WHITNEY HOUSTON & MARIAH CAREY, which one is the best singer in the recorded history?

2»

Comments

• tediouslyrandomtediouslyrandom Posts: 809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bergy87 wrote: »
    Whitney, back in the day she was 'the voice' x

Her voice covers you like velvet, it makes you feel safe and warm.

The Voice, Whitney Houston.

And then some...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 495
    Forum Member
    Best female vocalist is Celine. She is one of the very few females that have the vocal power to pull off a stadium concert. The others end up squealing. In terms of both sexes id rank her about 8th.
  • tediouslyrandomtediouslyrandom Posts: 809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sjp07 wrote: »

Or together on Oprah:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIfX2StSkIY

Whitney gifting to Mariah, close your eyes and you can feel Whitney.
  • GGzSuxGGzSux Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    Whitney follwed by Celine.

Mariah has an amazing voice, but her songs have been mediocre since the Rainbow era.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mariah, she can do a lot more with her voice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    I've always thought it unfair to compare them during their two duet performances! Whitney performance style was always erratic, lots of extra ad-libs etc where as Mariah's style has drastically changed over the years & was fairly controlled & subdued by the year they dueted! I adore both their voices but I think Mariah has the edge when you see her let rip in some of her earlier performances!

That performance of 'if its over' is just perfection!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whitney Houston. The greatest singer ever at her peak.
  • KissesDontLieKissesDontLie Posts: 450
    Forum Member
    Mariah absolutely. And her songs are much better.
  • Barry_ClarkeBarry_Clarke Posts: 2,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In her absolute prime Whitney Houston destroyed Mariah. Mariah was just a technical singer, Whitney had the soul as well as the range. Just watching her on the preacher's wife yesterday showed what an absolute phenomenal artist she is.
  • rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sjp07 wrote: »
    Oscars '99 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7qX3eQVnQ0

Here is your answer. Clearly Mariah's face at 2:33 shows she knows the answer too.

Mariah is a better artist, but Whitney was the VOICE.

2:51 Mariah should get some sort of award for holding back the tears, the look of pure defeat on her face!

Whitney was best, worrying how much greater she could have been if drugs hadn't taken control so early in her career.

Mariah is still an awesome artist, and probably has more great tracks, but some times she's not as nice to listen to, sings a bit too high sometimes, just because she can, not because it suits the song imo.

Only Celine comes close to this pair in terms of vocalists since the 90s.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2:51 Mariah should get some sort of award for holding back the tears, the look of pure defeat on her face

Wow, yes. She seemed a bit lost. Good spot.
  • Barney06Barney06 Posts: 123,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Whitney. Followed by Celine, then Mariah

That trio on a continuous loop would be high on a list of my worst nightmares
  • HelbrownHelbrown Posts: 3,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Neither. One shouts, the other one couldn't carry a tune in a bucket.....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mariah absolutely. And her songs are much better.

That doesn't really have much to do with who is the better singer, though, does it? I'm sure most would agree that Mariah had much better songs overall, but Whitney is by far the better singer.
  • Imperfect AngelImperfect Angel Posts: 3,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mariah Carey. End.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whitney! Exclamation mark, underlined, bolded and signed.
  • LewnaticcLewnaticc Posts: 3,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mariah, technically.
    Whitney, emotively.
  • Super_FurrySuper_Furry Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "WHITNEY HOUSTON & MARIAH CAREY, which one is the best singer in the recorded history?"

Neither.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Technically speaking Mariah has the better voice. Bigger range and simply boundless. There's nothing she couldn't do with it that others could.

When it comes to tone and quality that is pure personal choice. I think most will prefer Whitneys tone as it was fuller and smoother. Personally I prefer Mariahs, there are far more layers to her voice and she uses it in a variety of ways.

In terms of artistry there is no question. Mariah would write, produce and help compose most of her biggest hits, and almost all of her songs with the odd cover here and there. Butterfly in particular stand out from an artist point of view, and Whitney, as great as her songs were, don't even come close. She interpereted not only her own words but the words of others in ways I have never seen since. Each note has been sung for a reason, each belt had its purpose.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    Couple of points:

If you're using anything post 1996 of Mariah's to compare with, you're looking at, someone who in a way, had already lost her voice, 90-96 Mariah is in a totally different league and had unique power, soul and technical ability.

I think we neglect the fact that those of you saying Whitney have v likely not seen all of Mariah's performances and those saying Mariah have likely not seen all of Whitney's performances so unless you've seen all of each available, you're still uninformed and ill-equipped to judge.

Those who are uber fans of one artist and have only seen a handful of the other's performances and who shout about how much better 'their artist' are most shameful.. it should be hard to give an objective answer, not as easy as some of you apparently find it.

Finally I should also mention that in these 'Mariah fail' moments people are pointing out re, the When You Believe performance - Whitney's parts were melody parts and Mariah's parts were bg harmony parts as they are on the record, by definition Whitney must dominate those parts while Mariah sings in the bg... shouldn't need explaining but hey ho.

It's only people who are insecure about 'their favs' who need to assert one is better / 'destroys' the other. Pfffft and nonsense,
  • sej17sej17 Posts: 377
    Forum Member
    Barbra Streisand, Donna Summer and Céline Dion have the best voices for me.
  • VisitingVisiting Posts: 40,112
    Forum Member
    Whitney. And Celine
  • coun3spicecoun3spice Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    has anybody heard of CHARICE?

an incredible young singer...

do search about her, she can do mariah, whitney, celine, beyonce amazingly.. :)