Forum Member
    I think they would be brilliant!

I'd buy it in a moment!
  • Options
    Nesta RobbinsNesta Robbins Posts: 30,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    River_Tam wrote: »
    ah, they should do it! perfect pairing for it :)

(Miserable lot!) ;):p Absolutely agree. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This song cannot and must not be covered. EVER. :mad: Christ. :mad:

Tell that to Ronan sodding Keating!!

At least a Stacey/Shaun version would be tongue in cheek - I'd quite like to hear it :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    RootsFranRootsFran Posts: 510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was it not Ronan and Katie Melua not Moya Brennan? or did they both do it, either way I think the original was stunning and even more emotional now Kirsty is gone, Shane was/is a superb songwriter.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    BP4L wrote: »
    If it's going to have a chance of getting close to an Xmas #1 it will has to top the charts before this Sunday. A very, very short space of time.

As Christmas is on a Saturday and charts are announced on a Sunday, Christmas Number 1 is declated this Sunday 19th December.

They can't get there by then, since its not released yet.
  • Options
    patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spaceygal wrote: »
    I think it would be fun to hear them singing it, but they have to do Irish accents, it just wouldn't sound right otherwise! The whole style of the song is Traditional Irish folk and I'm not sure it would work with Mancunian and Essex accents, lol!

:confused::confused: Neither Shane nor Kirsty have Irish accents? :confused::rolleyes:
  • Options
    patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GerriP wrote: »
    Tell that to Ronan sodding Keating!!

At least a Stacey/Shaun version would be tongue in cheek - I'd quite like to hear it :)

Why'd ya think I'm so :mad::mad: He can't sing his own songs, never mind anyone else's.........
    It's had to do a tongue-in-cheek version of something that's already so tongue in cheek that it'd put a hole in the side of your face....
    IMO it should never be covered. There's a few songs that are just too special. ;)
  • Options
    jaydogzjaydogz Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    Shaun was on Radio 1 with Gregg James today, plugging his album, he mentioned Aggro's mix of Happy Mondays track, but said there was no chance of the Pogues cover happening as it was too late to chart for the xmas no1 race.
  • Options
    Scratchy7929Scratchy7929 Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aaaaahhhhhhhh! Stacey's time to cash in on her Jungle fame is running out :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This song cannot and must not be covered. EVER. :mad: Christ. :mad:

Agreed!

I refuse to listen to this.

:mad:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrlimbo wrote: »
    Since its original release, "Fairytale of New York" has been covered by numerous artists, including:

Christy Moore on Smoke and Strong Whiskey and ‎Live at the Point
    Sinéad O'Connor
    Damien Dempsey
    KT Tunstall and Ed Harcourt (on the Have Yourself a Very KT Christmas EP)
    Third Eye Blind
    Razorlight
    Dustin the Turkey with Dervla Kirwan
    The Irish Tenors (who leave out some of the racier verses)
    Karine Polwart
    Sven Wollter and Lotta Engberg
    No Use For A Name
    Erik Petersen of Mischief Brew
    Jesse Malin
    Stars
    Dustin Kensrue, This version is sung solely from the perspective of McGowan's character, with the second verse altered and the third entirely rewritten
    Ronan Keating and Moya Brennan, the word "****" is written out of this version.
    Amy MacDonald
    Florence Welch and Billy Bragg
    The City on Film
    Bob Schneider
    Forever the Sickest Kids featuring Sally Gunnell
    Pilot Speed featuring Lindi Ortega
    :rolleyes:

If people want to have a stab at doing it, then fine, but I just can't see anyone doing a better job (least of all Stacey effing Solomon) - IMO the song is so perfect as it is. As all these other versions exist and I've never heard any of them played, I'm probably not the only one that thinks so!

In that vein, it's not a travesty that they're releasing a version by these two individuals... it'll vanish into obscurity within seconds and no one will speak of it again... but it would be pretty bad if it made it to Christmas number 1 (thank **** it doesn't have a chance in hell) when the Pogues themselves never managed it!