Options

Only Connect (BBC2)

Comments

• Options
    DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    True, one would need to be pretty good at geography to come up with countries beginning with CO in 30 seconds .

Colombia doesn't work, not sure if Congo is an actual country, so Costa Rica seems the only one.

A quick google of countries of the world in alphabetical order gives

Colombia
    Comoros
    Congo
    Congo Democratic Republic
    Costa Rica
    Cote d'Ivoire

so it could have gone Congo Democratic Republic > Iceland......I wonder if they had a list if potential correct answers depending on how the contestants proceeded.

But it still denies them the chance of getting it in 1, which has been done a handful of times.
  • Options
    jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Were the first two rounds slightly easier than usual? I managed to get several right and actually out-guessed the contestants on a couple. Perhaps they were easing the BBC2 newbie viewers in! ;-)
    Bear in mind folks, this is the first round and everyone's most recent memories are of the final rounds of the previous series. These ones are going to feel easier than 'the last one' because they are but that's because 'the last one' was a final, which is intentionally harder than the first round and always has been.

We'll need to get into the middle of the series or so before we can judge the overall difficulty.
  • Options
    Jungle CatsJungle Cats Posts: 765
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why do they no longer have the play along walls and the fan walls on their website?!!??!!!! >:(

I enjoyed doing the walls myself :(

totally dumbed it down for BBC2. thank god it's not on Channel 5 :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The captain of the Cat Lovers was a total NERD with a really annoying nerd voice!

I'm having horrible flashbacks to the irritating captain of the Boardgamers from last series.... :(
  • Options
    SimonK01SimonK01 Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    The captain of the Cat Lovers was a total NERD with a really annoying nerd voice! :(

Love ya too, baby!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SimonK01 wrote: »
    Love ya too, baby!

so do you win the series?
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    The captain of the Cat Lovers was a total NERD with a really annoying nerd voice!

I'm having horrible flashbacks to the irritating captain of the Boardgamers from last series.... :(
    Par for the course for Only Connect, seemed a very typical contestant to me, not at all arrogant like some have been.

btw Ross from the Politicos was sending my gaydar ringing louder than Big Ben.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fizzbin wrote: »

btw Ross from the Politicos was sending my gaydar ringing louder than Big Ben.

Ross can 'ring my bell' any time! What a cutie! ;-)
  • Options
    atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And only two questions in before points are awarded for a wrong answer. Victoria even almost apologetically had to shoehorn in an explanation why "they all go to the left" was the same as "clockwise movement".

Everybody probably knows you pass the port to the left, which is why they said it without thinking too hard about the other clues, and it does "rather depend where you're standing whether they go to the left or the right" as she said about the horses, but they in fact turn right if they race in a clockwise sense, and left or right motion is totally meaningless for cyclones, again the winds are veering to the right.

Should have gone across I'm afraid, or at least give them another go to make them think a bit.

It's lazy and infuriating.

P.S. Especially when she didn't want to give them the points for saying "elements" instead of "metals", when elements was just as correct. If they'd included bronze or pewter they could have been stricter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it was strange that she disallowed 'Cock and Cock'

you could argue that Cockerel's go 'Cock'.... especially as they had 'Baa' and 'Moo' when the animals don't really make those sounds, so it's all a matter of opinion. stupid round really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it was strange that she disallowed 'Cock and Cock'

you could argue that Cockerels go 'Cock'.... especially as they had 'Baa' and 'Moo' when the animals don't really make those sounds, so it's all a matter of opinion. stupid round really.
    Haven't you answered your own question, even if the accepted name for the noise it makes is cock-a-doodle-doo?

What did she mean at the end when she said the winners were straight through to the next round? Don't they have to win a second match to do so? Or does she really not know?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    atg wrote: »
    Haven't you answered your own question, even if the accepted name for the noise it makes is cock-a-doodle-doo?

What did she mean at the end when she said the winners were straight through to the next round? Don't they have to win a second match to do so? Or does she really not know?

Cock is short for Cockeral, so that should be acceptable. And what sound the animals make is up to personal opinion. Cow's don't really go 'Moo' , so a cock could reasonably go 'cock'

the losers have to win another match to get through to the next round. Winners go straight through
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cock is short for Cockeral, so that should be acceptable. And what sound the animals make is up to personal opinion. Cow's don't really go 'Moo' , so a cock could reasonably go 'cock'

the losers have to win another match to get through to the next round. Winners go straight through
    But Moo is the full accepted English word for the noise a cow makes, while cock isn't. And you can't accept shortened versions of words anyway. Not to mention that there was a perfectly good alternative answer.

So what exactly is the format for this series? Have the winners gone straight through to the quarter-finals?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DICKENS99 wrote: »
    A quick google of countries of the world in alphabetical order gives

Colombia
    Comoros
    Congo
    Congo Democratic Republic
    Costa Rica
    Cote d'Ivoire

so it could have gone Congo Democratic Republic > Iceland......I wonder if they had a list if potential correct answers depending on how the contestants proceeded.

But it still denies them the chance of getting it in 1, which has been done a handful of times.

It's the Democratic Republic of the Congo and the Republic of the Congo, so Iceland doesn't work. Cote d'Ivoire does lead to any of the Republics - Ireland, India, Korea. You'd have to disqualify the "Republic of" though - as the Republic of Costa Rica. So the question is based on the lazy names of UN countries.

Of course, "officially" the question falls to pieces. "Republic of Suriname", "United Mexican States", "Republic of Costa Rica", "Canada"....
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True, one would need to be pretty good at geography to come up with countries beginning with CO in 30 seconds .

Colombia doesn't work, not sure if Congo is an actual country, so Costa Rica seems the only one.

But you dont know that the last one has to start with a CA until you see clue three.

The question is simply unanswerable from just seeing the first 5pt clue.

Very poor from the setters/ producers, and for people not to notice.
  • Options
    xendesktopxendesktop Posts: 526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My thoughts:

1) Questions were ridiculously easy in comparison the the latter stages of the last series (but even that one was easier than previous series) which is why it jars somewhat
    2) WTF has happened to the walls on the website?
    3) The minimum number of points for speeding is actually 2. Offences in a 20mph "play" zone which do not match another offence are awarded 2 points, not 3. The research quality has dropped significantly!
    4) Glad to have it back on the screens and for such a long run :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    codeblue wrote: »
    But you dont know that the last one has to start with a CA until you see clue three.

The question is simply unanswerable from just seeing the first 5pt clue.

Very poor from the setters/ producers, and for people not to notice.

I've already commented that "Republic of" causes issues here, but if we put that to one side.

Suriname ends "Me" which must be Mexico. Mexico ends "Co" which must be one of Colombia, Comoros, Costa Rica, (Cook Islands), (Cote d'Ivoire) and Congo. There are no countries starting Ia, Os, Ds, Go - so it must be Ca. The big miss is the Cote d'Ivoire one, which they probably called Ivory Coast.

If we are calling Cote d'Ivoire - the Ivory Coast, then Suriname should actually be spelt Surinam (older English spelling rather than Dutch).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xendesktop wrote: »
    3) The minimum number of points for speeding is actually 2. Offences in a 20mph "play" zone which do not match another offence are awarded 2 points, not 3. The research quality has dropped significantly!

I'll disagree here

https://www.gov.uk/penalty-points-endorsements/endorsement-codes-and-penalty-points

The minimum for speeding is 3 (codes SP10-SP50). Play Street Offences is MS30 and is not a speeding code.
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still making up my mind. Generally, despite a few 'too easy' questions (e.g. songs with Paradise in the title), it is generally getting more back to good, early, OC, rather than the last series, where all the questions were ridiculous and no fun for anyone.

Some of the questions, though, are slight respins of old OC questions, which is why us old hands may find them easy, I guess.
  • Options
    ClarkF1ClarkF1 Posts: 6,587
    Forum Member

For it to be Cockeral, the r and l would have had to be there and weren't so it wouldn't have been acceptable.
  • Options
    sazuburnssazuburns Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    atg wrote: »
    And only two questions in before points are awarded for a wrong answer. Victoria even almost apologetically had to shoehorn in an explanation why "they all go to the left" was the same as "clockwise movement".

Everybody probably knows you pass the port to the left, which is why they said it without thinking too hard about the other clues, and it does "rather depend where you're standing whether they go to the left or the right" as she said about the horses, but they in fact turn right if they race in a clockwise sense, and left or right motion is totally meaningless for cyclones, again the winds are veering to the right.

Should have gone across I'm afraid, or at least give them another go to make them think a bit.

It's lazy and infuriating.

P.S. Especially when she didn't want to give them the points for saying "elements" instead of "metals", when elements was just as correct. If they'd included bronze or pewter they could have been stricter.

Phew - I thought I was being very stupid when I didn't think her explanation made sense. 'Going to the left' being the same as clockwise movement is just wrong isn't it? I'm sure my watch hands sweep round to the right.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

According to Wonkypedia, 'Congo' is an acceptable alternative name for one of the Congos. As someone writes, it gets complicated with whether or not you should the full name of the country and also if the name should be in English or its native language.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ozark1 wrote: »
    I'll disagree here

https://www.gov.uk/penalty-points-endorsements/endorsement-codes-and-penalty-points

The minimum for speeding is 3 (codes SP10-SP50). Play Street Offences is MS30 and is not a speeding code.

Part of MS30 includes the use of vehicles already in the play zone or Home Zone, or indeed vehicles needing to pass through for whatever reason. Going faster than 'dead slow' may create an offence, and thus attract 2 penalty points.

Likelihood of this is minute, but this is OC....

Fact fans can read more here: http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/sustainable/homezones/circular22006thequietlanesan5740

If they had said SP offences, rather than offences for "speeding" then fair enough. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sazuburns wrote: »
    Phew - I thought I was being very stupid when I didn't think her explanation made sense. 'Going to the left' being the same as clockwise movement is just wrong isn't it? I'm sure my watch hands sweep round to the right.

If you face the thing that's moving, from your perspective clockwise would be to your left.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ozark1 wrote: »

If we are calling Cote d'Ivoire - the Ivory Coast, then Suriname should actually be spelt Surinam (older English spelling rather than Dutch).

On Wonkypedia it says that the government have said they only want the French name 'Côte d'Ivoire' used though I suppose a true Only Connect pedant would say it is 'Cô' not 'Co'!