Options

Scottish independence: let's have an honest debate (P3)

Comments

• Options
    rwouldrwould Posts: 5,260
    Forum Member
    davzer wrote: »
    How is rUK going to unilaterally change the EU trade rules?

Unless fo course you are suggesting rUK will be out of the EU.
    Simple. By blocking the ratification of any trade agreement with Scotland.

But there is NO NEED for it to come to this. This only applies if Scotland tries to wield knife in the negotiations compared to the gun that the UK would be holding.
  • Options
    davzerdavzer Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rwould wrote: »
    Never mind what the impact on the Scottish economy would be of something such as the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill if it was nationalised (and still having to pay the costs of nationalisation).

Try getting a sovereign nation into a foreign court.

There is this thing called state immunity.
  • Options
    thmsthms Posts: 61,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.scotlandfoodanddrink.org/about-us/our-vision-mission-and-strategy.aspx

"Our mission is to position Scotland among the world's top 3 producers of premium food and drink products and generate £16.5 billion per annum for our industry by 2017."
  • Options
    JT2060JT2060 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    Scotland has said it will pay its share for a fair share.

Just to clarify that you expect both rUK and Scotland to be in the EU yes?

As for a trade agreement, perhaps you can outline using some links to WTC and the EU as to how Scotland would need UK support for a trade agreement while both were in the EU.

Posted from earlier.

The acquis in the area of economic and monetary policy contains specific rules requiring the independence of central banks in Member States,

You do not need our support at all, just comply to the rules of the union you desire to join
  • Options
    fermynfermyn Posts: 2,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eying Scotland, Spain Catalans seek secession vote
    Posted: Sep 11, 2014 11:47 AM BST
    Updated: Sep 11, 2014 9:48 PM BST

By JOSEPH WILSON and ALAN CLENDENNING
    Associated Press
    BARCELONA, Spain (AP) - Hundreds of thousands of Catalans energized by Scotland's upcoming independence referendum protested on Thursday for a secession vote aimed at carving out a new Mediterranean nation in what is now northeastern Spain.

The events illustrated how the Scottish vote in just one week is captivating breakaway minded Europeans in several countries.

http://www.wncn.com/story/26504991/eying-scotland-spain-catalans-seek-secession-vote

One reason why iScotland might not be accepted into the EU in the short/medium term....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They fact is though that Scotland won't be the EU

that's not a fact
  • Options
    delegate zerodelegate zero Posts: 2,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fermyn wrote: »
    Eying Scotland, Spain Catalans seek secession vote
    Posted: Sep 11, 2014 11:47 AM BST
    Updated: Sep 11, 2014 9:48 PM BST

By JOSEPH WILSON and ALAN CLENDENNING
    Associated Press
    BARCELONA, Spain (AP) - Hundreds of thousands of Catalans energized by Scotland's upcoming independence referendum protested on Thursday for a secession vote aimed at carving out a new Mediterranean nation in what is now northeastern Spain.

The events illustrated how the Scottish vote in just one week is captivating breakaway minded Europeans in several countries.

http://www.wncn.com/story/26504991/eying-scotland-spain-catalans-seek-secession-vote

One reason why iScotland might not be accepted into the EU in the short/medium term....
    Madrid wont consent to a referendum, so a consented referendum isnt a precedence for them
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rwould wrote: »
    Simple. By blocking the ratification of any trade agreement with Scotland.

But there is NO NEED for it to come to this. This only applies if Scotland tries to wield knife in the negotiations compared to the gun that the UK would be holding.

What trade agreement would this be? As both will be in the EU they operate in a single market. The UK has zero power as there are no seperate trade agreements between EU countries. Further, at the WTO UK is represented by the EU.

https://www.gov.uk/government/policies/reducing-barriers-to-international-free-trade--3/supporting-pages/international-trade-agreements

The UK has a shared import/export policy with other European Union (EU) countries. This means EU countries work together to negotiate trade agreements with non-EU countries.

This arrangement is part of the Common Commercial Policy – an agreement where the EU represents all its member states in trade negotiations with non-EU countries.

You really have no idea what you are speaking about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    thms wrote: »
    that's not a fact

YES IT IS.

'The acquis in the area of economic and monetary policy contains specific rules requiring the independence of central banks in Member States.'

My lord, you all live in dreamland.
  • Options
    Devon MilesDevon Miles Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    Just say if Scotland became independent and if all the moons and stars aligned and it did in fact turn out to be the success that Salmond is suggesting.. Do posters think that this would have an effect on rUK, galvanising more votes than there would have been, to opt out of the EU?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They fact is though that Scotland won't be the EU

Yeah, you believe that.

best let the grown ups do the debating eh.

Especially when the head of the EU says the total opposite.

oh dear, some folk really have no idea when to stop digging.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah, you believe that.

best let the grown ups do the debating eh.

Especially when the head of the EU says the total opposite.

oh dear, some folk really have no idea when to stop digging.

So tell me what central bank you have planned?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Scotland has said it will pay its share for a fair share.
    Salmond, Sturgeon, and Swinney have all stated the opposite.

See:
    http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/64124bfa-97cb-11e3-8dc3-00144feab7de.html#axzz3D6wfa8uf
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-28943041
    Just to clarify that you expect both rUK and Scotland to be in the EU yes?
    No. Because I expect Scotland to vote to stay part of the UK.
    As for a trade agreement, perhaps you can outline using some links to WTC and the EU as to how Scotland would need UK support for a trade agreement while both were in the EU.
    Have you even read my earlier posts? This is in the context of Scotland trying to negotiate "no pound no debt". In that situation you will not become a member of the EU as I would anticipate we will block your membership.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just say if Scotland became independent and if all the moons and stars aligned and it did in fact turn out to be the success that Salmond is suggesting.. Do posters think that this would have an effect on rUK, galvanising more votes than there would have been, to opt out of the EU?

If we go our seperate ways I am virtually certain that Scotland will have the most minute part of any discussion in rUK regarding an in out EU vote.

It will be what the London media want.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That's an assumption
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As both will be in the EU they operate in a single market.
    That Scotland from day one of independence will be a EU member state is but one of the many leaps of faith that the Yes campaign relies on to avoid answering any questions as to what happens if all does not go according to their plan or as the No campaign would describe it wishful thinking.
  • Options
    tiggertinytiggertiny Posts: 5,361
    Forum Member
    Thank you Orri, was a bit concerned there, it did sound a bit odd that they wouldn't lend on 'ability to pay', they are businesses after all...

Might I respectfully suggest that if you are concerned as you clearly are then you seek professional advice including from your mortgage company?

Taking advice from posters on this forum is not a good idea. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What trade agreement would this be? As both will be in the EU they operate in a single market. The UK has zero power as there are no seperate trade agreements between EU countries. Further, at the WTO UK is represented by the EU.

https://www.gov.uk/government/policies/reducing-barriers-to-international-free-trade--3/supporting-pages/international-trade-agreements

The UK has a shared import/export policy with other European Union (EU) countries. This means EU countries work together to negotiate trade agreements with non-EU countries.

This arrangement is part of the Common Commercial Policy – an agreement where the EU represents all its member states in trade negotiations with non-EU countries.

You really have no idea what you are speaking about.
    And the agreements have to be centrally ratifiied and can be blocked by countries. I would suggest (as is clear from all of your posts) that you have no idea what you are talking about.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Come on Davzer, you are usually so animated in a discussion, so please answer my question.

What central bank do you have planned to ensure an initial interview into the EU?
  • Options
    saywhatyouseesaywhatyousee Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiggertiny wrote: »
    Might I respectfully suggest that if you are concerned as you clearly are then you seek professional advice including from your mortgage company?

Taking advice from posters on this forum is not a good idea. ;-)

Thanks Tigger, I am actually waiting for my IFA to come back off his hols next week so I can ask him, oh, about 50 questions - I hope he's had a relaxing break....:)
  • Options
    nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    Then you have multinational companies like Santander (Spanish) who set up companies in the UK to sell mortgages etc etc.

can't seem to remember much outcry about that.

Yet another non story.
    Santander UK is a UK company with UK based directors. Any mortgages secured against Scottish property would have to be hived off to a Scottish subsidiary or sold to a Scottish company.

Does ANY UK bank allow mortgages secured against foreign property? If it did there would a danger of people shopping around worldwide for the cheapest mortgage. Overnight the mortgage industries of the most expensive countries would be destroyed,
  • Options
    fermynfermyn Posts: 2,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/day-of-reckoning-post-yes-vote-says-jim-sillars-1-3539754
    .Scottish independence: FORMER SNP deputy leader Jim Sillars has claimed there will be a “day of reckoning” for major Scottish employers such as Royal Bank of Scotland and Standard Life after a Yes vote.

So, are their true colours are showing at last?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anyway, time to go home for the weekend. All I ask of the Scots out there is to think about whether the Union has been good for Scotland or bad over the last 300 years. Vote Yes because you love the idea of not being part of the UK. Not because Scotland will be financially stronger, politically stronger, more socially conscious, have better politicians. All of that is probably false. But if you feel stifled and frustrated when people say you are British rather than Scottish then vote Yes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Davzer, you are letting me down. SNP head office must be searching its databases for a reply.

There isn't one Davzer. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member

I think this is part of the 'make oil companies bend at the knee in front of us' speech. Never, ever let politicians talk business, they know nothing about it.