Options

Local TV test transmission today

Comments

• Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I picked it up once before so should be able to get it now. May need to check the wires and all that technical stuff now. Durham area should be able to get it anyway.
  • Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,949
    Forum Member
    Well I picked it up once before so should be able to get it now. May need to check the wires and all that technical stuff now. Durham area should be able to get it anyway.

Coming through clear as a bell here (just checked) on LCN 8 and I live in North Yorkshire and my aerial is aimed at Bilsdale! Nonetheless I get a lock on Ch 56 from Pontop Pike and although Quality is only 1 or 2 as against 9 or 10 for Bilsdale channels the picture is clear without any artefacts.

Are you Bilsdale (sounds like you might be) or Pontop Pike? I have a pretty big aerial it should be noted.
  • Options
    HertzHertz Posts: 3,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume the test transmissions aren't on now, I have retuned and Tyne and Wear hasn't come on.

Could possibly be due to conditions.

Large high pressure all this week so Wednesday may not a great day to do a national retune
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hertz wrote: »
    Could possibly be due to conditions.

Large high pressure all this week so Wednesday may not a great day to do a national retune

All of the national channels are fine, Just the local mux that I can't pick up.
  • Options
    mattybmattyb Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Made In Tyne and Wear on Bilsdale? So are we getting two local channels in Teesside then, or have they scrapped plans for a Teesside channel since funding for these channels were put on hold?
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    Funding for these channels has not been put on hold.

Made in Tyne and Wear launches this autumn on Freeview. Made in Teesside will follow in due course. Two petals to beam the local TV multiplex from Bilsdale will be brought into service first (Teesside and York petals).

The transmission parameters for the local TV multiplex has been set to make the most of their low power allocation from transmitters, leading to out of area reception described above. One of the few areas where localised reception of two local TV channels may well be possible in the future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mattyb wrote: »
    Made In Tyne and Wear on Bilsdale? So are we getting two local channels in Teesside then, or have they scrapped plans for a Teesside channel since funding for these channels were put on hold?

Made in Tyne and Wear is not on Bilsdale. It's local MUX on Ch 24 has not been activated yet.

The point I was making is that my aerial pulls in a clear signal from the local MUX on Pontop Pike Ch 56 (including Made in Tyne and Wear) even though the aerial is pointed in the opposite direction towards Bilsdale.

Possibly hyperstarsponge also has an aerial pointed at Bilsdale and the difficulty arises from the fact that the signal from Pontop Pike is not strong and therefore it can be a thin line between perfect reception and no reception.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually I won't mind getting both channels, I wait until the high pressure goes before trying again. A bit weird as the Digital UK coverage checker here says I should get it: http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/main/display/detailed/DH1+5LH/NA/0/nj1nqivuorn2mg2lcdk3bfc260
  • Options
    ian001ian001 Posts: 1,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Notts TV's programmes are now available on catch-up if anyone's interested to see what the output is like;

http://nottstv.com/videos
  • Options
    PrestonianPrestonian Posts: 231
    Forum Member
    Still no sign of tests in Blackpool/Preston - any info on when they are expected to start?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Prestonian wrote: »
    Still no sign of tests in Blackpool/Preston - any info on when they are expected to start?

Best I can offer is before 25 February 2015 which is the date by which the station must launch under the licence terms.
  • Options
    ozsatozsat Posts: 5,745
    Forum Member
    Anyone any idea when Oxford should start DTT tests? local channel is due to launch on 5 Nov
  • Options
    Dean LambertDean Lambert Posts: 1,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Still no sign of Sheffield Live TV and that is apparently launching on 23rd September
  • Options
    ozsatozsat Posts: 5,745
    Forum Member
    That's Oxford is expected to be on cable and Freeview - I wonder if they can launch on cable if Freeview is not ready?

It could be they did some quick tests and all was OK - so will not be seen again until launch.
  • Options
    chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    Sheffield and Oxford have both had coverage enhancements agreed, which has delayed the implementation of the local mux for those areas. Be patient!
  • Options
    StrathclydeStrathclyde Posts: 2,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what's happened to Latest TV? It announced it was starting Aug28, which came and went..

It's another licensee that is almost out of time to meet its launch commitment...in theory, TODAY is its licence deadline for launching.

In fact, the various obvious sources of current info on LocalTV launches (Comux, Freeview, localtv.org.uk...., seem to have all but given up on communication.

Even Comux's website (which SHOULD know, since they are driving the technology) is woefully out of date, and doesn't even recognise that Ed Hall is no longer with the business.

We all know that the early starts (eg LondonLive) are in deep trouble, but it's almost sounding like everyone's given up.
  • Options
    chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    what's happened to Latest TV? It announced it was starting Aug28, which came and went..

Erm, it launched on that day.
    In fact, the various obvious sources of current info on LocalTV launches (Comux, Freeview, localtv.org.uk...., seem to have all but given up on communication.

Even Comux's website (which SHOULD know, since they are driving the technology) is woefully out of date, and doesn't even recognise that Ed Hall is no longer with the business.

Ed Hall is still with Comux AFAIK. It was Canis he left.
  • Options
    StrathclydeStrathclyde Posts: 2,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »
    Erm, it launched on that day.

I stand corrected. The website carries no schedule, and only offers VoD of some programmes; and the Freeview website doesn't show it as coming or live. So I assumed it hadn't actually launched.
    chrisy wrote: »
    Ed Hall is still with Comux AFAIK. It was Canis he left.

He is no longer a director of Comux. Companies House records say his appointment was terminated on 29 August.
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We all know that the early starts (eg LondonLive) are in deep trouble, but it's almost sounding like everyone's given up.
    We know that ONE of the early starts are in trouble and one more is dead in the water - no surprises for guessing that those are in areas where the incumbents basically cover the same area (London and Birmingham) and one of which is trying to be a full on commercial TV station competing with the likes of Dave, Really, BBC Three etc rather than compete on it's localness credentials.

Estuary TV have been on air for years (via Virgin media) and there is no reason to believe anything has changed for the worse.
    STV Glasgow are now in the Top 20 most viewed commercial channels in their transmission area
    Notts TV have and audience on a par with Capital FM (the heritage ILR station)*
    Not heard much from Mustard TV apart from an early release saying they were doing well.

Try reading the following from the CEO of Made Television... http://www.prolificnorth.co.uk/2014/08/points-north-jamie-conway-ceo-of-made-television/

For Local TV updates (and most things in general nowadays) social media is where it's at - Comux have been very active on their https://twitter.com/Comuxuk

* Although through different measurement systems so not directly comparable.
  • Options
    Lee MorrisLee Morris Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it just me or is Made in Tyne and Wear of air for everyone?, after I did the retune on 1st September I picked it up on channel 8 and it was broadcasting a rolling loop although I guess not actually out of Made's studios in Newcastle but out of Comex headquarters.

But I checked yesterday and again just now only to see the no signal message flashing up, if it is off for others I wonder if it is a sign that if as in the case of others it launches on 22nd September we will see actual test transmissions starting on Monday?.
  • Options
    eladkseeladkse Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lee Morris wrote: »
    But I checked yesterday and again just now only to see the no signal message flashing up, if it is off for others I wonder if it is a sign that if as in the case of others it launches on 22nd September we will see actual test transmissions starting on Monday?.

There are no local TV channels due to launch on 22 September. Sheffield is launching on 23 September, and Belfast on 29 September. The only channels that are currently 'on air' that have not announced dates are Liverpool (Bay TV), Portsmouth (That's Solent) and Newcastle (Made in T&W).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lee Morris wrote: »
    Is it just me or is Made in Tyne and Wear of air for everyone?, after I did the retune on 1st September I picked it up on channel 8 and it was broadcasting a rolling loop although I guess not actually out of Made's studios in Newcastle but out of Comex headquarters.

I've just checked and the promo loop is definitely there for Made in Tyne & Wear. Under its licence terms it can't begin broadcasting before 15 Oct (the official licence commencement date) and has to be on air by 3 Dec (the must launch by date under the licence terms).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ofcom update on local TV in the UK

http://media.ofcom.org.uk/news/2014/local-tv-progress/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ofcom has today rejected London Live's proposals to radically reduce its commitments to local content - all of them.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/sep/16/london-live-licence-change-rejected-ofcom
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radiomike wrote: »
    Ofcom has today rejected London Live's proposals to radically reduce its commitments to local content - all of them.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/sep/16/london-live-licence-change-rejected-ofcom

London Live reminded me of ITV with that appeal.