What things or activities should be cheaper in price?

rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
Forum Member
✭✭
I reckon the cost of cinema tickets should be lower. it is about £20-25 for two people to go and see a film.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Swimming. Taking the kids to the local pool costs a bomb. Yet they encourage people to be more active.

£16! it cost me to take my two children in the summer holidays.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Swimming. Taking the kids to the local pool costs a bomb. Yet they encourage people to be more active.

That is an excellent point! The price of doing things that are considered healthy and active' are very expensive. It is like the price of quality fruit. Banana's are still quite cheap but others like certain types of apples, not to mention the exotic, are very expensive.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Getting animals spayed. It's something like £78 to have a cat done. Then they complain about being overrun by strays.
    Also, other routine necessary animal treatment like worming. Should be cheap as chips, so the animal doesn't suffer when their owners can't afford to pay.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My sons climbing sessions he goes to each week at the local leisure centre. £12 a time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think everyone should have free use of a swimming pool. Why do we have to pay to swim in a pool? Does it cost that much to maintain it? The councils make enough cash out of us why can't they afford to give us free pools to swim in? In order to encourage more activity and people getting fit and not obese why not let everyone swim for free at their locals pools?
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would go to football matches if they were around a tenner. I would also drink better quality alcohol if it was cheaper too.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pjw1985 wrote: »
    I think everyone should have free use of a swimming pool. Why do we have to pay to swim in a pool? Does it cost that much to maintain it? The councils make enough cash out of us why can't they afford to give us free pools to swim in? In order to encourage more activity and people getting fit and not obese why not let everyone swim for free at their locals pools?

Kids used to swim free at the pools where I live. Then it all changed when the Tories got in. :rolleyes:
  • TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would go to football matches if they were around a tenner. I would also drink better quality alcohol if it was cheaper too.

You pay for quality :p
  • DrFlowDemandDrFlowDemand Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rfonzo wrote: »
    I reckon the cost of cinema tickets should be lower. it is about £20-25 for two people to go and see a film.

This, especially if it's 3D.
  • jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member

Rail tickets would be one thing.
  • Dannielle_HowelDannielle_Howel Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

First one I thought off! It costs £10 for a person my age (20) too go swimming for an hour in our "new" (It's been there for two years and replaced an old one) swimming center. What's funny is that it's literally a 5 minute walk from a bloody beach....

Also, the cinema £7.20 too see a movie? and and extra £7.00 for a small box of popcorn! Nope, rip off!
  • towerstowers Posts: 12,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find it odd that we have to pay for tiolet paper but not carrier bags - currently anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fizgig wrote: »
    Getting animals spayed. It's something like £78 to have a cat done. Then they complain about being overrun by strays.
    Also, other routine necessary animal treatment like worming. Should be cheap as chips, so the animal doesn't suffer when their owners can't afford to pay.

Vet fees are over-priced, dentist fees even more so. My mum was charged £700 to have treatment on a tooth, she opted to have it out instead.

Apparently it takes longer to qualify as a vet than a Doctor, so I can understand vets charging a significant amount for operations but not as much as they do for a 5 minute visit.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    Printer ink cartridges.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Arcana wrote: »
    Printer ink cartridges.

This. And cinema tickets as OP says. If it was £2.50, they'd be packed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    This. And cinema tickets as OP says. If it was £2.50, they'd be packed.

That's too cheap and hardly comparable to spending money on tiolet paper or £700 on one dental treatment.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member

pjw1985 wrote: »

Swimming lessons should be cheaper or even free to
  • Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    Miss XYZ wrote: »
    My sons climbing sessions he goes to each week at the local leisure centre. £12 a time.

Woah! Where's that at?

At my local climbing centre, which is a very good one at that, is £30 for your induction, then £3 every session after that
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    I've always thought that tampons or sanitary towels should be free.
    It's not as if we have a choice in the matter is it?
    Forum Member
    I've always thought that tampons or sanitary towels should be free.
    It's not as if we have a choice in the matter is it?

What about food and drink? We all need to eat and drink to live don't we?
  • Watcher #1Watcher #1 Posts: 9,043
    Forum Member

Crickey, where do you go? I can get a family of 5 to see a film for that :eek:

Train tickets are the one for me - it should cost less to make a long journey by train than it does to drive, even factoring VED , servicing and insurance (I reckon that's about £5 a day for me) and petrol.
  • KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member

You can usually quite easily see a film for a fiver if you take advantages of things like unlimited cards, orange Wednesdays or early bird offers etc.

Even so, I still think £10 to see a film is in no way expensive compared to other things that will keep you entertained for 2-3 hours.

Train tickets and public transport in general is completely overpriced in this country compared to most places in Europe. It's embarrassing how bad it is compared to the Dutch, Swiss or German systems.
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vehicle servicng/repairs, especially bodywork repairs.
    Petrol/diesel.
    Car insurance.
    Forum Member
    Car insurance.

6 years ago back when I was 18, when I finally got my first car the cheapest insurance was around the £1100 marker, for a 1.2 corsa, I wouldn't be able to afford to insure my car if I was a new young 18 year old driver today, not unless I raided the Parents bank, £2500-£3000 is about the norm for new young drivers today.
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    what people fail to realise is the biggest cost in most businesses is rent and rates labour

add to that is public liability insurance it costs hundreds just to open the door

so of a £8 cinema ticket £6 could be rent rates insurance the staff cost etc etc

its a bit like when people bleat about car insurance for 17 years old being £2000

eg "oh the car was only £500 why is it £2000"

well its not the cost of the car numpty its who you hit it could be a £250000 ferarri or

they could be crippled and need life care of millions

and accident rates is a bathtub curve

17-20 are probably 10 times more likely to crash

so our cop en say shun culture costs