Matt Lucas as Thenardier

Comments

• divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alcockell wrote: »
    Lucas is crap, isn't he...

What little I've seen, I've liked, but no one will beat Barry James, in my book.
  • alcockellalcockell Posts: 25,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here we go...
  • MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    divingbboy wrote: »
    What little I've seen, I've liked, but no one will beat Barry James, in my book.
    Awww my favourite Thenardier too!!!!! :D

I think Matt was desperate to play this part for his Mum and for his own love of Les Mis and I thought he was OK... once the costume was on and those teeth were dirtied up, he probably believed he was the old landlord and the guy who had just spoken about him, reckoned Matt was one of the better Thenardiers!

People who haven't seen Les Mis as often as I have (or other huge fans) wouldn't know what previous Thenardiers, Jean Valjeans, Fantines etc were like, so whoever plays these parts nowadays would appear good, which they clearly are, but we all have our favourites, which are often the first people we saw, when the musical was brand new!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's hamming it up a bit too much...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And that Mme Thenardier doesn't *quite* get into the moment...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    I love Les Mis. I have the DVD waiting to watch as I got it for Christmas.
    Matt seems to have done a good job.
  • ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's no Alun Armstrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OK, I'm sticking with the 'footage of Trevor Nunn was a couple of years old' theory.............
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    I hadn't realised he entered the Eurovision song contest... and of course so did Michael Ball... a few years after his Les Mis stint!

And Frances Ruffelle too (1994).

I remember those dreadful reviews but how wrong they were when it's still going 25 years later and in so many other countries!

And the snooty tv reviewers shows how much they knew.;)

Really enjoyed the programme shame they didn't show the Valjean quartet and OLC on at the end though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Evie-Grace wrote: »
    Really enjoyed the programme shame they didn't show the Valjean quartet and OLC on at the end though.

Gives me goosebumps, every time I hear Bring Him Home!! :cry: You can see JO-J's admiration for Colm!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJl1MWFabkc
  • tennismantennisman Posts: 4,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed the programme very much, despite wondering about the rather obvious voiceover, until I realised I had the audio description on my set turned on!!! ('View from a helicopter of Oslo harbour???)

Its difficult to seperate Matt's performance from prior perceptions of him.

From the audience reaction, probably many of his fans didn't care whether he was good or not. But overall, I reckon he was pretty professional.

I always love how it all comes together bit by bit as the performers release a bit more of themselves each time, holding that last bit for the live show.

For Lea Salonga fans, I love this peroformance of 'I dreamed a dream';

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNojZg_mrTg
  • Yorkie47Yorkie47 Posts: 1,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed this programme but then I am a big Les Mis fan. I thought Matt did very well, though Alun Armstrong still has the edge.

Really, really liked Alfie Boe as John Valjean. Colm Wilkinson takes some beating but Alfie was up there. The 25th anniversary DVD is fabulous and well worth buying to see the whole show.

I've seen Les Mis many times but oh, what I would give to have seen the young Michael Ball as Marius! Unfortunately, I caught on a few years too late. And to think I chose 42nd Street instead, I could weep! Still, the 10th anniversary DVD is some consolation.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,139
    Forum Member
    Yorkie47 wrote: »
    I enjoyed this programme but then I am a big Les Mis fan. I thought Matt did very well, though Alun Armstrong still has the edge.

Really, really liked Alfie Boe as John Valjean. Colm Wilkinson takes some beating but Alfie was up there. The 25th anniversary DVD is fabulous and well worth buying to see the whole show.

I've seen Les Mis many times but oh, what I would give to have seen the young Michael Ball as Marius! Unfortunately, I caught on a few years too late. And to think I chose 42nd Street instead, I could weep! Still, the 10th anniversary DVD is some consolation.

I saw him in his first major show - Pirates of Penzance in Manchester with Paul Nicholas. You could tell he was going to be a star then.
  • giraffe77giraffe77 Posts: 165
    Forum Member
    Is it repeated at any point, or is it just good old iplayer??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yorkie47 wrote: »
    Yorkie... to me, Michael was Marius and he was so young, slim and cute... he's still nice now, but his Marius was a joy!
    I saw a young Michael in Aspects (didn't like Aspects though)! He was rather cute in pink, this day when I met him which seems so long ago!!!

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5008/5304684798_8c609488fa.jpg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yorkie... to me, Michael was Marius and he was so young, slim and cute... he's still nice now, but his Marius was a joy!
    I saw a young Michael in Aspects (didn't like Aspects though)! He was rather cute in pink, this day when I met him which seems so long ago!!!

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5008/5304684798_8c609488fa.jpg

Michael Praed, Michael Ball's replacement as Alex was better in the role, IMO, mainly because Michael Ball's acting chops weren't up to much in those days (he's very good these days, though). I do like the show very much, too, though the original West End production suffered from being overproduced and too complicated set-wise for its own good. Phantom - Aspects - Sunset are ALWs best shows, I think. He's never been able to do anything as good since. Sunset, in particular, is probably his greatest artistic success.
  • Manly BarrilowManly Barrilow Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is nice to see that "I Dreamed A Dream" was change from the horrible pop song it was in the early stages into the great piece it is now.
  • beccasmbeccasm Posts: 376
    Forum Member
    No one will ever beat Alan Armstrong as Thenardier
  • Manly BarrilowManly Barrilow Posts: 1,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    beccasm wrote: »
    No one will ever beat Alan Armstrong as Thenardier

Yes he does own the part.

But the lady (sorry don't know her name) who plays his wife is the absolute difinative for her role. A comic genius. The role was made for her, or she made the role, hers.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hadn't realised he entered the Eurovision song contest... and of course so did Michael Ball... a few years after his Les Mis stint!

So did Frances Rufelle, the original Eponine, in 1994
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes he does own the part.

But the lady (sorry don't know her name) who plays his wife is the absolute difinative for her role. A comic genius. The role was made for her, or she made the role, hers.

Jenny Galloway
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A straight documentary on Les Mis would be fine - not seeing what the whole Matt Lucas element is adding .... Maybe that's because I don't really like him...

They probably felt the need to give it a celebrity angle. You can't seem to watch any documentary now without having a celebrity of some sort pushed in your face. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really enjoyed the documentary. I didn't think I'd appreciate the Matt Lucas aspect because I'm not a fan but I thought he actually came across very well and did a pretty good job in the role from what they showed us!

I've never been a fan of Colm Wilkinson so I'd much prefer Alfie Boe to be Valjean if the film they mentioned goes ahead. I'd never seen or heard him before tonight, actually, but I thought he was great.

I own the 10th Anniversary Concert DVD (the clips from that were much appreciated, especially when they showed the gorgeous Michael Maguire!) but I've never actually seen the show live. I really want to go now, it's reignited my enthusiasm for the show!