Changes to Radio 2: Alex Lester to weekends, 3-5am with repeats

Comments

• Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    Not true in my experience. There's a different feel to overnight listening and people do get attached in a different way. Clive Bull's legendary Through the Night show on LBC is a case in point.

All listeners get attached to a presenter but when that changes they'll just become attached to a different one.
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They more or less do that already, with The BBC Introducing Mixtape, Mondays 2-3am and available as a podcast. The local BBC Introducing teams recommend tracks to the national stations, which get airplay on their Introducing shows, though it appears Radio 1's show is going to be incorporated into Huw Stephens's new late show in September.
    thanks ill stick that in my favorites.

Not going to get any credit on this forum judging by the other thread, but Dermots Indy Mums is a good feature, Radio 2 should be using more of.

Granted I am only 5 minutes in, but im not sure about this "to learn more visit our website thing" have this DJ who handpicked these tracks, explains the reason for it.
  • iain_stevenson1iain_stevenson1 Posts: 1,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe they've axed Alex Lesters weeknight show after all these years. There will be big demonstrations outside radio 2 studios!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a sad state of affairs when the biggest music station in the country can't afford to be live overnights. If people want to hear repeats of Sounds of the 60s, Sounds of the 70s etc. then surely that's what the BBC iPlayer is for.

When this comes in will there be *any* radio stations at all in the UK with live presenters throughout the night?

just be grateful its not like radio one.They've just axed half their night time DJ s!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What'll happen to Jo Whiley? Maybe she do Thursdays & Fridays?

Jo Whiley to replace Ken Bruce with Ken doing a new 10pm show monday to thursday perhaps? Bedtime with Bruce !
  • CynicalGnomeCynicalGnome Posts: 105
    Forum Member
    This news is actually quite upsetting for me; I enjoy listening to both Alex and Richard - for the keep one company in the Graveyard hours - thus I'll probably divert to Classic FM.

Classic FM though doesn't stock high in English banter or wit, albeit unless in their constant commercials
  • GeordieyodelGeordieyodel Posts: 901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jo Whiley to replace Ken Bruce with Ken doing a new 10pm show monday to thursday perhaps? Bedtime with Bruce !

Didn't he briefly do that show in the early nineties or late eighties? I agree, I'd imagine Jo or Zoe to be first choice as and when the great Ken chooses to step down.
  • PassengersPassengers Posts: 764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This news is actually quite upsetting for me; I enjoy listening to both Alex and Richard - for the keep one company in the Graveyard hours - thus I'll probably divert to Classic FM.

Classic FM though doesn't stock high in English banter or wit, albeit unless in their constant commercials

Nick Bailey isn't a bad listen on Classic FM to be fair. There are fewer commercials overnight too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't he briefly do that show in the early nineties or late eighties? I agree, I'd imagine Jo or Zoe to be first choice as and when the great Ken chooses to step down.

Yes he did just for a few months in 1990
  • phildunk1986phildunk1986 Posts: 1,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ken Bruce was moved to the Late Show in the early 90's when Judith Chalmers took over mid mornings from him. At this time Chris Stuart was hosting the Early Show. Ken swapped Chris as he preferred broadcasting in the mornings than late evenings and Chris Stuart was sick of broadcasting early in the mornings. Ken was moved back to mid mornings when Judith Chalmers left.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ken Bruce also started out on BBC Radio 2 hosting the Saturday Late Show in the 1980's whilst hosting the BBC Radio Scotland weekday afternoon show.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The station can't really mess with the weekday daytime schedule as it's the core operation which gets the most listened too. Moving overnights around removing one person isn't a major thing, the only problem is the way the station is going towards automation and losing the key live interaction which the audience enjoy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was surprised to tune into BBC Three Counties Radio to find. Alex Lester is currently sitting in for Justin Dealey now until 12.00
  • FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,804
    Forum Member

He did and he hated it.
    If you read his autobiography then you'll learn that he loves morning radio, that's what he thrives on, late night just didn't work for him at all.
  • number6number6 Posts: 1,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would urge anyone, who wants to complain about the move of the Bob Harris Show to 3am (or indeed other presenter moves), to read this, then register a BBC complaint.
    http://www.bobharris.org/whispers/topic.asp?whichpage=1&TOPIC_ID=4166#13684
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ken swapped Chris as he preferred broadcasting in the mornings than late evenings and Chris Stuart was sick of broadcasting early in the mornings.

To be fair I don't think the 2 presenters agreed a swap of shows themselves, this is a national network we are talking about not a Panini sticker album. I would suggest it was the controller of the day that arranged the move.
  • ahoymeisterahoymeister Posts: 1,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiogram wrote: »
    To be fair I don't think the 2 presenters agreed a swap of shows themselves, this is a national network we are talking about not a Panini sticker album. I would suggest it was the controller of the day that arranged the move.
    According to his autobiography, he went to the then controller asking to be moved off late nights. She could only offer early mornings or mid afternoons. Chris Stuart wanted to come off the early show so it appears to be a rare example of genuine mutual consent.

I do think Radio 2 is missing a trick late at night. A late evening show in the old Radcliffe style could be something distinctive and different. Liz Kershaw makes it clear in her recent autobiography that she would like to do the 10 - midnight slot as a music/talk show. I'm not a fan personally but it would at least be different to what is on offer elsewhere.
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to his autobiography, he went to the then controller asking to be moved off late nights. She could only offer early mornings or mid afternoons. Chris Stuart wanted to come off the early show so it appears to be a rare example of genuine mutual consent.

I do think Radio 2 is missing a trick late at night. A late evening show in the old Radcliffe style could be something distinctive and different. Liz Kershaw makes it clear in her recent autobiography that she would like to do the 10 - midnight slot as a music/talk show. I'm not a fan personally but it would at least be different to what is on offer elsewhere.

Fair enough, not red Ken's book, guess it was luck on both guys side then.

Agree about the late show, the Radcliffe shows were excellent in that slot.
  • Marksw76Marksw76 Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You wonder if this is the final time Allinson gets axed from a permanent slot at Radio2, surely they can't keep messing him about, previously getting dropped/reinstated and then dropped again.

Sounds like he'll be freelancing if he does get any cover work at R2, he mentioned words to the effect of 'leaving the BBC' on his Saturday show this week so definitely sounds like he's off the BBC payroll.

A real shame to lose the programme >:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marksw76 wrote: »
    You wonder if this is the final time Allinson gets axed from a permanent slot at Radio2, surely they can't keep messing him about, previously getting dropped/reinstated and then dropped again.

Sounds like he'll be freelancing if he does get any cover work at R2, he mentioned words to the effect of 'leaving the BBC' on his Saturday show this week so definitely sounds like he's off the BBC payroll.

Richard Allinson did a excellent programme on BBC Local Radio called Allinson's Albums which was a pre recorded programme first broadcast on BBC Radio Oxford then BBC Radio York and finally BBC Radio Cumbria where it came off the air due to budget cuts. The show was axed to make way for local programmes which were removed off week nights for Mark Forrest. If Paul Gambaccini is still away on Saturday nights in October Allinson's Albums could be brought back and broadcast to a national audience on BBC Radio 2 for 2 hours between 20.00 - 22.00 or for 1 hour after Johnnie Walker between 21.00 - 22.00
  • Mark CMark C Posts: 20,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

To be fair, we know nothing about 'a week in the life of RA' nor should we expect to.
    He may well have some other off air job, nothing to do with the BBC or even broadcasting, and his R2 gigs are just a 'paid hobby' for want of a better expression.

I like him, but that's not pre judge whether or not these changes suit his working week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Allinson was dropped from his night time show in 2004, then from his Saturday Afternoon show in 2005, before being reinstated to R2 in 2009. In the time he was away from regular presenting duties at R2, in 2006, he took on a Saturday morning slot on BBC Radio Oxford then a number of BBC Local Stations took on 'Allinson's Albums' BFBS also took this show on as well.
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,843
    Forum Member
    Who did the late show when RA dept for JW on Drive in 1999?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lynn Parsons covered the late show for Richard Allinson. Nicky Horne covered Lynn's overnight weekend show.
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,843
    Forum Member
    Lynn Parsons covered the late show for Richard Allinson. Nicky Horne covered Lynn's overnight weekend show.

Ah cheers for that