BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• radio4extracrapradio4extracrap Posts: 2,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    Radio 5live's new Friday night football preview show is horrible - two of the most boring personalities around and then add in one of the most obnoxious.

Five Live is commiting hari kari.
  • franchisefranchise Posts: 1,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio 5live's new Friday night football preview show is horrible - two of the most boring personalities around and then add in one of the most obnoxious.

This is the bit where I, like a stuck record, ask why they don't use their commentary contracts and broadcast live rugby (league and union), Scottish or Football League action rather than yet another preview of action which has been analysed to death everywhere.
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i've only just caught it but as it's often said there's too much negativity on this thread and as bacon also gets a rough ride i just listened to the monday 12th programme.

mostly because I wanted to hear the interview with kick-ass creator mark millar but it was a really good interview, very interesting..well done RB....

didn't bother with the rest of it......

did want to listen to last friday's film review even though was zoe ball :( and james king :( but being busy didn't get round to all of it so it's now expired....
    :mad:
    really irritating of BBC....
    why they can only leave things up for 7 days when other broadcasters can leave on for a month or indefinitely i don't know....some programmes they do leave on for ages but seems to be no real pattern or logic... ho hum... :(
  • p_c_u_kp_c_u_k Posts: 8,806
    Forum Member
    lordloz wrote: »
    i've only just caught it but as it's often said there's too much negativity on this thread and as bacon also gets a rough ride i just listened to the monday 12th programme.

It is unfortunate that it is human nature to be vocal when critical but less likely to step forward and praise something, so good for you in reporting back on something you liked.

I've finally settled in to having King and Ball/Whiley as stand-ins, but looking forward to the return to Mayo and Kermode.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,056
    Forum Member

mostly because I wanted to hear the interview with kick-ass creator mark millar but it was a really good interview, very interesting..well done RB....

didn't bother with the rest of it......

did want to listen to last friday's film review even though was zoe ball :( and james king :( but being busy didn't get round to all of it so it's now expired....
    :mad:
    really irritating of BBC....
    why they can only leave things up for 7 days when other broadcasters can leave on for a month or indefinitely i don't know....some programmes they do leave on for ages but seems to be no real pattern or logic... ho hum... :(

You could download the Film Review podcast?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know if/when Fighting Talk is returning? I know they have finally got shot of the incredibly annoying Colin Murray (hallelujah), but it's not on today, and it's not on the schedule for next week either. I might be wrong, but it usually returns on either the 1st or 2nd week of the football season doesn't it?
  • 4-4-24-4-2 Posts: 5,413
    Forum Member
    31st August.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4-4-2 wrote: »
    31st August.

Thanks.
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do we know who is presenting it ?
  • Al_LocqueAl_Locque Posts: 82
    Forum Member
    Do we know who is presenting it ?

Maybe Stephen Nolan ? :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surprise, surprise. Kevin Howells, a run of the mill sports presenter, can read words from a screen. So why the need to throw money at Charlotte Green?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Surprise, surprise. Kevin Howells, a run of the mill sports presenter, can read words from a screen. So why the need to throw money at Charlotte Green?

Charlotte has a better voice.
    Forum Member
    p_c_u_k wrote: »
    It is unfortunate that it is human nature to be vocal when critical but less likely to step forward and praise something, so good for you in reporting back on something you liked.

I've finally settled in to having King and Ball/Whiley as stand-ins, but looking forward to the return to Mayo and Kermode.

When are Mayo/Kermode coming back?
    Forum Member
    Someone mentioned Andy Verity. I heard him reporting for 5Live on a couple of news stories, so I wonder if they are taking him on as a reporter/presenter beyond the business news now?

it was me was wondering why he's not with Micky anymore
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could download the Film Review podcast?

Thanks Ads but the review podcast is something I believe only done for Kermode and Mayo. Unless they've added something on but I couldn't see anything I have to say.

I don't particularly enjoy Ball and King but wanted to listen to Chloe Moretz interview as well. Can't listen to Whiley as she only counts music that's recent as being credible and seems to think she's still 17.

I personally have a gripe and have no respect for her as broadcaster ever since presenting Glastonbury with.Mark Radcliffe when the Who played a superb set...rocked the crowd and on ending Radcliffe turned to her and said one of the greatest bands of all time surely? and Whiley just sniffed and said well you might say that I couldn't comment......

Whether you like them or not it was churlish and petty....perhaps she thought kings of Leon or or arctic monkeys were better....I don't know but as a music expert presenter I thought she showed herself up as trying to be cool and not liking the rock dinosaurs....forgetting she's not a teenager anymore and its ok her Facebook friends won t ridicule her on Monday in class for admitting it.... :p

Ho hum....each to their musical taste I know but I thought it music snobbery from a music journalist (& am biased being a huge Who fan) but I just can't hear her condescending tones.....

Back specifically to 5 live heard a bit of Nolan last night....pretty much same as usual....bit of left vs right etc... :)
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't enjoy Kevin Howells reading the football results. The delivery isn't consistent or smooth.

I don't think Charlotte Green will be a good replacement for James Alexander Gordon, but the fact the BBC chose her over somebody younger should be seen as proof of the declining reading standards at the BBC. Now all that matters is that people who read things can read. The way things are read doesn't matter as much as they did when James Alexander Gordon started reading the football results. Just listen to the 5 Live news. The news readers could be reading anything. It doesn't sound like news.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,056
    Forum Member
    Thanks Ads but the review podcast is something I believe only done for Kermode and Mayo. Unless they've added something on but I couldn't see anything I have to say.
    :)

No the podcast is done for their substitutes as well.

I think James King is a good substitute for Kermode but 5live haven't found a good replacement for Mayo yet - they have used Al Murray, Zoe Ball, Jo Wiley and Colin Patterson and none have been much good. Wiley was completely useless.

I might make myself unpopular here but maybe give Richard Bacon a chance to sub for Mayo alongside James King next time Mayo and Kermode are off?
    Forum Member

I think James King is a good substitute for Kermode but 5live haven't found a good replacement for Mayo yet - they have used Al Murray, Zoe Ball, Jo Wiley and Colin Patterson and none have been much good. Wiley was completely useless.

I might make myself unpopular here but maybe give Richard Bacon a chance to sub for Mayo alongside James King next time Mayo and Kermode are off?

James King not good enough
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thanks I'll have a look again ...well you may be making generally unpopular suggestion but I think you're onto something....gives continuity & he is into tv/film/media luvvi stuff....and I think he could be ok.....as long as he leaves Boyd Hilton in the Heat office where he belongs that is.... :)

Actually an ok addition would be that Danny bloke from Film programme....but without bringing Claudia Winkleman along with him (who I totally love for her cuteness & very very shiny hair) but she knows sod all about films.... :p

No....good call Ads, bacon and that guy would be an ok fill in..... :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny how I'm just moaning about Whiley not getting The Who and then I just happen across a brilliant Pete Townshend/Who documentary on BBC4......
    & who's a talking head on it?? ....

Kermode....big Who fan apparently....guess that's why I'm more in tune with him on the radio than Whiley then! ;)
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't particularly enjoy Ball and King but wanted to listen to Chloe Moretz interview as well. Can't listen to Whiley as she only counts music that's recent as being credible and seems to think she's still 17.

I personally have a gripe and have no respect for her as broadcaster ever since presenting Glastonbury with.Mark Radcliffe when the Who played a superb set...rocked the crowd and on ending Radcliffe turned to her and said one of the greatest bands of all time surely? and Whiley just sniffed and said well you might say that I couldn't comment......

Whether you like them or not it was churlish and petty....perhaps she thought kings of Leon or or arctic monkeys were better....I don't know but as a music expert presenter I thought she showed herself up as trying to be cool and not liking the rock dinosaurs....forgetting she's not a teenager anymore and its ok her Facebook friends won t ridicule her on Monday in class for admitting it.... :p

Ho hum....each to their musical taste I know but I thought it music snobbery from a music journalist (& am biased being a huge Who fan) but I just can't hear her condescending tones.....

Back specifically to 5 live heard a bit of Nolan last night....pretty much same as usual....bit of left vs right etc... :)

Did he mention it's his 40th birthday coming up ? :yawn:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see the BBC are busy removing comments once again from their facebook page. Censorship lives.

We were discussing Katie Hopkins and yet another of her 'appearances' on the station and lo and behold...... there the comments were.....gone.
  • SJM978SJM978 Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    Solheim Cup Golf from 7:30PM tonight. I will not be listening. Golf is NOT a sport, it is a worthless pastime. Get rid.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    i find SJM978s post to be worthless.

get rid.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SJM978 wrote: »
    Solheim Cup Golf from 7:30PM tonight. I will not be listening. Golf is NOT a sport, it is a worthless pastime. Get rid.

It's been great the last two nights on Sports Extra.

Glad it's getting a wider audience tonight.
This discussion has been closed.