Options

Hours in training

missfrankiecatmissfrankiecat Posts: 8,388
Forum Member
Anyone else fascinated by the training hours running total - and how little it seems to effect the standard of their dancing? Ali and Brian - looking very good at QS - have done over 50 hours more than Phil Tufnell. Who didn't look too bad either.
Will extensive training stand the more industrious couples in better stead later on or burn them out early?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,542
    Forum Member
    On the whole I think it makes a difference but there are two cases that I can remember from series 4 that negate it.

Jan and Anton seemed to do a lot more training than everyone else for the first few weeks but that didn't make a noticeable difference really.

On the other hand, Louisa and Vincent got the first 10 and did probably the least amount of training ever that week, and for the rest of that series seemed to train a lot less than everyone else.
  • Options
    QuizmikeQuizmike Posts: 5,972
    Forum Member
    On the whole I think it makes a difference but there are two cases that I can remember from series 4 that negate it.

Jan and Anton seemed to do a lot more training than everyone else for the first few weeks but that didn't make a noticeable difference really.

On the other hand, Louisa and Vincent got the first 10 and did probably the least amount of training ever that week, and for the rest of that series seemed to train a lot less than everyone else.

L&V were always behind in the training totals as Louisa was on holiday for the first two weeks of training.

ETA And of course Vincent got injured in Week 2 (jive week) so they missed five days of training.
  • Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hours spent in the training rooms don't necessarily mean anything.

Some people can spend 2-3 hours training, and work so hard they get more done than other people who spend 6-7 hours in the training rooms. It really is a case of quality rather than quantity.
  • Options
    rickster1995rickster1995 Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member
    i wonder who trained the most out of every contestant ever. it would obviously be somone from series 6 because they had two extra weeks than any other
  • Options
    Mrs FMrs F Posts: 8,232
    Forum Member
    quick send for quizmike who will have the answers:D
  • Options
    kp2nikp2ni Posts: 1,641
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quizmike wrote: »
    L&V were always behind in the training totals as Louisa was on holiday for the first two weeks of training.

ETA And of course Vincent got injured in Week 2 (jive week) so they missed five days of training.

I remember Louisa said that if she practice too much she would become over rehearsed and would lose the feel of the dance therefore becoming mechanical.

Katya said that Phil picks up the routine quickly (QS in 2 1/2 hrs) so he would end up having less training than Zoe who has trouble learning/remembering the routines. Other like Ricky has work commitments which eats into their rehearsal time.
  • Options
    QuizmikeQuizmike Posts: 5,972
    Forum Member
    Mrs F wrote: »
    quick send for quizmike who will have the answers:D

Here's the thing...

I don't know :)

I've not kept a track of the training hours over the years. Tried a quick few googles and the first results were all to this thread! So it looks like nobody has kept a track.

A plea to anyone who actually has the answers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,542
    Forum Member
    The thing I remember is that they only give you the training figures from time to time, and not always for all the couples, so they'd be quite hard to keep track of it anyone was keeping count.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm pretty sure Mark and Karen trained the most during series 4 (I recall Tess mentioning it just before their showdance but I don't know why I still remember that!)and it clearly didn't do them any harm.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it would be difficult to analyse even if we did have precise figures, for two main reasons:

1) Training in this context is basically finding time to practise a set routine. The amount a celebrity already 'gets' what they have to do (not just in terms of steps, but styling, performance etc) will invariably affect the amount of this type of practice they need to do.

The example of, say, Louisa and Jan illustrates this perfectly - Louisa, as a stage school bunny and a slim, fit young lass would have had a great headstart on Jan in dance performance terms.

2) In sport, training is designed to work on particular issues you encounter during the execution of your event. Some celebs may actually do this, some may not have got the idea - it's how that training time is used that is a factor, as well as how much of it is undergone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kaycee wrote: »
    Hours spent in the training rooms don't necessarily mean anything.

Some people can spend 2-3 hours training, and work so hard they get more done than other people who spend 6-7 hours in the training rooms. It really is a case of quality rather than quantity.

I agree with you completely on this. The quality of the coaching plays a significant part too. Many good sports coaches operate on the theory that once you are starting to show signs of fatigue you should call it a day and start again when you are refreshed, both physically and mentally.
  • Options
    Force TenForce Ten Posts: 7,988
    Forum Member
    Matthew and Alesha trained by far the most in Series 5.:)
  • Options
    Jan2555*GG*Jan2555*GG* Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Force Ten wrote: »
    Matthew and Alesha trained by far the most in Series 5.:)

I think some times they can over do it. I am pretty sure (if my memory serves me right) that Matthew actually had to call a halt to it or at least cut it back because she was just going round in circles (mentally not physically)

There is also the thorny question about couples that train less than others because they have work aswell as SCD when some couples dont.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think some times they can over do it. I am pretty sure (if my memory serves me right) that Matthew actually had to call a halt to it or at least cut it back because she was just going round in circles (mentally not physically)

There is also the thorny question about couples that train less than others because they have work aswell as SCD when some couples dont.

Indeed and the amount of time they can commit will probably vary from week to week so if they do loads one week it may be partly to catch up for the week after if the celeb is going to be pushed for time.