If David Tennant would have stayed...

FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
Forum Member
✭✭✭

Comments

• inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is fairly old. I think it's been posted here before.

Another question though, I wonder what Moffat's original plan was had Matt Smith decided to stay on for Series 8?
  • FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is fairly old. I think it's been posted here before.

Another question though, I wonder what Moffat's original plan was had Matt Smith decided to stay on for Series 8?

If Matt would've stayed for Series 8, he would have regenerated in the final episode of the series, the same way Chris regenerated into David, and the rest is history.
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    So basically it would've been series 6 with 10's actual regeneration instead of the tesselector fake out.

Hmmm Moffat don't like to throw away any of his ideas eh
  • DWA9ISDWA9IS Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FIFA1966 wrote: »
    If Matt would've stayed for Series 8, he would have regenerated in the final episode of the series, the same way Chris regenerated into David, and the rest is history.

Or Time of the Doctor could have happened one year later with the regen happening one year later with it!
    The series 8 stories would likely be rearranged slightly to suit Matt.

Last Christmas would likely not have been made!

Also Day of the Doctor and whatever would have been the Christmas Special for 2013 would likely have got put on the Series 8 boxset maybe with Time of!
  • FiregazerFiregazer Posts: 5,888
    Forum Member
    Glad that didn't happen, would've totally ruined 10's Doctor. Luckily 10 was in safe hands with RTD :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Firegazer wrote: »
    Glad that didn't happen, would've totally ruined 10's Doctor. Luckily 10 was in safe hands with RTD :)
    Considering that RTD pretty much ruined 10's Doctor himself with that godawful regeneration, I don't think Moffat could have done much worse.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Considering that RTD pretty much ruined 10's Doctor himself with that godawful regeneration, I don't think Moffat could have done much worse.

Come now! Let's not allow sense or logic spoil another bit of mindless and off topic snide Moffat bashing. Everyone knows The End of Time is a masterpiece of modern drama!

And let's not forget how badly Moffat wrote for the tenth doctor in those disastorous episodes 'Blink' and the Library two parter and the anniversary special! They're some of the most hated episodes ever made!

Oh wait. No they're not. Duh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Come now! Let's not allow sense or logic spoil another bit of mindless and off topic snide Moffat bashing. Everyone knows The End of Time is a masterpiece of modern drama!

And let's not forget how badly Moffat wrote for the tenth doctor in those disastorous episodes 'Blink' and the Library two parter and the anniversary special! They're some of the most hated episodes ever made!

Oh wait. No they're not. Duh.
    Personally, I think RTD and Moffat are both great, if flawed, writers. Both have produced brilliant episodes, while both have produced f*ck ups, and imo the Tenth Doctor's regeneration was RTD's biggest f*ck up.
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally, I think RTD and Moffat are both great, if flawed, writers. Both have produced brilliant episodes, while both have produced f*ck ups, and imo the Tenth Doctor's regeneration was RTD's biggest f*ck up.

I love them both. Like you say. Neither is flawless. But then what writer is? None.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What era is? Heck, what story is? Even the number of stories I give 10/10 in my personal geeky list, and am very strict so aren't many!, aren't "flawless". Just love them to pieces. Unconditionally, you might say.

Pretentious, moi?

Very much enjoyed Tennant, love Wilf and Donna, etc. Never rewatched all of TEOT. It could've been "...so much MORE." IMO. Ah well, worth it for the look of surprise on Eleven's face when he's regenerated. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What era is? Heck, what story is? Even the number of stories I give 10/10 in my personal geeky list, and am very strict so aren't many!, aren't "flawless". Just love them to pieces. Unconditionally, you might say.

Pretentious, moi?

Very much enjoyed Tennant, love Wilf and Donna, etc. Never rewatched all of TEOT. It could've been "...so much MORE." IMO. Ah well, worth it for the look of surprise on Eleven's face when he's regenerated. :)
    The only Who-related thing I've ever given a solid 10/10 ''flawless'' is Torchwood:Children of Earth. IMO that story was the whoniverse at it's absolute finest. Nothing before or since has overtaken it's rating for me and I'm starting to think nothing ever will.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    i know there is an awfull lot of hate for david tennants regeneration. i have to say ive been watching dr who since i was 5yrs old im now nearly 50 and tennants regeneration is the only one ive cried at. the tears were streaming down my cheeks as he said I DONT WANNA GO.
  • LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    i know there is an awfull lot of hate for david tennants regeneration. i have to say ive been watching dr who since i was 5yrs old im now nearly 50 and tennants regeneration is the only one ive cried at. the tears were streaming down my cheeks as he said I DONT WANNA GO.

Wasnt just me then :cry:
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never had a problem with it. DT is a good actor and was great as 10. It was a normal reaction to not want to die and regenerate. Each actor brings their own qualities to the doctor. We should forgive the odd bad episode and concentrate on the positive. Would love to see 10 again one day. DT has said it will probably be the diamond 60th anniversary November 22nd 2023.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Tenth Doctor's regeneration has always rubbed me off the wrong way. I've always considered it dragged out, self indulgent, and ultimately, unnecessary. Surely, if the actor has done a great job as the Doctor (which Tennant had) then surely the viewers would be sad to see him go anyway. We didn't need the show to make us sad to see him leave. If anything, that made me less sad to see Ten go and more accepting of Eleven.

The whole ''the change feels like death'' exchange in part 1 made me raise an eyebrow, the Doctor's behavior towards Wilfred at the radiation chamber irritated me greatly, but I was hoping at least that RTD would develop this new concept of his (which conveniently hasn't been mentioned again in any regeneration story since TEOT) and have the Doctor realise that actually regeneration isn't the end for him. Instead, all we got is the Doctor whimpering that godawful final line and regenerating in tears.
  • HestiaHestia Posts: 380
    Forum Member
    The whole ''the change feels like death'' exchange in part 1 made me raise an eyebrow, the Doctor's behavior towards Wilfred at the radiation chamber irritated me greatly, but I was hoping at least that RTD would develop this new concept of his (which conveniently hasn't been mentioned again in any regeneration story since TEOT) and have the Doctor realise that actually regeneration isn't the end for him. Instead, all we got is the Doctor whimpering that godawful final line and regenerating in tears.

Just a few thoughts. I seem to remember the fifth Doctor saying that it felt 'different' and he wasn't certain what was happening, so the concept of not regenerating had been mentioned before.

Any regeneration since? That'll be the single regeneration since, then!

For me, all of the times when the Doctor has gone into a situation gung-ho and without thinking are the ones that are trite. The whole thing about bravery is that you know exactly what the consequences are, don't want to do it, are yourself probably frightened, but do it anyway. That may have been the purpose of the 'behaviour' towards Wilf? We, the viewers, know what is going to happen, mainly because we've seen the replacement actor, but the whole point is that the character himself shouldn't know with any certainty that it is all going to be OK. I thought that was shown again by the Doctor putting the Tardis out of reach from anyone, just in case.

Oh dear, it's turned into another love-hate thread about the regeneration itself. All credit to RTD for writing something that is still hotly debated years later.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hestia wrote: »
    Just a few thoughts. I seem to remember the fifth Doctor saying that it felt 'different' and he wasn't certain what was happening, so the concept of not regenerating had been mentioned before.

Any regeneration since? That'll be the single regeneration since, then!
    What I like about the Fifth Doctor's regeneration was that he wasn't sure whether he would regenerate or not, but suffered hallucinations of his companions urging him to survive by regenerating. The Fifth Doctor regarded the change as a form of survival whereas the Tenth regarded it as a form of death.

Single regeneration? What happened to Day of the Moon, Lets Kill Hitler, The Day of the Doctor and the Time of the Doctor?
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    What I like about the Fifth Doctor's regeneration was that he wasn't sure whether he would regenerate or not, but suffered hallucinations of his companions urging him to survive by regenerating. The Fifth Doctor regarded the change as a form of survival whereas the Tenth regarded it as a form of death.

Single regeneration? What happened to Day of the Moon, Lets Kill Hitler, The Day of the Doctor and the Time of the Doctor?

The day regeneration is painted as anything but a hugely painful, regretful, mournful process to be avoided at all costs is the day the character of the Doctor loses a lot of his mystique and the show loses a hell of a lot of suspense
    "LOOK OUT DOCTOR THE DALEKS HAVE RETUR....oh, well you can just change your face if you get shot, no biggy"

I'm glad The Doctor doesn't just treat regeneration as slightly more awkward than a change of clothes.
    TBH if I could change one thing about Doctor Who's past I'd re-write it as a process that only kicks in AFTER death. That way there'd be no doubt in anyone's minds it was a terrible event that the Doctor would rightfully mourn as it was happening, not knowing if it would properly kick in or not and knowing he was going to die first.

Bottom line: Doctor Who fans would make terrible drama writers. Don't give up your day jobs :D
  • Evil GeniusEvil Genius Posts: 8,841
    Forum Member
    Personally I loved the regeneration in EoT.
    Regeneration should be something to be feared and resented almost - it is after all the death of a personality.
    RTD just gave it an emotional resonance.

Personally I've never held with the classics "Oh, I'm going. Farewell and be good" WHOOOOOSH! *bounds up a new man* "Ah, well that's that done. Off we go!"

They shouldn't be playing glibly with them
    They should be not only feared for what they do to the current incarnation but avoided as much as possible because each one taken is one less left in the bank so to speak. One less chance.

And as to the 'farewell tour'...yes it may have been a bit over-long but consider this. There were a lot of wrapping ups and farewells for that. It wasn't just Ten's farewell, it was Tennants farewell, RTD's farewell and also the RTD era farewells as well.
    It was their opportunity to wrap up the characters they had created and to say goodbye to them, also leaving the way clear to a blank slate for the Moff.

Do you really begrudge them that opportunity? The people who had brought back this amazing show and against all odds made it popular? Really?
    (what I am saying? Of course some people will, some people have a meanness of spirit. I've just been arguing with someone on another forum who thinks workhouses should be brought back for the unemployed and poor!)

Yes, it might be overlong but considering what they did for the show, I do not begrudge them one single minute of that. I consider it a present they earned.

600 posts, yeay! :) (*disgusted* Ugh! You child Dave...)
  • Rossby41Rossby41 Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he'd had stayed, I don't think they could have fitted any other River Song story into that series.
  • gdrx78gdrx78 Posts: 300
    Forum Member
    Rossby41 wrote: »
    If he'd had stayed, I don't think they could have fitted any other River Song story into that series.

If he'd have stayed River Song might have made me watch. Afraid I only enjoyed Tennant partnered with Catherine Tate-he really upped his game with her.

Another strong female lead could have possibly recaptured that. The Specials killed a lot of my Joy-the only highlight was The Waters of Mars... hmmm... Tennant and a mature, strong Female character again...