Options

Would you emigrate?

Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
Forum Member
✭✭✭
If you were offered a promotion, or a new and better job overseas, would you take it?

Where would you like to go if you could, and where would you steer clear of?

Comments

• Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I would.

I'd love to move to a developing country and work there helping with healthcare, education etc.

I'd love to take my kids with me while they're young, but I'll probably wait until they've grown up and moved out or at least until they're old enough to make an informed decision about coming with me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrincessTT wrote: »
    Yes I would.

I'd love to move to a developing country and work there helping with healthcare, education etc.

I'd love to take my kids with me while they're young, but I'll probably wait until they've grown up and moved out or at least until they're old enough to make an informed decision about coming with me.

Bless you PrincessTT! That's lovely.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite a few European countries appeal to me. Italy and France to name just two. Out of Europe I think it would be either New Zealand or Canada.
  • Options
    deano0501deano0501 Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Australia.

Been lucky enough to have visited twice. Love the place. I already have family over there, so wouldn't necessarily be alone. I would miss family here too obviously, but they're all able to fly so there'd be nothing to stop them visiting or me coming back.
    I'd choose to live in Melbourne (or more likely its surrounding suburbs; or anywhere all the way down the peninsula) if possible as it's the area I know best.
    Wasn't overly keen on Sydney (nice to visit, but couldn't see myself living there) Victoria has some spectacular beaches too; if you know where to look.
  • Options
    Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My step dad had a possible offer of work in Canada and I was asked to go with them. I said no as I wouldn't want to take my daughter away from her father and his side of the family. In the end up my parents decided not to go as they didn't want to leave the family.
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We will be. Once my children are done with University we will move back to Denmark.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sure. Continental Europe, maybe, but only if I learned the language first. Certain parts of the US too.

I enjoyed traveling round NZ and Oz but have the feeling they'd bore me in the long term. Even their 'big' cities felt small.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think so permanently, maybe just for a year or so.

It'd have to be somewhere that speaks English because I'm awful with foreign languages and I wouldn't live in America because their gun crime scares the life out of me, so my options would be limited.

I love where I live now anyway. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Mark1974 wrote: »
    Where would you like to go if you could,

Switzerland
    Norway
    Denmark
    Singapore
    New Zealand
    Netherlands
    Canada
    Hong Kong
    Ireland
    Austria
    Belgium
    Germany
    Florida
    Oregon
    Washington
    Wyoming
    Maine
    Vermont
    New Hampshire
    Massachusetts
    Connecticut
    Virginia
    Maryland
    and where would you steer clear of?

Everywhere else.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Yes, my employers have relocated me to Italy in the autumn.

Perfect chance for me to learn Italian. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. My family is here and I wouldn't want to leave. Always lived near them (like a couple of streets away or a 5 minute or so drive). Wouldn't want to be further.
  • Options
    malpascmalpasc Posts: 9,641
    Forum Member
    It would depend on where.

Most western/southern/northern European countries would appeal.

I'm not sure I'd want to move too much farther afield as I'd like to be able to see friends and family relatively easily - just a few hours flight away max.
  • Options
    TheGreatKatsbyTheGreatKatsby Posts: 461
    Forum Member
    Yes, I'd definitely emigrate if given the chance. I'd miss family and friends but they could visit/Skype etc.

I'd like to go to France, Italy, Australia, Canada or New Zealand.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I love my life here in the UK. Unless it was for a silly amount of money meaning I could retire and return within a few years, I would stay put. My family is too important to me and I want my parents and in-laws to be a major part of my future children's lives.
  • Options
    KapellmeisterKapellmeister Posts: 41,322
    Forum Member
    Quite a few European countries appeal to me. Italy and France to name just two. Out of Europe I think it would be either New Zealand or Canada.

France is a hell-hole. Please don't even think of it!

I'd opt for either Canada or New Zealand as well.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I would, Australia, New Zealand or Canada would be my choices,
  • Options
    LuckyyemLuckyyem Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I don't think I could.

My dad moved to Calgary, Canada just over 6yrs ago. His wife is Canadian and she wanted to go home so they went. My dad was really upset about leaving me but we had lots of long talks and I was happy for him, he was diagnosed with Parkinsons the year before he went, I just wanted him to be happy. Since he moved I met and married my husband (he came back for the wedding) and had two daughters. He is now considering coming 'home'. He hates being so far away and not having a good relationship with his grandchildren, although we Skpe all the time and usually fly over once a year. We haven't seen each other this year, and probably won't next year because of the cost, his illness and my illness. I think that's the main reason for him wanting to come back, I miss him so much and would love for him to come home.
  • Options
    AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wanted to move to California but we are too worried about earthquakes.
    Florida was another option but they have sinkholes and too many people with guns ...
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I'd consider it. Only really fancy English-speaking countries, Europe and Japan/South Korea.

Was about 6 months away from emigrating to the USA once as I was married to an American. That fell through when we split up.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would never emigrate, but I had a transfer to overseas four times. I wouldn't accept another for a while, though, because of the kids.

It was fine when they were younger as they could adapt easily. Now the oldest two are 14 and 16 and my job's still chaotic with its working hours, it's essential to give them stability, consistency and a sense of permanence.
  • Options
    JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    id go like a shot.. to new zealand or canada if i could..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    France is a hell-hole. Please don't even think of it!

Seriously?? Why?
  • Options
    HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I could live in Amsterdam or a reasonably sized city in Belgium. Anywhere else the beer wouldn't be good enough.
  • Options
    kyresakyresa Posts: 16,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Southern Germany - Stuttgart maybe :)
    Canada
    Colorado Springs or Virginia Beach (friends in both areas).

that'd do me :)
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a heart beat to New Zealand