and has a life outside of her family cocoon. Of course most mothers in families see them as the #1 priority but with Linda it's taken to the next level of smothering. Moreover I find her prickly and slightly narrow minded compared to her own mum (Elaine) and her immediate family who seem much more embracing. With Linda it's mainly Sharon of the non-Carters.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Team Linda. She is the only one of the two who cares about the welfare of Kat's children and I've had enough of Kat's aggressive, entitled attitude.
  • Options
    Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For this I vote Linda.

She works well as the vic landlady even though she is overused and I can't can't the character. Kat was a dull landlady and the moons needed out of it.
  • Options
    LilyBLilyB Posts: 364
    Forum Member
    If this is "who is the better character?" then that's easy. Kat.

If this is "who was in the right in this episode?" I would say neither.

Yes, Kat can be overly agressive when confronted and she was completely out of order going behind the bar but Linda had already passed judgement on Kat before that incident. Kat took her eye off the twins for 5 seconds (and made sure Fatboy knew to keep an eye on them) but didn't really have any choice. What was she meant to do about Tommy? Linda had no right to have a go or to stick her nose in.

Kat's behaviour in the pub was far from admirable and she deserved to be kicked out but Linda's snooty "You give single mother's a bad name" was a low blow and not a comment she is in any position to make. Linda is married to Mr. Perfect; the most supportive, endlessly patient husband who has completely doted on her since they were kids. She has a mother who will readily drop whatever she is doing in her own life at the drop of a hat to come and offer further support. She has grown children who base their social life around pleasing her and supporting her. In fact her whole family seem to have cheering Linda up as their life's mission. Kat doesn't have any of that. Linda has never, and probably will never find herself in the desperate, hopeless position Kat is in. Life is a struggle for Kat right now and she needs friendship and support, not yet another kicking while she's down. If Linda has genuine concern, I'm sure she could find a better way of showing it.
  • Options
    KaylaLKaylaL Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dislike Linda intensely! She comes across as so snobbish and above herself. I don't like drunken Kat, I'd much prefer to see Kat & Alfie back together with no more breakups, and raise their family properly!
  • Options
    Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    Team Kat. But then I prefer Kat to Linda generally anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LilyB wrote: »
    If this is "who is the better character?" then that's easy. Kat.

If this is "who was in the right in this episode?" I would say neither.

Yes, Kat can be overly agressive when confronted and she was completely out of order going behind the bar but Linda had already passed judgement on Kat before that incident. Kat took her eye off the twins for 5 seconds (and made sure Fatboy knew to keep an eye on them) but didn't really have any choice. What was she meant to do about Tommy? Linda had no right to have a go or to stick her nose in.

Kat's behaviour in the pub was far from admirable and she deserved to be kicked out but Linda's snooty "You give single mother's a bad name" was a low blow and not a comment she is in any position to make. Linda is married to Mr. Perfect; the most supportive, endlessly patient husband who has completely doted on her since they were kids. She has a mother who will readily drop whatever she is doing in her own life at the drop of a hat to come and offer further support. She has grown children who base their social life around pleasing her and supporting her. In fact her whole family seem to have cheering Linda up as their life's mission. Kat doesn't have any of that. Linda has never, and probably will never find herself in the desperate, hopeless position Kat is in. Life is a struggle for Kat right now and she needs friendship and support, not yet another kicking while she's down. If Linda has genuine concern, I'm sure she could find a better way of showing it.

Great post.
  • Options
    EvilredzebraEvilredzebra Posts: 16,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Kat but indulging her constant boozing is not going to help her at all and Linda is definitely in the right to stand up to her. She isn't being aggressive, she's being firm and fair. I hate seeing Kat hit rock bottom again all because of the odious Alfie Moon, and hate the way we are now meant to see him as being in the right when he berates her for her behaviour when his arson attack is part of the reason for it.
  • Options
    KenkennedykenneKenkennedykenne Posts: 3,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if those voting Team Kat are just doing so because they dislike the Carters generally.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wonder if those voting Team Kat are just doing so because they dislike the Carters generally.

I like the Carters, some more than others yet they've come into the square like a snobby family specially when it comes to Linda!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member

I voted Kat because, although she was out of order, Linda was awful to her. She knows her circumstances, she knows she has lost home and husband and is struggling to cope. The hand of friendship wouldn't have gone amiss.
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    Kim_x wrote: »

Epilepsy does not automatically make you disabled and as Nancy's epilepsy is controlled and she leads a normal life for 99% of the time why should Linda be too worried. As for Johnny when a baby is ill parents often even when they grow up worry about them. I was very ill as a baby and my mother was always more worried about me than my healthier siblings didn't mean she cared for them any less.
  • Options
    Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    vald wrote: »
    I voted Kat because, although she was out of order, Linda was awful to her. She knows her circumstances, she knows she has lost home and husband and is struggling to cope. The hand of friendship wouldn't have gone amiss.

If there was the option to 'like' a post, I would. Completely agree.
  • Options
    Joey15811Joey15811 Posts: 15,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »
    Epilepsy does not automatically make you disabled and as Nancy's epilepsy is controlled and she leads a normal life for 99% of the time why should Linda be too worried. As for Johnny when a baby is ill parents often even when they grow up worry about them. I was very ill as a baby and my mother was always more worried about me than my healthier siblings didn't mean she cared for them any less.

It was suffocating johnny though and he wanted her to let him grow up. She only let him go to stop him finding out about the rape otherwise he'd have been forced to stay with them.
  • Options
    paxton7paxton7 Posts: 1,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    #TeamKat

In the past six months Kat has:

Become a single mother to three kids under four years old.
    Lost her husband and main pillar of support.
    Been seriously burned in a fire caused by her own husband leaving her in incredible pain and with lasting scarring over her face and body which has surely been a further blow to her delicate self esteem.
    Been made homeless at a time when she should have been trying to recuperate.
    Had her family go behind her back and bring Uncle Harry back into her life and head at a time when she is particularly vulnerable.

This is just the past hellish six months. Anybody would struggle to cope. It's understandable if things are getting too much and Linda should have waited until she was sober to offer a shoulder and give a pep talk not hurl verbal abuse in a self righteous and snobbish manner.