The Tennis Thread (Part 27)

Comments

• anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    His tweet reads :

Huge day for Scotland today! no campaign negativity last few days totally swayed my view on it. excited to see the outcome. lets do this!

So he didn't actually say if he was voting yes or no.
  • smudesmude Posts: 17,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    His tweet reads :

Huge day for Scotland today! no campaign negativity last few days totally swayed my view on it. excited to see the outcome. lets do this!

So he didn't actually say if he was voting yes or no.
    I think we can assume it would be yes if he had a vote but as he lives in London I assume he doesn't have a vote.
  • anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    smude wrote: »
    I think we can assume it would be yes if he had a vote but as he lives in London I assume he doesn't have a vote.

I don't think we can assume that at all. It's just people jumping to the wrong conclusions as per usual. He's a Scottish citizen so he can still vote.
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyway, back to tennis, looks like Li Na is going to announce her retirement. Really quite odd the start of the year it looked like she was going to win a fair few more slams, now it looks to be over.:(
  • lyn2lyn2 Posts: 2,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think we can assume that at all. It's just people jumping to the wrong conclusions as per usual. He's a Scottish citizen so he can still vote.

Thought you had to be a British citizen residing in Scotland. :confused:
  • CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    smude wrote: »
    I am Andy's biggest fan but already there are loads of comments about this and he seems to be getting far more flack than it should merit. Of course he is a proud Scot and I applaud him for that.

Haha I seriously doubt he gives even the slightest toss.

He's a tennis player, not a politician looking for future votes or whatever.

It's not his job to be "liked" or to impress anyone, it's to play tennis.

If only they handed out slams to the most "popular" players
  • CGG_12CGG_12 Posts: 7,483
    Forum Member
    Anyway, back to tennis, looks like Li Na is going to announce her retirement. Really quite odd the start of the year it looked like she was going to win a fair few more slams, now it looks to be over.:(

Dead right, all this is more suited to the politics forum or twitter or whatever or better still nowhere at all.

The fact it's even getting coverage at all is sad, I certainly won't be saying any more on it myself!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course Andy's entitled to his opinion but in the position he's in I think he should have kept quiet and fear he may regret this tweet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CGG_12 wrote: »
    Haha I seriously doubt he gives even the slightest toss.

He's a tennis player, not a politician looking for future votes or whatever.

It's not his job to be "liked" or to impress anyone, it's to play tennis.

If only they handed out slams to the most "popular" players

Hilarious post coming from you, after you were banging on about him being so popular in the US last month. :p
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Disappointing from Andy. Bit of a kick in the teeth for his English fans who have defended him over the years from anti-Scottish comments.
  • simonl87simonl87 Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bosox wrote: »
    Disappointing from Andy. Bit of a kick in the teeth for his English fans who have defended him over the years from anti-Scottish comments.

Only those fans stupid enough to believe voting yes makes you anti English.
  • BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh no li na, one of my favourite players on the wta side
  • KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    It's not something that'll change my opinion of him, but I think staying neutral would have been wiser. After all if NO wins he'll then have to carry on competing for GB, whilst clearly stating he'd prefer to be competing for Scotland. Will make Press comferences interesting. All just a silly distraction from tennis, I'd have thought.

I agree. It's irrelevant in many ways but you'd agree that it would be rather silly for people to trot out the Union flags on Centre Court when he's playing now?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think if he'd worded it like his brother he would have had a more favourable response.

@jamie_murray
    Love UK..love the Royals..but it's time for Scotland to stand on its own 2 feet and control their own destiny.
  • amelia_leeamelia_lee Posts: 11,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not something that'll change my opinion of him, but I think staying neutral would have been wiser. After all if NO wins he'll then have to carry on competing for GB, whilst clearly stating he'd prefer to be competing for Scotland. Will make Press comferences interesting. All just a silly distraction from tennis, I'd have thought.

I don't mind Andy as a person, I think he's human and flawed and I like how much he loves his dogs.
    I don't enjoy his tennis personally, nor his on court demeanour so I'm not a fan really.

I think for a variety of reasons he shouldn't of voiced this.
    His PR team and him have had to work very hard to undo a small and silly comment about football to bring people around.
    Being a player it is much easier to not be controversial, you don't have to answer those questions every single day.
    Also you are more marketable the more neutral you are and the more money you make from sponsorship. Look at Federer, the most marketable player with the biggest deals in huge companies, his agent said about Novak that he felt he was too Serbian and it sometimes puts off sponsors. I don't think this will do Murray any favours.
  • Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,574
    Forum Member
    Andy's entitled to his opinion, even if I don't agree with what he appears to be saying.

He's previously said that he doesn't think that Scotland will for independence, so him making an apparent commitment the opposite way is somewhat brave.

Seeing as doesn't currently reside in Scotland he doesn't have a vote, so his opinion can't be expressed in the ballot box.

I don't think this will make people dislike him any more than the currently do, those that don't like him haven't really changed their views.
    Forum Member
    As for the other news about Li Na, it will be a shame to see her retire.
  • nazzacnazzac Posts: 20
    Forum Member
    I have never been a fan of Murray's, but that is more to do with his tennis rather than his personality.
    Forum Member
    In other, other news GB have drawn USA in first round of next year's Davis Cup.

Can we pull off another win?
  • basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    Davis Cup News- GB to play the USA at home.
    Don't think Murray playing would be the best idea if it's a a yes or a no but then who else will play and stand a decent chance of success against Isner for example.
  • amelia_leeamelia_lee Posts: 11,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy's entitled to his opinion, even if I don't agree with what he appears to be saying.

He's previously said that he doesn't think that Scotland will for independence, so him making an apparent commitment the opposite way is somewhat brave.

Seeing as doesn't currently reside in Scotland he doesn't have a vote, so his opinion can't be expressed in the ballot box.

I don't think this will make people dislike him any more than the currently do, those that don't like him haven't really changed their views

I have to disagree with you re the bolded bit.

Having read a lot of comments about this there are many people who said they cheered for him but will no longer.
    A lot of people only support him for being British, there's no two ways about it. Do you think he would of had the whole of centre court for him had he been any other nationality? He's not popular in the US or anywhere else.
    Many people turn out to cheer on the British, I don't personally, I think of tennis as above nationality and just those players who appeal, but the great majority of Murray's support comes from those who just want to see a British person win.
  • Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He's got every right to express his opinion, but I think you've hit the nail on the head here. Whilst it's unlikely that it'll turn people against him, it's hardly going to help endear people to him either is it? Credit to him for not caring what others think though.

Hope the rumours about Li Na retiring aren't true, but it looks like they are. A shame really, I think she's got one more slam in her.
  • basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    He's got every right to express his opinion, but I think you've hit the nail on the head here. Whilst it's unlikely that it'll turn people against him, it's hardly going to help endear people to him either is it? Credit to him for not caring what others think though.

Hope the rumours about Li Na retiring aren't true, but it looks like they are. A shame really, I think she's got one more slam in her.
    Could Li Na be pregnant or at least wanting to try for a baby. She's been married a while.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    In other, other news GB have drawn USA in first round of next year's Davis Cup.

Can we pull off another win?

Not a team to fear. Is the Scotsman eligible to play for us?
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Not a team to fear. Is the Scotsman eligible to play for us?

Whatever happens, he can play next year, they won't be officially indepentent until March 2016, I think.

Mind you if we're in the World group, how humiliated would we be the year after.
This discussion has been closed.