How to transfer movies to iPad ??

Hi
Can anyone tell me the best way to get movies downloaded on my iPad for use when no Internet (downloads etc ) for hols

I have a separate hard drive with films on etc do they do any connectors to connect my hardrive directly to the iPad and will it read that its connected ??
Thanks in advance

Comments

• mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you're talking about movies you've downloaded off the internet then you'll most likely need a divx movie compatible app for starters* and then for transferring movies across you can plug your ipad into your computer and use itunes. That's how I did it in the past.

(*unless newer versions of ios play divx movies as standard...)
  • -Batman--Batman- Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    use can use a program that will convert films to mp4v which will add to iTunes and will then in upload to your iPad. search for Handbrake really easy to use.
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use MP4ToMkv to convert x264 video files, which work on my iPad. If that doesn't work, then I use Freemake Video Converter to convert the entire thing to an Apple format.
  • HoneyGlazedTailHoneyGlazedTail Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    You could always use a video format converter known as SUPER, which despite it having a very basic UI, it is jam-packed with video conversion options from the file format to the picture resolution and aspect ratio! Plus it is absolutely free! :cool:
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've found AVPlayerHD will play just about anything you throw at it. It is a paid app though but imo worth it.

You can use iTunes to copy the movie files onto the iPad ( you go into applications and add the file to the applications documents )

Or it also has wifi transfer. You go into the wifi transfer mode in AVPlayerHD which gives you a local web address. You can then just browse to that local web address from your PC with the movies on it and follow the instructions on how to basically upload the movie wirelessly to the iPad
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »
    I've found AVPlayerHD will play just about anything you throw at it. It is a paid app though but imo worth it.

You can use iTunes to copy the movie files onto the iPad ( you go into applications and add the file to the applications documents )

Or it also has wifi transfer. You go into the wifi transfer mode in AVPlayerHD which gives you a local web address. You can then just browse to that local web address from your PC with the movies on it and follow the instructions on how to basically upload the movie wirelessly to the iPad
    That requires the hosting PC to be on thought, not everyone, like myself likes to leave the PC on when it isn't necessary. I've found converting to MP4 is the best solution as it allows you to watch the file solely with the iPad.
  • Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    I might be wrong but I suspect it's more the nuts and bolts of actually transferring a movie onto an iPad that the OP will need help with.

I have VLC Player installed on my iPad (from back when it was available) and copying files from a PC to the iPad so VLC Player could play them wasn't the most intuitive operation.

You had to hook the iPad up to a PC, open up iTunes and then select VLC then right-click and click "add files" or summat, and then select the movies so they'd be transferred across to the iPad.

It was a while back though so I can't recall properly.
    If somebody knows the exact procedure it might help the OP. :o
  • FranglaisFranglais Posts: 3,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really relevant to the OP's question but I assume he/she knows that films on BBC's iPlayer on the iPad can be downloaded to view later - even when out of the UK - I've done that a few times to keep me occupied during boring air flights.

Downside is it only stays on your iPad for 30 days then only 7 days once you've viewed it. Also programmes originally shown with subtitles don't get the subs downloaded too with the respective film(s) which is a pity unless, of course, they're built into the films like Montalbano, Borgen, etc.
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daedroth wrote: »
    I use MP4ToMkv to convert x264 video files, which work on my iPad. If that doesn't work, then I use Freemake Video Converter to convert the entire thing to an Apple format.

Just a heads up: I tried Freemake today, and the current version downloaded from their site is riddled with malware. Best avoided.
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Daedroth wrote: »
    That requires the hosting PC to be on thought, not everyone, like myself likes to leave the PC on when it isn't necessary. I've found converting to MP4 is the best solution as it allows you to watch the file solely with the iPad.

AVPlayerHD only requires a computer to be on to transfer the videos to the iPad, not to play them. It's not a server, and not streaming, and it plays locally stored videos.

You transfer videos to the iPad from your computer, using iTunes or FTP, and then play them on the iPad whenever and wherever you want, without the computer having to be turned on.

An example of a video app that *does* require a computer to stay on as a server to stream the videos would be AirPlayer.