Options

What stations left that don't network at all 24/7! except the chart perhaps

Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
Forum Member
Thinking recently that I don't actually have a favourite station anymore because they all network.

Some stations are still quite bland, but it's good to have a full on service from them where they are always "there" and haven't switched off to local listeners by going out of town.

I think
Chester's Dee106.3
Liverpool's Juice FM
Lakeland Radio (which are about to add Keswich on 101.4)
Lincs FM
Pirate FM (Cornwall)
Cheshire's Silk FM
Nevis Radio (Fort William, Highlands)
KMFM in Kent (but they did merge several individual KMFM stations, it's still local to Kent)
Star Radio North East (same story as KMFM)
I could be wrong with some of these but I hope I'm not

any more?

In some cases there is non stop music, and I think then I'd prefer them to join up with another station if that's all they are going to do, but only in that case. And anything big enough such as a national chart show feels quite worthy of dropping the local output but most other things don't, big name celebrity interviews that are featured on the likes of "In Demand" could be given to local presenters to play, and different group DJ's could do the interviews.

Comments

• Options
    on the airon the air Posts: 1,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio Jackie
  • Options
    PhilHPhilH Posts: 2,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wave 105 don't even take the chart. Everything is produced locally, even if some of it is voicetracked.
  • Options
    Jack-UKJack-UK Posts: 1,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was just about to say Wave 105, I'm listening to them now. Compass FM is local to Grimsby, think that's the case with all the Lincs FM Group stations.
  • Options
    Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    Do you find like me that many of these stations aren't as good as the stations that were replaced by Heart, eg in my area I don't find Dee106.3 to be as good as MFM used to be! Shame as that is. Otherwise they'd be great alternatives to the stations we've lost!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    Jack-UK wrote: »
    Compass FM is local to Grimsby

Not as much any more. Richard Lyon, the only full time live presenter, Andy Marsh and Ash Taylor are the only Grimsby natives - all other presenters come from well outside the area and record programmes in Lincoln (as the station is sharing premeses with Lincs FM as a cost cutting measure). If you listen to others shows, they struggle to place name landmarks to nearby streets and pronounce them correctly. 'brighowgate' is the best test! The old MYL stations share networked programmes over the weekend and H&M share a networked drive time show.
  • Options
    Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    Pirate FM 102 and Radio Plymouth. Pirate take the chart show though.
  • Options
    -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,879
    Forum Member
    In ofcom's eyes, Breeze South Hampshire doesn't have any networking.
    IOW Radio is local 24/7 other than a VT from Sussex and it doesn't take chart.
    I don't think any UKRD stations do networking other than BT40.
  • Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    Jack-UK wrote: »
    Was just about to say Wave 105, I'm listening to them now. Compass FM is local to Grimsby, think that's the case with all the Lincs FM Group stations.

Do Compass programmes not come from Lincoln? Very local. Most small stations voice track if they don't network and some voice track from other sites which in my view is worse than networking. I understand the business reasons for it but stations that do it are no more local than stations that network.
  • Options
    colinhanslipcolinhanslip Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    My favourite stations are all non-networkers, with a good local focus. Living a bit of a split life at the moment, this means that when I am in Hampshire it's Eagle Radio, and when on the way to Northamptonshire it's Mix 96 followed by Connect FM.
  • Options
    wirewolfwirewolf Posts: 805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My favourite stations are all non-networkers, with a good local focus. Living a bit of a split life at the moment, this means that when I am in Hampshire it's Eagle Radio, and when on the way to Northamptonshire it's Mix 96 followed by Connect FM.

Connect FM share programmes with Southend Radio and Chelmsford Radio.
  • Options
    colinhanslipcolinhanslip Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    wirewolf wrote: »
    Connect FM share programmes with Southend Radio and Chelmsford Radio.

I was not aware of that!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    Thinking recently that I don't actually have a favourite station anymore because they all network.

Some stations are still quite bland, but it's good to have a full on service from them where they are always "there" and haven't switched off to local listeners by going out of town.

I think
    Chester's Dee106.3
    Liverpool's Juice FM
    Lakeland Radio (which are about to add Keswich on 101.4)
    Lincs FM
    Pirate FM (Cornwall)
    Cheshire's Silk FM
    Nevis Radio (Fort William, Highlands)
    KMFM in Kent (but they did merge several individual KMFM stations, it's still local to Kent)
    Star Radio North East (same story as KMFM)
    I could be wrong with some of these but I hope I'm not

any more?

In some cases there is non stop music, and I think then I'd prefer them to join up with another station if that's all they are going to do, but only in that case. And anything big enough such as a national chart show feels quite worthy of dropping the local output but most other things don't, big name celebrity interviews that are featured on the likes of "In Demand" could be given to local presenters to play, and different group DJ's could do the interviews.

Gem106 doesn't take any networking, as far as I know it's all done from Nottingham.
  • Options
    elcraigelcraig Posts: 97
    Forum Member
    The Bay in Lancaster don't network other than the chart.
    2BR and The Bee in Lancashire share the same building but don't network or take the chart show.
  • Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    Rob Howell wrote: »
    Gem106 doesn't take any networking, as far as I know it's all done from Nottingham.

Apart from some voice tracking from the west mids.
  • Options
    steven cardwellsteven cardwell Posts: 2,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are a few in Scotland that are local 24/7

Wave 102 (Dundee) http://www.wave102.co.uk/homepage

Original 102 (Aberdeen) http://www.originalfm.com/homepage

Kingdom FM (Fife) http://www.kingdomfm.co.uk/frontend/index.cfm

Your FM (Dumbarton) http://www.yourradiofm.com/
  • Options
    richjj1978richjj1978 Posts: 141
    Forum Member
    Fairly sure Kerrang doesn't network anything either but it does now have a six hour block of back to back music it didn't used to have
  • Options
    James30James30 Posts: 5,201
    Forum Member
    -ajm- wrote: »
    In ofcom's eyes, Breeze South Hampshire doesn't have any networking.

That's rubbish. Kestrel FM (south) TX covering Alton and the surrounding area was shut down to take networking from The Breeze Southampton.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    elcraig wrote: »
    The Bay in Lancaster don't network other than the chart.
    2BR and The Bee in Lancashire share the same building but don't network or take the chart show.

Does The Bay voicetrack overnights? - its not so clear in the public file. I can't imagine Vic McGlynn on Saturday overnight, then on Saturday mid-morning and back on Saturday night. Then she's back at 1 am on Sunday morning for 5 hours!

That would mean that between Sat-Sun Victoria is on for 17 hours! - Surely its nearly all voicetracked.

Why do they do presenter-led overnights anyway? - I can't imagine there being that many people in Lancaster working overnights...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    Cool FM only networks chart show don't think Downtown network at all?
  • Options
    Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Imagine FM (104.9FM in Stockport) may be another example
  • Options
    david16david16 Posts: 14,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's really desperate that all these once great local stations have become outposts of a handful of national commercial stations.
  • Options
    TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rinse FM in London
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 301
    Forum Member
    Station ID wrote: »
    Apart from some voice tracking from the west mids.

No one said anything about voicetracking, which bits come from the West Mids?