Options

Radio Football Commentators and Reporters 2012/13

Comments

• Options
    swansea steveswansea steve Posts: 1,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IanFergus wrote: »
    Actually, it's Five Live and BBC Rsdio Manchester claiming to be the commentators inside Old Trafford tonight. Mike Ingham and Alan Green commentating on BBC Radio Five Live with Bill Rice and Arthur Albiston commentating on BBC Radio Manchester.

Robbie Savage will be commentating alongside Mike and Alan for 5Live.
  • Options
    pakokelso93pakokelso93 Posts: 11,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Couple of weekend Premier League IRN info

SUNDAY
    Spurs v Arsenal - Andrew Cheal

LAST NIGHT
    Villa v Man City - Clive Edwards
  • Options
    LanarkianLanarkian Posts: 7,567
    Forum Member
    Robbie Savage will be commentating alongside Mike and Alan for 5Live.
    It was actually David Moyes's name that I forgot as summariser.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IanFergus wrote: »
    It was actually David Moyes's name that I forgot as summariser.

yes, apologies. not sure where I got Savage from-- thinking of the first leg maybe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yes, apologies. not sure where I got Savage from-- thinking of the first leg maybe.

also, to atone for my earlier mistake, I can tell you that Steve May was at Derby v Cardiff and Rob Nothman covered Palace v Hull.
  • Options
    wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Radio Leeds, and official websites of Huddersfield Town and Bradford City
    host: Gareth Jones at the Huddersfield Sports Stadium
    Port Vale versus Bradford City (103.9 FM, AM, DAB and official Bradford City website)
    commentator: Dave Fletcher
    summariser: Wayne Jacobs

(92.4, 95.3 and 102.7 FM, and official Huddersfield Town website)
    Huddersfield Town versus Middlesbrough
    commentator: Paul Ogden
    summariser: Graham Mitchell
    Leicester City versus Leeds United
    reporter: Tim Steere

The Pulse
    Port Vale versus Bradford City
    host and commentator: Jon Francis
    summariser: Ian Ormondroyd
  • Options
    Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BBC Hereford & Worcestershre

Hereford United V Newport County - Keith Hall and Gareth Davies (94.7FM / Online)

I can't remember who the host was.
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tuesday 5th March - Free Radio 80s

Tom Ross presented The Goalzone from St Andrew's

Championship
    Birmingham City v Blackpool - Tom Ross and Kevan Broadhurst (7.45pm commentary in Birmingham)
    Millwall v Wolverhampton Wanderers - Chris Coles and Mel Eves (7.45pm commentary in the Black Country and Shropshire)
    rufuseric wrote: »
    My understanding is that competition law prevents Today FM and Newstalk sharing sports presenters and reporters.

It's a major blow for Newstalk and very bad news for sports fans in Ireland.

Interesting to hear that Irish law would prevent the Today FM team from working on Newstalk 106-108FM and vice versa Rufuseric, particularly when you consider that the likes of Ron Jones and Ian Beach, not to mention all the co-commentators they both use, will be freelancers.

I guess we'll be hearing a fair bit of Alan Irwin and Connor Morris as their Premier League commentators between now and the end of the season, what with Ken Early being among those moving on and with Dave McIntyre now working on weeknights. With Simon Hick having left Newstalk as well, they will need to refresh their European Cup rugby union coverage when that resumes next month - thinking aloud here, but with all of the Welsh regions and the Scottish teams out of both competitions and with the three Irish provinces playing their quarter-final ties in England, perhaps it might be a possibility for them to call upon a few of BBC Radio Wales and Scotland's rugby union (lead) commentators during this year's knockout phase, as presumably they will be available? That would be a decent stop-gap solution to my mind.

Irish sports blog The Score has audio of Ger Gilroy's opener from Monday night's Off The Ball, with him giving the departing quintet a few kind words by way of a send-off: http://thescore.thejournal.ie/listen-ger-gilroy-opens-newstalks-off-the-ball-following-sports-staff-resignations-818827-Mar2013/
    TS will be doing extended reports with Nigel and Alvin I'd guess-- it is fairly standard for them to send a reporter/summeriser to big games they don't have commentary access to.

You are exactly right Steve, last night's Kick Off took its usual Around the Grounds format with "extended coverage" of Manchester United v Real Madrid, although from the bits I heard I believe this only amounted to having a co-host/pundit covering the game rather than them doing any spells of commentary from it (as has been the case for domestic cup games receiving "extended coverage" earlier this season). This was always the plan - talkSPORT are doing commentary on all three of the away legs for the British clubs in the UCL Round of 16, but they did not pick up commentary rights to any of the three home legs.
    BBC Hereford & Worcestershre

Hereford United V Newport County - Keith Hall and Gareth Davies (94.7FM / Online)

I can't remember who the host was.

It was Dan Wheeler, formerly of BBC WM, going by his Twitter. Both he and Keith Hall have commentated for talkSPORT Live this season. I think H&W's Hereford co-commentator is called Gregg Davies too. Also going by Twitter, it doesn't sound as if that station had a team at the Gateshead v Kidderminster Harriers game in the Conference Premier.

Speaking of BBC WM, interesting to hear that Adrian Goldberg - the station's mid-morning presenter, who has worked nationally as a current affairs host on Radio 5 Live and talkSPORT - was co-commentating on WM Sport's DAB coverage of the Birmingham game. He used to do the occasional co-commentary on WM Sport during his tenure as their breakfast show presenter during the mid 2000s. His co-commentary stints tended to be on Saturdays when they'd have three live commentaries staggered between the lunchtime, 3pm and teatime timeslots and from what I remember, he was surprisingly good (or at least better than Daz Hale!).
  • Options
    elcraigelcraig Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    Tue 5 March 2013
    Radio Lancs Sport with Phil Cunliffe

Championship
    Bolton V Blackburn - Andy Beyes & Kevin Gallagher (commentary)
    Birmingham V Blackpool - Ian Chisnall & Will Watt (commentary)
    Burnley V Barnsley - Scott Read
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Radio Scotland, 6/3/13

Richard Gordon presented Sportsound from Tynecastle on 810MW.

Hearts v St Johnstone - Paul Mitchell, Allan Preston and Peter Houston (commentary) with Charlie Mann pitchside
    Hamilton v Morton - Billy Dodds
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BBC London
    Host Phil Parry
    Studio Jamie Reid
    Crystal Palace v Hull City Jamie Hill
    Millwall v Wolves Andrea Warth
    Peterborough v Charlton PP and Bradley Allen (commentary) with Ian Ramsdale
    Watford v Sheff Wed Barry Swain
    Stevenage v Brentford Billy Reeves

BBC Three Counties Radio
    Watford v Sheff Wed Jon Marks and Derek Payne (commentary)

BBC Tees
    Huddersfield v Middlesbrough Alistair Brownlee and Craig Hignett (FM commentary) with Mark Drury
    Hartlepool v Colchester James Mountford and Brian Arundale (DAB commentary)
  • Options
    The DifferenceThe Difference Posts: 21,085
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wednesday 6th March - talkSPORT

Mark Saggers presenting Kick Off: Champions League Live

UEFA Champions League Round of 16 Second Leg
    Juventus v Celtic - Sam Matterface and Andy Gray (7.45pm commentary)

Cricket: First Test Match
    New Zealand v England - Jack Bannister
  • Options
    Ian CleverlyIan Cleverly Posts: 10,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was Dan Wheeler, formerly of BBC WM, going by his Twitter. Both he and Keith Hall have commentated for talkSPORT Live this season. I think H&W's Hereford co-commentator is called Gregg Davies too. Also going by Twitter, it doesn't sound as if that station had a team at the Gateshead v Kidderminster Harriers game in the Conference Premier.

Nah, 'twas definitely Gareth Davies, as I've heard him this season when listening to Hereford play Shrewsbury Town in an FA Cup game last year. There is a Gregg Davies who does 'Bulls commentary' on the clubs website though.

Hereford's looks a lovely place. I've only ever been there 'proper' once before (unless you count going though it on the train as a visit :D), so, when the weather get's nicer I'll go to the Cider Museum or sumefin'.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thursday 7th March

BBC Radio Newcastle
    17:00
    Mick Lowes and John Anderson (from Newcastle) with Matt Raisbeck (in Moscow) on Anzhi-Newcastle
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC Radio Scotland, 6/3/13

Richard Gordon presenting Sportsound on 810MW, with Tom English.

Juventus v Celtic - Liam McLeod, Murdo MacLeod and Owen Coyle (commentary) with Chick Young "somewhere" (not pitchside, per UEFA rules)
    Dundee v St Mirren - Jim Spence
  • Options
    TOON FANTOON FAN Posts: 1,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Thursday 7th March

BBC Radio Newcastle
    17:00
    Mick Lowes and John Anderson (from Newcastle) with Matt Raisbeck (in Moscow) on Anzhi-Newcastle

Seems an odd way to do it, having the commentators offtube, but having the presenter at the stadium?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    TOON FAN wrote: »
    Seems an odd way to do it, having the commentators offtube, but having the presenter at the stadium?
    A bit like Channel 4 did its Sunday afternoon Italian Football.
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I've a correction to that but thought it had edited but it hasn't :o

BBC Radio Newcastle
    From 16.30, with kick off at 17:00

Matthew Raisbeck as late cover (in Moscow) commentating with John Anderson (from BBC Newcastle studios) doing analysis

Seems odd to only send one guy out unless Ando couldn't get a VISA but he did go to the Ukraine, wonder if that's why Lowes isn't doing it
  • Options
    jimmyladjimmylad Posts: 729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Haha well its clearly the other way round! Anyways, why are talkSPORT doing commentary on a pointless Celtic game considering they had no commentary from Old Trafford last night, seems totally strange to me!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jimmylad wrote: »
    Haha well its clearly the other way round! Anyways, why are talkSPORT doing commentary on a pointless Celtic game considering they had no commentary from Old Trafford last night, seems totally strange to me!

it's consistant with their policy of covering the away teams in Europe (with the exception of Chelsea). I think the deals were negotiated before the first legs were played anyway. TS seem unwilling to pay the British club's asking price for commentary access to home games. While I agree that TS have ended up with a pointless match to commentate on tonight what with Celtic being so far behind from the first leg, Its consistant with their policy and I can understand why they didn't pick up rights last night. the game was live on ITV and with United probably charging a premium for that game they probably felt it wouldn't pull in enough listeners to justify the cost. TS unfortunately have what looks like a non-event of a match next week with the Arsenal second leg.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BBC Radio Five Live
    Host Mark Pougatch
    Juventus v Celtic Darren Fletcher and Pat Nevin (commentary)
  • Options
    Igloo_ManIgloo_Man Posts: 2,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was last night the first time David Moyes has appeared as a co-commentator on BBC Radio 5 Live? I don't recall having heard him on radio before, yet it was a heck of game to be giving someone their co-commentary debut.
  • Options
    shaun_dshaun_d Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He did a few matches at the World Cup in 2010 but I don't think he's done anything since.

It brings up an interesting point though that 5 Live don't really have a number 1 summariser and use so many different ones that you never know who you're going to get. I remember reading a nice piece once saying that if you miss the introduction you could spend an entire match trying to work out the summariser based on any clues that might be given in discussion with the main commentator.

I wonder if Chris Waddle will return as a regular next season if he doesn't have TV commitments.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    elcraig wrote: »
    Tue 5 March 2013
    Radio Lancs Sport with Phil Cunliffe

Championship
    Bolton V Blackburn - Andy Beyes & Kevin Gallagher (commentary)
    Birmingham V Blackpool - Ian Chisnall & Will Watt (commentary)
    Burnley V Barnsley - Scott Read

How did Radio Lancs do the frequency split with Bolton v Blackburn? Often they have put games involving teams playing Bolton or Wigan on 103.9FM or 855AM in order to get the away fans due to frequency overlap - as Radio Manchester didn't do a DAB split to cover it as they could have - although it was live on Tower FM, so Lancs may consider it a lost cause these days?

They could have done:
    Bolton v Blackburn on 95.5 and 103.9
    with Birmingham v Blackpool on 104.5 and 855/1557

or
    Bolton v Blackburn on 95.5 and 855
    Birmingham v Blackpool on 103.9, 104.5 and 1557

but if Bolton weren't involved, I would go for:
    x v Blackburn on 95.5 and all AM
    Birmingham v Blackpool on 103.9 and 104.5

Hopefully I'm not the only one who finds this facinating :)
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shaun_d wrote: »
    I remember reading a nice piece once saying that if you miss the introduction you could spend an entire match trying to work out the summariser based on any clues that might be given in discussion with the main commentator.

The Five Live Game! I think you're referring to the great Harry Pearson piece I remember reading where he says you have to work it out based on their first name, their accent and, as you say, any references they make to their career. He wrote about spending an entire match wondering who "Steve" was, who was from the North East but wasn't Steve Stone. Turned out it was Steve Harper.