Options

Doctor Who 2015 DVD/Blu-Ray Release Schedule

Comments

• Options
    cat666cat666 Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watching The Moonbase DVD and the "Coming Soon" feature is The Underwater Menance. I lol'd.
  • Options
    TheophileTheophile Posts: 2,947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I picked up Delta and The Bannermen and Dreamland today. Now I just need one more serial for the 7th Doctor. :):):)

Also, I am mailing off my first Business Reply Mail card to the BBC Video today. It says simply "Please Release Underwater Menace" on the street address line in bold sharpee. They are postage paid, so it doesn't cost me anything. I will keep mailing in one of these a day until I either run out (I think that I have about a hundred) or until I find out that they are releasing The Underwater Menace on DVD. Please feel free to join me in this endeavor. It may not be much, but it is all that I can think of to do in order to have the sole non-released extant episode released on DVD. :)
  • Options
    tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Theophile wrote: »
    I picked up Delta and The Bannermen and Dreamland today. Now I just need one more serial for the 7th Doctor. :):):)

Also, I am mailing off my first Business Reply Mail card to the BBC Video today. It says simply "Please Release Underwater Menace" on the street address line in bold sharpee. They are postage paid, so it doesn't cost me anything. I will keep mailing in one of these a day until I either run out (I think that I have about a hundred) or until I find out that they are releasing The Underwater Menace on DVD. Please feel free to join me in this endeavor. It may not be much, but it is all that I can think of to do in order to have the sole non-released extant episode released on DVD. :)

The Underwater Menance will be released sometime this year. According to the BBC on the doctorwhonews.net site in December, this is what they said, in an update:

"We hope to release ‘The Underwater Menace’ in 2015. We delayed the release to ensure that our publishing schedule is phased appropriately across the year and the episodes will be animated."

So all is not lost, apparently! :) The two surviving episodes, one of which was on the Lost In Time box set, plus the other one that was found in 2011, should be out sometime with animated episodes.
  • Options
    bennythedipbennythedip Posts: 2,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    The Underwater Menance will be released sometime this year. According to the BBC on the doctorwhonews.net site in December, this is what they said, in an update:

"We hope to release ‘The Underwater Menace’ in 2015. We delayed the release to ensure that our publishing schedule is phased appropriately across the year and the episodes will be animated."

So all is not lost, apparently! :) The two surviving episodes, one of which was on the Lost In Time box set, plus the other one that was found in 2011, should be out sometime with animated episodes.

Since then its actually been pulled from the 2015 schedule. Lets hope what everyone is doing persuades the bbc to change their minds and complete the range.
  • Options
    Evil GeniusEvil Genius Posts: 8,870
    Forum Member
    cat666 wrote: »
    Yeah I pay around £6 per DVD. I refused to buy the DVD's initially after my 30+ VHS collection was rendered null and void. Now the better video quality, extras, and price (50% less than the VHS's cost) make it more than worthwhile to start again. I have all the Hartnell's and am just starting on the Troughton's. Few other Doctor's thrown in where they are part of boxsets. Great ideas for Xmas/Birthday pressies from the family too.

Only a few years ago, a mate of mine sold his entire VHS collection on ebay. Got almost £900 for it. So there are still people out there who do go for the VHS tapes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only a few years ago, a mate of mine sold his entire VHS collection on ebay. Got almost £900 for it. So there are still people out there who do go for the VHS tapes.

Charity shops won't take videos anymore. I help out my local Oxfam shop for a couple of hours a week, and on Monday they received about a dozen VHS's from a well-wisher. The assistant unfortunately had to refuse them. The customer looked bemused and unhappy as he went away with the bag of videos. Plus the weather wasn't all that. It was chucking it down with rain, windy, and feeling a bit chilly.

That's life, that is. Not many people have video players/recorders anymore, as it is easier to use Sky Plus to record your favourite programmes, series linking them so you don't miss a single moment.

With Sky Plus, the video player/recorder is not needed anymore. Also, there is an option with Sky Plus, to keep the recorded programme if you so wish.
  • Options
    chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had two malfunctioning Skyplus boxes in the past, and lost everything that was on them. I don't trust technology. Give me a DVD anyday. As for the release schedule being "phased appropriately across the year": every time I read that comment, it looks more and more like a jumble of random words that don't belong in the same sentence.

Theophile: let us know what you think of Delta. I hated it when it was first shown, when I was a very serious 12yr old. Now, as a silly grown-up, I love it. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had two malfunctioning Skyplus boxes in the past, and lost everything that was on them. I don't trust technology. Give me a DVD anyday. As for the release schedule being "phased appropriately across the year": every time I read that comment, it looks more and more like a jumble of random words that don't belong in the same sentence.

Theophile: let us know what you think of Delta. I hated it when it was first shown, when I was a very serious 12yr old. Now, as a silly grown-up, I love it. :)

Cool beans; I will.

I watched The Infinity Quest today. It was really weird. I kept thinking to myself "Is it cheaper to make animation than to film live action, really?" It was o.k., but The Doctor seemed really stiff in it; I guess that is a by-product of the way in which it was animated.

Man, Moffat has me longing for the Golden Years of RTD, when we had Doctor Who, Torchwood, The Sarah Jane Adventures and (occasionally) animated Doctor Who all running at once and all intertwined. (Also, he wasn't mucking up the lore too badly as Moffat seems hellbent on doing.) Sigh. LOL!
  • Options
    ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    I've had two malfunctioning Skyplus boxes in the past, and lost everything that was on them. I don't trust technology. Give me a DVD anyday.

Yes, I've lost my Sky box several times (once was to upgrade to the TB version, admittedly). While I do store some stuff long term I transfer it to my DVD recorder for anything important.

I still have a VCR for watching my old home recordings and at some point really need to transfer them to DVD.

Or maybe I'll get myself a Blu Ray Recorder and use that. Never know when DVD will become obsolete ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I skipped a good number of Doctor Who VHS in 2009. I couldn't even flog them on eBay. I was fuming and point blank refused to pay the BBC anymore money in DVD sales. I finally relented in 2014 when I realised DVD prices were 50% less than I was paying for the VHSs and that moreoften than not I'd get a host of exciting extras and far better picture quality.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm flying to New York Saturday am, so loaded my tablet with The Macra Terror, The Faceless Ones and Evil of the Daleks. Mostly recons with the 3 proper episodes being ripped from the Lost in Time DVD. Ironically we fly from Heathrow...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm flying to New York Saturday am, so loaded my tablet with The Macra Terror, The Faceless Ones and Evil of the Daleks. Mostly recons with the 3 proper episodes being ripped from the Lost in Time DVD. Ironically we fly from Heathrow...

Get the daleks masterplan recons downloaded. Really impressed with that one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Be careful not to get yourself miniaturised and stored on the back seat of a Ford Zephyr! Also, no matter how hard they try to encourage you, don't write your postcards before you get in the flight.

Good luck my dears ...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get the daleks masterplan recons downloaded. Really impressed with that one.

I'm watching in order, so DMP is done with. I was impressed with the story, other than Feast of Steven.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Shop has "3 for £15" on a wodge of classic DW DVDs. I might top up on the special editions I haven't got. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Shop has "3 for £15" on a wodge of classic DW DVDs. I might top up on the special editions I haven't got. :)

Brilliant if you have not already got them!
  • Options
    Evil GeniusEvil Genius Posts: 8,870
    Forum Member
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    Charity shops won't take videos anymore. I help out my local Oxfam shop for a couple of hours a week, and on Monday they received about a dozen VHS's from a well-wisher. The assistant unfortunately had to refuse them. The customer looked bemused and unhappy as he went away with the bag of videos. Plus the weather wasn't all that. It was chucking it down with rain, windy, and feeling a bit chilly.

That's life, that is. Not many people have video players/recorders anymore, as it is easier to use Sky Plus to record your favourite programmes, series linking them so you don't miss a single moment.

With Sky Plus, the video player/recorder is not needed anymore. Also, there is an option with Sky Plus, to keep the recorded programme if you so wish.

Ah but not everyone has or wants Sky+. Not everyone goes rushing out for the latest thing. There is often a percentage of people who choose not to adopt the latest technology or go 'this far and no further'. Its usually to do with age as well.
  • Options
    The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah but not everyone has or wants Sky+. Not everyone goes rushing out for the latest thing. There is often a percentage of people who choose not to adopt the latest technology or go 'this far and no further'. Its usually to do with age as well.

I agree. I still have a VHS recorder and DVD player. I can also record freeview onto a set box.

I have the oldest Sky box which doesn't allow recording. Sky call up every now and again to offer me 3D, HD, whatever D is the latest technology. I said I was prepared to shift to Sky+ and free of charge but they won't do that unless I get 3D or HD AND pay more on my subscription.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with sky+ is if you cancel your subscription then you lose access to all your recordings so i have just kept my 10 years old box and connected it to a hard drive dvd recorder and burn to disc anything i want to keep.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, we do have something being released here in the US called The Cybermen Set. This makes the release list as follows:

Cybermen Set: UK: ?, US: May 19th
    The Underwater Menace: UK: ?, US: ?
    The Complete 9th Series: UK: ?, US: ?

There seem to be rumors also of a Dalek set at some point. Is the UK also receiving the Cybermen set and, if so, when? :):):)
  • Options
    Sora2311Sora2311 Posts: 2,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the Cyberman boxset a rerelease of the UK Boxset of the same name? I seem to remember they made a few different boxsets including one focused on the Master and they featured a classic story and a NuWho story.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sora2311 wrote: »
    Is the Cyberman boxset a rerelease of the UK Boxset of the same name? I seem to remember they made a few different boxsets including one focused on the Master and they featured a classic story and a NuWho story.

This one has a lot of stuff:

May 19, 2015

Doctor Who: The Cybermen
    (2-disc box set of Cybermen stories: Army of Ghosts / Doomsday starring David Tennant, Closing Time and Nightmare in Silver starring Matt Smith, Dark Water / Death in Heaven starring Peter Capaldi, and Earthshock starring Peter Davison. Also includes a new Cybermen Origins documentary. 6 45-minute-or-more episodes and 4 25-minute episodes. 2 DVDs for $24.95)

That's really good for $25.

This is from the Doctor Who Video FAQ:

http://home.comcast.net/~smanfred/DVD_FAQ.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Where Tegan Jovanka was supposed to start work.

We all know what happened instead.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Some people are set in their ways, and point blank refuse to change, no matter how many times they are asked. It's sad sometimes, really. :(
  • Options
    andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    I'm a bit gutted because I have all the available DVD's now and can only look forward to possible new releases, so when "they" get their fingers out and release Underwater Menace, I will have something to look forward to. Incidently I still have a DVD/VHS combined recorder which I use to transfer old camcorder family videos onto DVD. Dead easy to use and the quality is fine.