Sarah Millican..................is there a single panel show she wont appear on ??

Comments

• Angel_DelightsAngel_Delights Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be ok if she was actually funny.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be ok if she was actually funny.

Winner: Chortle Awards Best Headliner 2010

Nominee: Barry Award, Melbourne Comedy Festival 2009

Winner: Chortle Awards Breakthrough Act 2009

Winner: if. Comedy Best Newcomer 2008

Winner: Best Breakthrough act, North-West Comedy Awards 2006

Nominee: Chortle Awards Best Newcomer 2006

Winner: Amused Moose Comedy Awards 2005

Runner Up: BBC New Comedy Awards 2005

Runner Up: So You Think You’re Funny 2005

Runner Up: Funny Women 2005

http://www.sarahmillican.co.uk/about.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Winner: Chortle Awards Best Headliner 2010

Nominee: Barry Award, Melbourne Comedy Festival 2009

Winner: Chortle Awards Breakthrough Act 2009

Winner: if. Comedy Best Newcomer 2008

Winner: Best Breakthrough act, North-West Comedy Awards 2006

Nominee: Chortle Awards Best Newcomer 2006

Winner: Amused Moose Comedy Awards 2005

Runner Up: BBC New Comedy Awards 2005

Runner Up: So You Think You’re Funny 2005

Runner Up: Funny Women 2005

http://www.sarahmillican.co.uk/about.html

I saw her on Micheal McIntyres comedy show a few weeks back and she wasn't that funny, and the audience would agree I think as they hardly laughed either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw her on Micheal McIntyres comedy show a few weeks back and she wasn't that funny, and the audience would agree I think as they hardly laughed either.

Yeah, a cabinet full of awards, more bookings than she can possibly cope with, her own radio show, an Edinburgh Festival hit year after year but I guess you’re right - She can’t possibly be funny. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh sorry for having my own opinion:rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh sorry for having my own opinion:rolleyes:

An opinion would be qualified by saying “I personally don’t find her funny”, not just a sweeping “It would be ok if she was actually funny.” Clearly she is funny otherwise there’d be no awards, no commercial success etc. She might not be to your taste but that’s different to just categorising her as “unfunny”.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't it obvious it was my opinion? I didn't quote anyone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't it obvious it was my opinion?

Not if you continue to back it in light of the evidence to the contrary I provided above. How do you explain all the awards she’s received? Were they all a fix?

You’re wrong is all - She is funny..... and not just IMO!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's not funny......in my opinion.

That better?:D
  • SuperbeastSuperbeast Posts: 1,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's funny in the same way Miranda is funny. By that I mean she makes jokes about her weight, eating issues and being somewhat unattractive endlessly. I personally prefer Victoria Wood who does the same thing but not for her entire act and actually has a variety of material to draw from rather than basically just going back to variations of "look at me, I'm kind of ugly! I like biscuits! Most men find me unnattractive but I persist!" Jo Brand does the same thing but throws in some current events and political stuff to balance it out. But when "I'm fat, unattractive, I eat a lot and I am sexually awkward!" is all the act consists of... it just wears thin really quickly. It's like every black British female comedian going on about beating kids, their harsh parents and weird patois slang, most of us got tired of that act when Lenny Henry used it in the 80s. We got even more tired of it when 3 Non Blondes ran the joke into the ground. At this point hearing it from Andi Osho it's like "do you have any originality at all?"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's not funny......in my opinion.

Wise people modify their opinions if presented with facts that contradict held beliefs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just because she has won awards (A majority on that list I've not even heard of) doesn't mean I have to find her funny now.

The Only Way is Essex won a BAFTA over Downten Abbey, does that make that more quality tv?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just because she has won awards (A majority on that list I've not even heard of) doesn't mean I have to find her funny now.

Don't you realise? Awards mean something, it's not just a committee decision based on endorsing people so they are then implicitly indebted to you for giving their career a boost, not at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Superbeast wrote: »
    But when "I'm fat, unattractive, I eat a lot and I am sexually awkward!" is all the act consists of... it just wears thin really quickly.

Congrats - You caught a couple of self-deprecating gags from her act, most likely on MTW. It’s not all she does and perhaps you should try listening to the R4 show to correct your misconception. She’s by far the best of the current crop of female comics.

Ironic that you cite Brand as a better comic when (recent BBC4 show aside) she’s just been flogging jokes about cake (and maybe pies if she feels like freshening up her woefully tired material) for over 20 years!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Oh, I don’t expect you to but you should at least acknowledge that many people do which makes yours a minority opinion really. She’s a successful comic.....which must annoy you quite a lot.
    The Only Way is Essex won a BAFTA over Downten Abbey, does that make that more quality tv?

It was a People’s Choice award IIRC and Downton Abbey won several other awards that same night and no doubt will win many more so it’s a fairly piss-weak example really.
  • pete137pete137 Posts: 18,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, a cabinet full of awards, more bookings than she can possibly cope with, her own radio show, an Edinburgh Festival hit year after year but I guess you’re right - She can’t possibly be funny. :rolleyes:

We get it, your her biggest fan ........................how much time on your hands must you have to look up and copy and paste all her awards and slate me for missing out some comma's...............did I miss one there too ? Are you a relative by any chance ha ha !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't you realise? Awards mean something, it's not just a committee decision based on endorsing people so they are then implicitly indebted to you for giving their career a boost, not at all.

Ah right, so I can put you down for the “they’re ALL a fix” camp can I?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, I don’t expect you to but you should at least acknowledge that many people do which makes yours a minority opinion really. She’s a successful comic.....which must annoy you quite a lot.

It was a People’s Choice award IIRC and Downton Abbey won several other awards that same night and no doubt will win many more so it’s a fairly piss-weak example really.

You're the one who seems to have a problem and can't accept someone isn't a fan of hers. I'm not annoyed at her, good luck to her just don't find her funny.

And as you seem to judge funny on awards - Jo Brand British Comedy Award 2011 Best TV Comedy Actress: BAFTA Best Female Performance in a Comedy Role.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pete137 wrote: »
    We get it, your her biggest fan ........................how much time on your hands must you have to look up and copy and paste all her awards and slate me for missing out some comma's...............did I miss one there too ?

And now you punctuate where none is needed! :D Piss my pants funny!

If you’re going to slate someone, calling them a simpleton, it’s probably a good idea not to make yourself look like one at the same time wouldn’t you say?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah right, so I can put you down for the “they’re ALL a fix” camp can I?

Um... yeah... because that should be obvious when it's anything other than a people's choice award. Duh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're the one who seems to have a problem and can't accept someone isn't a fan of hers. I'm not annoyed at her, good luck to her just don't find her funny.

But she IS funny. Just because you or others don’t agree doesn’t negate that central truth. You could repeat it endlessly on every forum available but she’d still go on filling auditoria, selling DVDs and appearing on panel shows and by sheer dint of continuing to work....proving her detractors wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Um... yeah... because that should be obvious when it's anything other than a people's choice award. Duh.

Err....OK, Captain Conspiracy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Congrats - You caught a couple of self-deprecating gags from her act, most likely on MTW. It’s not all she does and perhaps you should try listening to the R4 show to correct your misconception. She’s by far the best of the current crop of female comics.

Ironic that you cite Brand as a better comic when (recent BBC4 show aside) she’s just been flogging jokes about cake (and maybe pies if she feels like freshening up her woefully tired material) for over 20 years!!

I've seen her on Opinionated, Dave's One Night Stand, Live At The Apollo, Comedy Roadshow, Have I got News For You, King Of..., Lee Mack's All Star Cast, C4 Comedy Gala... I'm well aware of her act and routines. Whether it's the biscuit argument or the dirty dancing pool lift or the little kids are annoying routine, I've heard pretty much all of them. I am not going off a few jokes, I am going off of being exposed to this woman for the last 14 months non stop because she's one of the acceptable faces of female comedy.

The best of the current crop of female comics? Whitney Cummings, Kathy Griffin, Marget Cho, Zoe Lyons, Samantha Bee, Tina Fey, Amy Sedaris, Jessica Delfino, Rhona Cameron, Josie Long, Holly Walsh and Fiona Allen are all superior comediennes in my estimation.
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,544
    Forum Member
    pete137 wrote: »
    We get it, your her biggest fan ........................how much time on your hands must you have to look up and copy and paste all her awards and slate me for missing out some comma's...............did I miss one there too ? Are you a relative by any chance ha ha !

Yes, and it should be "you're her biggest fan" not "your her biggest fan". Sorry to be picky:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Err....OK, Captain Conspiracy.

Um... no. A decision made by a private committee is obviously going to be biased based on their interests. That should be blindlingly obvious. Also what conspiracy are you suggesting? Or are you suggesting I'm suggesting? Because it seems like you just want to sling around X-Files buzzwords out of context to try defeat my points with... basically attempting to discredit an argument I'm not actually putting forth. Which doesn't make much sense. Except to you, maybe.
This discussion has been closed.