Has 1D surpassed Leona yet?

Comments

• abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This annoys me so much. 1D will never pass Leona as most successful. Leona didn't have half the stuff 1D did. 1D would get millions of YouTube views from the US weekly, so they weren't ever really unknown. Leona went from unknown to full on super-star. She had the biggest selling single in the UK in 2007, and biggest selling single in USA in 2008. Her album has sold so much more than 1D have with their 2 (or 3?). Without Leona, I doubt 1D would ever of had the success they have had, because without Leona I don't think the ratings would ever of improved because there was never a 'star'. Alexandra too, she was similar, she was a big break-out success, and without them 1D never would of got anywhere.

shouldn't let it annoy you, though, imo...

1D is quite big globally at the moment and with everybody attaching themselves to them to get precious column inches, it is a fair and valid question indeed to ask if they have surpassed her success :o
  • JB92JB92 Posts: 2,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stargirl1 wrote: »
    I take it this is UK sales?

According to their record label 1D have sold 30 million albums and singles globally. Sounds a lot but considering their last album sold over half a million in the first week in the US alone its most likely an accurate figure.

Yeah this is UK sales. Both their albums have sold 1-2 million in America.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    Did she win? *dunks biscuit in tea* :)

She's the only X Factor act to be nominated for a Grammy, so I think that's quite an achievement.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1D's first two albums are both in the Top 5 Bestselling Albums in the US last year (2012).

Both albums are also in the Top 5 Bestselling Albums worldwide in 2012. :cool:

That's some achievement. :cool:
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did she win? *dunks biscuit in tea* :)

She is the only X Factor UK contestant to be recognised. *stirs tea with spoon*
  • stargirl1stargirl1 Posts: 5,573
    Forum Member
    JB92 wrote: »
    Yeah this is UK sales. Both their albums have sold 1-2 million in America.

I think 1D's albums have sold over 3 million combined. I have no idea how much Leona has sold in the US, but considering how album sales have declined recently 1D are doing really well.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zack06 wrote: »
    She is the only X Factor UK contestant to be recognised. *stirs tea with spoon*

I'll take that as a no then *adds more sugar to tea*
    ;)
  • TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    ;)

Why are you trying to downplay this achievement? Whether she won or not is irrelevant, she's still the only X Factor act they've ever even taken notice of.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tyjet wrote: »
    Why are you trying to downplay this achievement? Whether she won or not is irrelevant, she's still the only X Factor act they've ever even taken notice of.

sorry everyone for wading in, but i don't think twingle is downplaying it...

she only mentioned ONCE that she didn't win the grammy... and in a sort of *banter* at that as well...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ;)

Leona achieved worldwide critical acclaim with one album. Aren't 1D on their third now? Still no Grammys? Maybe one day 1D will be noticed by the Academy. Or maybe not. *reheats cold tea in the microwave* :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stargirl1 wrote: »
    I think 1D's albums have sold over 3 million combined. I have no idea how much Leona has sold in the US, but considering how album sales have declined recently 1D are doing really well.

I think Spirit sold nearly 2 million in the US, around 10 million worldwide.
  • MatejaMateja Posts: 731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leona achieved worldwide critical acclaim with one album. Aren't 1D on their third now? Still no Grammys? Maybe one day 1D will be noticed by the Academy. Or maybe not. *reheats cold tea in the microwave* :(

She was nominated for a Grammy, but didn't win it, so in the end she is in the same boat as 1D. Meanwhile, 1D won many other awards: Brits, MTV EMAs, MTV VMAs, various Kids and Teen Choice Awards and we could go on. So just drop it.
  • commentcomment Posts: 920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One Direction are more widely known now, they will, if not already, overtake Leona as being the most successful
    Forum Member
    Mateja wrote: »
    She was nominated for a Grammy, but didn't win it, so in the end she is in the same boat as 1D. Meanwhile, 1D won many other awards: Brits, MTV EMAs, MTV VMAs, various Kids and Teen Choice Awards and we could go on. So just drop it.

Would you argue that winning an MTV movie award is better than an Oscar nomination? ;)
  • MatejaMateja Posts: 731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tyjet wrote: »
    Would you argue that winning an MTV movie award is better than an Oscar nomination? ;)

Actually ... yes. Winning is better than just being nominated. Even if the award you are just being nominated for is more prestigious.

Personally, I don't think Oscars and Grammy are any better than other awards.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually ... yes. Winning is better than just being nominated. Even if the award you are just being nominated for is more prestigious.

I tend to think that awards that don't have fan votes are better because then we don't get the same people winning over again......
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

All fan voted awards. You could name drop every award under the sun, but we all know that in the music industry, the Grammys hold the highest acclaim, in the same way an Oscar does for the film industry.

The fact that Leona was able to get noticed by the Academy, who have recognised various musical greats and legends, with just her debut album is a feat in itself. 1D have churned out several albums and the Academy hasn't cast a moment's thought towards them.
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    without having a list of names to hand i expect the grammy nominees over the years will include a right load if crap. I think (but might be wrong) that that Carly Rae whatsit with that annoying call me maybe was nominated last year.

Like any award, even winning isn't an infallible mark of quality but merely being nominated is a very slim accolade to say the least
    Forum Member

That must be why things like "Academy Award nominee" are used to sell films instead of "6-time MTV Movie Award winner" :D

Seriously, though. If you can't see that fan-voted awards are worth far, far less than industry-voted awards, then that's your problem. Popularity comes and goes, but true quality is timeless.
  • annushkaannushka Posts: 3,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are we moving the conversation towards quality because the sales might not be on Leona's side afterall...? She had huge success, I am not dissing that.
    Yes being nominated for a grammy is great, but that wasn't the topic at all, was it?

What Leona did is awsome in term of success, and now 1D is catching up with her... Those are still the only 2 X Factor acts who have had worldwide success, so good for them.

BTW: Is Bleeding Love a cover? I have always thought it was an original, but read somewhere that it was a cover & was surprised... I know her next album was launched with a cover.
    1D have launched their albums only with original songs -however you judge those songs, it's something worth noting IMO.
    Forum Member
    annushka wrote: »
    BTW: Is Bleeding Love a cover? I have always thought it was an original, but read somewhere that it was a cover & was surprised... I know her next album was launched with a cover.
    1D have launched their albums only with original songs -however you judge those songs, it's something worth noting IMO.

No, it was originally written for Jesse McCartney, but his label refused it and it went to Leona instead.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    annushka wrote: »
    Are we moving the conversation towards quality because the sales might not be on Leona's side afterall...? She had huge success, I am not dissing that.
    Yes being nominated for a grammy is great, but that wasn't the topic at all, was it?

What Leona did is awsome in term of success, and now 1D is catching up with her... Those are still the only 2 X Factor acts who have had worldwide success, so good for them.

None of her albums have been "launched with a cover".

Bleeding Love was an original song written by Ryan Tedder and Jesse McCartney. It was originally for Jesse, but Ryan offered it to Leona after reworking the song. 1D have done something similar before by recording Kelly Clarkson's leftovers.

Leona re-released Spirit with Run, which was a cover and a #1 single, however, the album had already been released, she just put out a deluxe version of the same album with some extra songs. It was not a launch.

Happy, which launched her 2nd album Echo, was also an original song written by Leona herself with Ryan and Evan Bogart. It charted at #2 in the UK and within the top 40 in the US.

Trouble was written by Leona and Emeli Sandé and was a top 10 hit. So none of her albums have "been launched by covers". Leona often writes her on her own material and has written for other artists as well, unlike others.
  • JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    I do think 1D have shifted more records. But in terms of quality Leona remains the Queen and I would like to see her at the top again.

But well done to 1D though. Some of their songs are great and it just shows you that we live in a world where looks and average singing can get you far. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who cares - they're both crap.
  • d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    Leona has Grammy nominations....*sips tea*. ;)

Exactly! Says it all.