HD-DVD or Blu-Ray?

18910111214»

Comments

• verybigknobverybigknob Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    MrRik wrote: »
    What? You mean like IGN agreeing with me?

"Really, there are multiple answers to this. First and most obviously, gaming benefits most from Blu-ray's massive storage capabilities, with dual-layer discs capable of holding up to 50GB of data. Dual-layer HD-DVDs can store about 30GB by comparison while dual-layer DVDs can store around 9GBs. The Blu-ray Disc Association is currently experimenting with eight-layer discs capable of holding a whopping 200GB of data. If that's not enough room for you RPG gamers out there, we don't know what is.

More importantly in Sony's long-term plans as an electronics giant, however, is Blu-ray's role in movies. While Blu-ray will likely do fairly well on its own (once the prices come down to more consumer-friendly levels, anyway), Sony is using the PlayStation 3 to act as something of a Trojan Horse to get players into people's homes. If the PS3 is roughly as successful as Sony's past consoles, that would mean somewhere around 100 million Blu-ray players in homes all over the world in around five years or so, not counting standalone players."

Note - most obvious does not mean the main reason.

Note - More importantly means Sony as a whiole and not just the gaming department are trying to win a format war.

Sony have forgotten one important thing.

The PS2 introduced an already established success (dvd) to gamers.

THis time round they are trying to use the PS3 to introduce a format that most people are not interested in and is a long way from being a sure fire winner.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ill leave you in your fantasy world and come back tomorrow or when ever someone else has replied to prove my point right.
    Forum Member
    Ill leave you in your fantasy world and come back tomorrow or when ever someone else has replied to prove my point right.

Which point is that?

That Sony are using 50Gb discs when equal results can be obtained with 8?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which point is that?

That Sony are using 50Gb discs when equal results can be obtained with 8?

50GB for what? To use 50GB ( actually only using 25GB at the moment for games ) to achieve the same results as the Xbox 360 using 1 dual layer DVD.

Yeah, point seems to be proved.
    Forum Member
    50GB for what? To use 50GB ( actually only using 25GB at the moment for games ) to achieve the same results as the Xbox 360 using 1 dual layer DVD.

Yeah, point seems to be proved.

So you really are saying that games will be of equal sophistication when using a 25gb disc as those on an 8gb.

And you say I am in fantasyland:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you really are saying that games will be of equal sophistication when using a 25gb disc as those on an 8gb.

Well Resistance uses about 20GB, yet thats not better than Gears of war which uses 1 DVD. As i said, Blu-ray is a storage disk. It will not affect graphics. It will be able for games to last long if they wanted to.

All games on the PS3 are on Blu-ray disks. Why is it the games look the same that are relased on the 360 and PS3 when one uses Blu-ray and the other DVD.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 447
    Forum Member

Take a look at Oblivion, Gears of War, Crackdown, lost planet or Dead Rising and come back and say that again

And they all easily fit on 1 DVD each.

Wonderfull thing compression and disk streaming. Saves on space and costs.

Resistance uses 20gb because they haven't compressed the data and shoved several language tracks on one disk (which has a knock on effect of making games load slower as the uncompressed data is streamed from the disk into the machine).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 391
    Forum Member
    Rockstar have admitted having trouble squeezing GTA IV into one disc for the Xbox 360.

No such issues for the PS3 of course!:D

You can never have enough capacity I reckon, as the wonderful world of HD hurtles towards us.

Glad that Blu-ray is taking the lead, im rooting for the superior format this time round. Forget price, that will come down in time regardless of who wins.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Imy786 wrote: »
    Rockstar have admitted having trouble squeezing GTA IV into one disc for the Xbox 360.

No such issues for the PS3 of course!:D

You can never have enough capacity I reckon, as the wonderful world of HD hurtles towards us.

Glad that Blu-ray is taking the lead, im rooting for the superior format this time round. Forget price, that will come down in time regardless of who wins.

2 DVDs?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    I Don't think the PS3 could have been put out as a games console without Blu-ray, Surly if it had been shipped with just a Std. DVD drive (like the inferior opposition) they would of launched it as a PS2 Elite !! ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone see the new Ghost Rider advert? I loved the way at the end in the very husky voice that it's available on DVD and Blu-Ray :D

Seriously though, just about all of the major film studios are now backing Blu-Ray - not to mention some of the key manufacturers in PC's as well as the standalone Blu-Ray players. It takes a big thing for a company such as Dell to be exclusively shipping their computers with Blu-Ray drives and that in my opinion paints a very big picture.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The main selling point for HD-DVD was that disc producers could update exsisting equipment on DVD production lines where as Blu-Ray needs new equipment on new production lines.

If the industry is willing to overlook this then the technical specs favour Blu Ray.

HD-DVD is a good product but Blu-Ray is just as good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blu Ray seems to really be starting to gain momentum over hd-dvd now. In my local HMV (Trafford centre), they now have 10 rows of Blu Rays and only 3 of hd-dvds. Just another pointer as to which way this is going...

Dave
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As covered in the thread the PS3 is a huge factor in the take up of Blu-ray, even if an owner only buys one movie from a shop it's going to swing the sales figures compared to HD DVD.

Still the UK is insignificant, the format war will be decided in the US.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,121
    Forum Member
    My advice would be either to wait for a while and see which one wins, or look for a dual format player.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,439
    Forum Member
    Jarrak wrote: »
    As covered in the thread the PS3 is a huge factor in the take up of Blu-ray, even if an owner only buys one movie from a shop it's going to swing the sales figures compared to HD DVD.

Still the UK is insignificant, the format war will be decided in the US.

Hardly insignificant, the UK mostly leads the world - the USA always seem fairly backward taking up new technology?.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hardly insignificant, the UK mostly leads the world - the USA always seem fairly backward taking up new technology?.

We are discussing specifically making Blu-ray or HD DVD the only global HD media standard and the UK market will have little impact both in terms of hardware sales and software sales. The UK market will generate a ton of cash but not enough to sustain a product that fails in the US and Japan.

That is why the UK (and EU) are the third on the list when it comes to major product launches by global entertainment brands with the PS3 being the most obvious recent example.