Is there any news on boost recording yet?

Comments

• IgniteIgnite Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't tried recording yet, but pause now works with BT streamed channels.
  • David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like it's the update then. How is the box's operating speed?
  • Egg The GothEgg The Goth Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For the sake of a fiver or EVEN A TENNER.

If everyone who bought YW just said enough.........

They found some puppies to sell. Banked the cash then walked springs to mind

Or can "we" record and use what we pay for legally?

It's why I walked away and no, not in one iota, do I criticise current customers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any news yet?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. They began to roll out the update a few days ago. Internet channels are now recordable and the firmware has been upgraded, making the box that bit slicker.
  • television2004television2004 Posts: 2,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just downloaded new firmware.
    So far I have noticed no difference.
    Do you have to subscribe to Talktalk to download and save say programmes from BBCi player or ITV player. If not what do you do?
  • Seymour CatSeymour Cat Posts: 1,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have to subscribe to Talktalk to download and save say programmes from BBCi player or ITV player. If not what do you do?

You can't.

You can however record the streaming internet channels such as $ky1 the same way as for the Freeview channels.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just downloaded new firmware.
    So far I have noticed no difference.

There are differences, but if you don't subscribe to TalkTalk, you won't get the biggest one, which is the ability to record the streamed channels. On demand material, such as BBC iPlayer is not recordable and, presumably, never will be. That is true of any platform as far as I know.

The firmware upgrade should make your box a bit slicker. It isn't a dramatic difference, but it should no longer display annoying lags before acting on key presses. I would now call mine acceptably brisk rather than impressively fast.

There are now two versions of the epg: the standard one with its blue highlights and a high contrast one, which is monochrome only, but looks startlingly clear.

Finally, apparently the USB port on the back has been activated. It seems you can now plug a keyboard in there if you wish.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are differences, but if you don't subscribe to TalkTalk, you won't get the biggest one, which is the ability to record the streamed channels. On demand material, such as BBC iPlayer is not recordable and, presumably, never will be. That is true of any platform as far as I know.

The firmware upgrade should make your box a bit slicker. It isn't a dramatic difference, but it should no longer display annoying lags before acting on key presses. I would now call mine acceptably brisk rather than impressively fast.

There are now two versions of the epg: the standard one with its blue highlights and a high contrast one, which is monochrome only, but looks startlingly clear.

Finally, apparently the USB port on the back has been activated. It seems you can now plug a keyboard in there if you wish.

You can download content from iPlayer with the PC app, which gives you a little longer to watch after the BBC removes content from the iPlayer. I haven't used the PC app since getting YouView, but I think you had 30 days to watch before it expired.

It isn't quite a recording, but nearly!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ive just got off the phone to talk talk and they have said that after the 3rd September update there be doing 2 big updates 1 will come after 3rd sep other is oct plus we will beable hopefuelly to record off channals from 401 onwards from November this year so they say lets keep our fingers crossed at the moment we cant even set a reminder from 401 onwards
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's odd. I can record those channels now - and I wasn't part of the trial.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's odd. I can record those channels now - and I wasn't part of the trial.

me too
  • radio ladradio lad Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    Are these updates done automatically or do you have to go and look for them ? I have tried updating software ,then after about 2 seconds it says download failed.
  • television2004television2004 Posts: 2,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Using a Sky satellite HD box you can download BBC i Player and ITV player programmes to the hard drive.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radio lad wrote: »
    Are these updates done automatically or do you have to go and look for them ? I have tried updating software ,then after about 2 seconds it says download failed.

The update is being rolled out now. I got mine last week, but it may take another week or so for it to be available everywhere. Your box should update automatically. Having written that, I started scanning for it manually as soon as I heard it was becoming available, and that is how I got it - after four days of being told that the download had failed or the software was up to date.

When the planned update was first announced, months ago, it mentioned that it would enable three channels to be recorded at once as long as one of them was an internet channel. This appears to have happened. The other night, I was recording two programmes on two different multiplexes, but I was still able to watch (and therefore record) an internet channel. Previously, I had only been able to watch a third programme if if was on the same multiplex as one of the channels being recorded.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At last, finally some real movement for the customers.

I'm sure David is waiting for the scathing attack.

Credit where it is due, some movement.

I have dragged my old box out, updated and yes youview is alive and kicking very well.

I don't do the Talk Talk bit on it anymore but it does the rest like an old friend.

The old Tiscali box I used to have is BACK.

Two years to stand still..................................
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't waiting for a scathing attack, Egg. I was content to wait for the update and you were not. Simple as that. Each to his own. For the record, I am quite happy with my YV box now. It is significantly slicker than it was and the internet channels are much more reliable than they were, and recordable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyway, having checked it's working ok, I've donated it to a local family who have not been having such a great time of things of late.
    Seems a fitting way for me to say goodbye to it.:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That was a nice gesture.
  • AmaraAmara Posts: 5,376
    Forum Member
    Still can't record any of the Sky channels here. Box is as useless as ever wish I had never agreed to have the damn thing.
    Forum Member
    Amara wrote: »
    Still can't record any of the Sky channels here. Box is as useless as ever wish I had never agreed to have the damn thing.

Update tried again this morning and can record the internet channels. Doesn't appear to serial link though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The serial link should still work.
    Forum Member
    The serial link should still work.

Yes after yet another reboot it does work however as I type the boost channels are again saying not available so I feel yet another box reboot coming on. This You View might be cheaper but its in a different league to Sky. I can honestly say I am sick to the teeth of the slow useless box and that's after I forked out for fibre broadband. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You shouldn't be having that sort of trouble. The box might be faulty. It might be worth getting it checked. If it is, they should replace it.
  • John DoughJohn Dough Posts: 146,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I now seem to have gained the ability to record 'internet channels' since I last checked on Monday, the 'set reminders' facility is now working again as well.^_^