The Beatles vs One Direction

1234568»

Comments

• dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PaulBowker wrote: »
    Most of the Beatles lyrics are much worse than that.

Hey Jude, Yellow Submarine, the walrus song for example,

Cant believe you missed out 'Octopussy's Garden'
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Beatles -v- One Direction?!?!?!?!?:eek::eek:

That's like Muhammad Ali -v- Audley Harrison!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "The walrus song"

Sigh.
  • big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    I really dislike the Beatles' vocals, tbh I find them a chore to listen to, but their impact on music and culture in general is undeniable. I remember in primary school studying the 60's, primarily focusing on The Beatles; can't see that being the case with 1D in 30 years.

Just listened to Tomorrow Never Knows that was linked earlier in the thread.. god, that could easily be released today and seen as modern and creative! Though I do think some of the noise is dragged out and makes the song lack cohesiveness. Again, I doubt One Direction will ever release anything innovative. The song written by Ed Sheeran sounds like they went out of their way to copy Ed's demo in great detail.. that to me says it all about how creative they are.
  • zeze88zeze88 Posts: 1,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    big dan wrote: »
    The song written by Ed Sheeran sounds like they went out of their way to copy Ed's demo in great detail.. that to me says it all about how creative they are.

This. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that. Just because Ed wrote it, doesn't mean you have to sound like him.

The thing is, as long as 1D keep singing immature, teen bubblegum pop songs, they won't be remembered at all. Maybe just in a sentence about British bands who cracked America.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

lol... you do know that slagging off two of the worlds best ever songwriters makes you look....... rather stupid. you clearly have no clue what the lyrical content of the majority of their material is about and to compound your ignorance you dont even know the title of the track you cite!
    big dan wrote: »
    I really dislike the Beatles' vocals, tbh I find them a chore to listen to, but their impact on music and culture in general is undeniable. I remember in primary school studying the 60's, primarily focusing on The Beatles; can't see that being the case with 1D in 30 years.

Just listened to Tomorrow Never Knows that was linked earlier in the thread.. god, that could easily be released today and seen as modern and creative! Though I do think some of the noise is dragged out and makes the song lack cohesiveness. Again, I doubt One Direction will ever release anything innovative. The song written by Ed Sheeran sounds like they went out of their way to copy Ed's demo in great detail.. that to me says it all about how creative they are.

cant fault you... you dont like them but recognises their true worth.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Beatles are crap and Paul McCartney is the worst person ever born. I can't wait for him to.... "Go" and then we won't be forced to endure him at jubilees and such.
    Wow, that's pretty strong hatred for a famous person. Did he run over your cat or something?
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,109
    Forum Member

Critics often cite 'I Am The Walrus' as a masterclass in surrealism and psychedelic imagery.

The lyrics of Hey Jude have been firmly lodged in the public consciousness.

And Yellow Submarine was written with the intention of being a children's song, so probably isn't the best one to use as an example as it's supposed to be playfully simple in nature.

Maybe some of the earlier Beatles songs could be pointed at, when they were still practicing their craft and still possibly limited by demands of 'girl' friendly music. But even then it's a tough job.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Merely thought the comparison was just down to the enthusiasm between both bands. It's all about the hype; in terms of music they are nothing alike.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Critics often cite 'I Am The Walrus' as a masterclass in surrealism and psychedelic imagery.

The lyrics of Hey Jude have been firmly lodged in the public consciousness.

And Yellow Submarine was written with the intention of being a children's song, so probably isn't the best one to use as an example as it's supposed to be playfully simple in nature.

Maybe some of the earlier Beatles songs could be pointed at, when they were still practicing their craft and still possibly limited by demands of 'girl' friendly music. But even then it's a tough job.

Wasn't I am the walrus written on their marijuana phase (altho if rumours are to be believed Paul has never stopped!!) and hey Jude was written about Julian lennon when John left Cynthia. Long and winding road is also an amazing song as is let it be.

But to be honest I much preferred their earlier simple pop songs and wasn't all that enamoured with seargeant pepper 's LHCB which was probably way before it's time as possibly the very first concept album.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beatles early songs were crap... all that "holding hands" bollocks is to blame for the insufferable boybands we have today. Though it was also a smart move by Epstein as it got their foot through the door, once they were in and midway through Help... it gave Lennon and McCartney the freedom to get to work.

If you're going to listen to Beatles music, it needs to be from Rubber Soul onwards. That's where the art is and why they're the best band of all time.

As for One Direction, they're on the same level as Westlife... whatever level that actually is.
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    Wasn't I am the walrus written on their marijuana phase

John Lennon actually wrote "I Am The Walrus" when he was stone cold sober!

He had long been amused by all the music academics who liked to analyse Beatles songs and come up with (what he believed to be) very pretentious theories about both the musical and lyrical content of those songs, so when he started to compose "I Am The Walrus" he decided to deliberately write the most meaningless, nonsensical lyrics he could think of just to wind up those academics.
  • JulzeiJulzei Posts: 4,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The beatles songs are melodic with great lyrics whereas one direction sounds like a 5 year old could write the lyrics in 2 minutes.
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you're going to listen to Beatles music, it needs to be from Rubber Soul onwards.

No, it doesn't, the early albums are excellent. Pure pop with basic lyrics, yes, but superior pure pop.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    I just don't see the point in arguing that One Direction are CLEARLY much better anymore.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, it doesn't, the early albums are excellent. Pure pop with basic lyrics, yes, but superior pure pop.

I totally agree with you but it is subjective and due to personal taste.
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Beatles early songs were crap... all that "holding hands" bollocks is to blame for the insufferable boybands we have today. Though it was also a smart move by Epstein as it got their foot through the door, once they were in and midway through Help... it gave Lennon and McCartney the freedom to get to work.

If you're going to listen to Beatles music, it needs to be from Rubber Soul onwards. That's where the art is and why they're the best band of all time.

As for One Direction, they're on the same level as Westlife... whatever level that actually is.

can't agree with that, the early songs were simple but never vacuous and were also groundbreaking in their day. They got more complex obviously but you can't break all the ground in one go.

'I want to hold your hand' is the polar opposite of bollocks and if 1D or any other boyband came up with a song as vibrant and perfectly formed i wouldn't hesitate to congratulate them
  • gettygetty Posts: 3,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What an irrelevent thread, how can you compare four 20 - 23 year old talented musicians and songwriters at the start of their careers, with a bunch of 17-18 year olds who were tossed into a bargain bucket to get 5 for the price of one Cowell cash cows, who sing and perform to order.
  • Zeus555Zeus555 Posts: 602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As someone pointed out earlier, all 17 UK Beatles No.1's
    were on top for more than 1 Week, as were all 9 ABBA
    No.1s.

'One Or Another (Teenage Kicks), has just become their
    3rd UK No.1, (out of 3), to enter at No.1, & fall in Week 2.
    It has fallen from 1 to 3. (They've done this 4 times, if we
    give then 'Wishing On A Star', by the 2011 X Factor
    Finalists, which they were credited on).

It is a pattern that we see in most Countries where they
    get to No.1. The current Single went in at No.1, in Holland,
    & it has fallen to No.7 in Week 2.

It went in at No.3 in Australia, & it has fallen to No.10,
    in Week 2. (They've had 2 No.1 Albums there, but have
    yet to have a No.1 Single).

They really do not dominate the Charts, like many older
    'Super Groups' did.

Their success is exaggerated too. Last Week, the 'Daily
    Mirror' claimed that 'One Way Or Another (Teenge Kicks)'
    was No.1 in 65 Countries!

No wonder many people think One Direction are more
    successful than they really are!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zeus555 wrote: »
    As someone pointed out earlier, all 17 UK Beatles No.1's
    were on top for more than 1 Week, as were all 9 ABBA
    No.1s.

'One Or Another (Teenage Kicks), has just become their
    3rd UK No.1, (out of 3), to enter at No.1, & fall in Week 2.
    It has fallen from 1 to 3. (They've done this 4 times, if we
    give then 'Wishing On A Star', by the 2011 X Factor
    Finalists, which they were credited on).

It is a pattern that we see in most Countries where they
    get to No.1. The current Single went in at No.1, in Holland,
    & it has fallen to No.7 in Week 2.

It went in at No.3 in Australia, & it has fallen to No.10,
    in Week 2. (They've had 2 No.1 Albums there, but have
    yet to have a No.1 Single).

They really do not dominate the Charts, like many older
    'Super Groups' did.

Their success is exaggerated too. Last Week, the 'Daily
    Mirror' claimed that 'One Way Or Another (Teenge Kicks)'
    was No.1 in 65 Countries!

No wonder many people think One Direction are more
    successful than they really are!

I get so tired of this old argument...........How can you compare chart positions from Abba and Beatles days which was pre internet and download. The charts are very different and very few artists stay at number 1 for weeks on end!

They were top of the I Tunes chart in 65 countries which I know is different from number one BUT considering it wasn't even supposed to be released outside of UK as is a UK charity song there is no denying it has done well which is great for Comic relief

Put as much negative spin on it as you want but they are just doing fine chart wise. They have had two albums in the States in the top 5 best sellers of the year. What would it take foryou to see them as successful......Number one album and single in every country in the world!! Naw you would probably have some negative spin even on that!!
  • LED93LED93 Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    twingle wrote: »
    I get so tired of this old argument...........How can you compare chart positions from Abba and Beatles days which was pre internet and download. The charts are very different and very few artists stay at number 1 for weeks on end!

They were top of the I Tunes chart in 65 countries which I know is different from number one BUT considering it wasn't even supposed to be released outside of UK as is a UK charity song there is no denying it has done well which is great for Comic relief

Put as much negative spin on it as you want but they are just doing fine chart wise. They have had two albums in the States in the top 5 best sellers of the year. What would it take foryou to see them as successful......Number one album and single in every country in the world!! Naw you would probably have some negative spin even on that!!

Nobody's expecting them to be at the top for month's on end, but a little longevity would show that there able to consistently sell and their biggest sales are not always in the first week.