Options

Canned Tomatoes

henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
Forum Member
✭✭✭
KTC branded Canned Chopped and Plum Tomatoes are in Tesco for 4 for £1 400g each . They are made in Italy.

They come shrink wrapped in two cartons of 12 so in a package of 24 for £6

Expiry date is February 2015

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KTC branded Canned Chopped and Plum Tomatoes are in Tesco for 4 for £1 400g each . They are made in Italy.

They are god awful aswell, tasteless and watery. No thanks
  • Options
    birdsongbirdsong Posts: 2,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm sorry, but is there a point to this post other than an advert for Tesco?
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    What's wrong with advertising offers that people might be interested in?
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Given the choice I would only ever use certified (DOP) San Marzano tinned tomatoes. They are a bugger to get hold of though, and expensive. Napolina are my choice for generally available tinned toms.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Given the choice I would only ever use certified (DOP) San Marzano tinned tomatoes. They are a bugger to get hold of though, and expensive. Napolina are my choice for generally available tinned toms.
    Tesco used to.
    I even started a thread about it :D
    http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1790299

Not sure if they still stock them
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    birdsong wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but is there a point to this post other than an advert for Tesco?

I very seldom would buy things from Tesco and it usually goes against the grain. I occasionally buy milk from them and spotted these tomatoes. I have never seen canned tomatoes cheaper.

That's all I bought from Tesco on buying the tomatoes as most stuff in Tesco is on fake half of doubled price. I tend to trust Lidl and Aldi much more than Tesco in terms of honest pricing.

These tomatoes are fine and as good as the branded Napolina etc. Probably canned in the same place.

Compare them side by side.

They are just tomatoes.

They are fine for pizzas, curries etc.
  • Options
    Rab64Rab64 Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot eat tinned tomatoes. Do not taste anything like fresh tomatoes
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rab64 wrote: »
    I cannot eat tinned tomatoes. Do not taste anything like fresh tomatoes
    They're not supposed to :D
    They have a taste all of their own (probably due to being overloaded with sugar), but are useful for certain dishes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    They're not supposed to :D
    They have a taste all of their own (probably due to being overloaded with sugar), but are useful for certain dishes.

Yes. They are a different beast altogether. I only have them cooked in a curry, soup etc.

And they don't go off in a hurry as do fresh tomatoes which I eat raw.

I must check the sugar content though but raw tomatoes would also contain sugar and so wouldn't be able to tell if sugar has been added.
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use the KTC tinned tomatoes. They seem to be permanently on offer in Asda at 3 for £1 which isn't as good as the Tesco offer I know, but I don't shop in Tesco.

I used to think Napolina were a cut above the rest but then found out they are actually Princes which isn't a premium brand so I don't pay the extra for those any more.

I actually like tinned tomatoes whether they're squished up in a bacon sandwich (don't knock it until you've tried it!), on a fry up or on toast.

http://www.princesgroup.com/brands/napolina/
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Steady Henry!
    All those tomatoes can give you gout.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steady Henry!

I know I know. But I would rather give up on everything else than tomatoes. Have to pace myself of course - with lots of water.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know I know. But I would rather give up on everything else than tomatoes. Have to pace myself of course - with lots of water.

Don't overload your bladder :)
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steady Henry!
    I didn't know about that and I occasionally suffer from gout, but after looking it up, it seems that tinned tomatoes are far less likely to affect you than fresh ones.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    I didn't know about that and I occasionally suffer from gout, but after looking it up, it seems that tinned tomatoes are far less likely to affect you than fresh ones.

I was teasing Henry about a different thread ;-)

On a "serious" note I've heard many telly chefs endorse the use of good quality tinned tomatoes rather than bland, all year round, supermarket tomatoes.
    For me it depends on whether I want to enjoy a tomato as a main ingredient of a meal or whether it's just part of a bolognaise/ragu/ chilli or tomato based curry sauce.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    For me, tinned tomatoes, along with baked beans are one of those items were you really do get what you pay for. For this reason I only tend to use napolina or cirio, they are much more substantial and richer than ktc.
  • Options
    gmphmacgmphmac Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aldi's chopped tomatoes in juice are lovely. I cook with them regularly, and they certainly don't have a cheap taste or consistency.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since becoming allergic to raw tomatoes I have become very fond of tinned tomatoes they are so safe as they are cooked to death. So my tomatoes on toast is back on the menu and very nice it is too.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is a good price. We get ours either 3 for £1 or 4 for £1.50 depending on where we shop. I use them in casseroles or chili.

Not sure about the person who said they were 'overloaded with sugar'. :confused: The ingredients in mine are tomatoes, tomato juice, and citric acid. I'm sure tomatoes have natural sugars in them, whether canned or fresh.