Shooting at Paris satirical magazine office

Comments

• AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bollywood wrote: »
    Islam as it is practiced in Western companies.

Here is an example:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/29/progressive-muslims-launch-gay-friendly-women-led-mosques_n_1368460.html

Progressive mosques that are gay friendly with women leaders.

Mosques with Sunni and Shiite under one roof.

Quite different from what has been linked to here as representative of Islam and 'the Muslims.'

From the first few paragraphs:
    . While far from accepted by mainstream clerics(..)
    This is not the norm for most of the 2.6 million-strong American Islamic community, accustomed to centuries-old traditions of gender relations and houses of worship that tend to draw primarily from a single ethnic group.
    We can't move forward as a society, as a faith system, if we subscribe to these old draconian ways of practicing Islam

Your example of 'Islam as it is practiced in Western societies' is, according to the article itself, an exception not the rule.
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member

Here is an example:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/29/progressive-muslims-launch-gay-friendly-women-led-mosques_n_1368460.html

Quite different from what has been linked to here as representative of Islam and 'the Muslims.'

That is not Islam practiced in Western Countries. It is a very small, breakaway group of more enlightened Muslims in America.
  • bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Asmo wrote: »
    From the first few paragraphs:

Your example of 'Islam as it is practiced in Western societies' is, according to the article itself, an exception not the rule.

Probably so but it shows the direction that Islam is moving in.

I also gave an example of moderate Islam, as quoted here:

Therefore, a moderate Muslim recognizes that Prophet Muhammad promoted freedom of religion and speech for all mankind, without threat of punishment for blasphemy or apostasy. This is one reason why Ahmadi Muslims vehemently reject anti-blasphemy legislation and instead support both the First Amendment and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

I can give you a lot more examples, if you want, of what Muslims here call Western Islam.
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'll let the freudian slip go
    Here is an example:

Quite different from what has been linked to here as representative of Islam.

well that's nice , y'see - that's the freedom they get from practising their religion in a secular country .

they're not all like that one tho .

• tour de forcetour de force Posts: 4,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Throughout this thread it is "the Muslims" though, and I will show you posts. There is not distinction made between radical and moderate.

And even ignorance that there are Western Muslims.

I await, with barely concealed indifference, your evidence of posters branding all Muslims as radicals.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably so but it shows the direction that Islam is moving in.

I also gave an example of moderate Islam, as quoted here:

Therefore, a moderate Muslim recognizes that Prophet Muhammad promoted freedom of religion and speech for all mankind, without threat of punishment for blasphemy or apostasy. This is one reason why Ahmadi Muslims vehemently reject anti-blasphemy legislation and instead support both the First Amendment and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

I can give you a lot more examples, if you want, of what Muslims here call Western Islam.

sounds great , islam in western / secular countries , seems to be moving in much more the right direction than the 'old' countries , if I can call them that . Ever wonder why that is - could it be something to do with our freedoms like freedom of speech , the right to question authority / institutions etc. to think and question .
    something dogmatic versions of Islam just have to stamp out . See where I'm going ?

• Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dekaf wrote: »
    That is not Islam practiced in Western Countries. It is a very small, breakaway group of more enlighted Muslims in America.

If only there were more of them. :(

Meanwhile in the UK more and more mainstream muslims seem to be going backwards not forwards in the extent to which they follow the the Quran and all of it's more primitive and unpleasant tenets.

This is an unmitigated disaster for a 21st century secular democracy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I await, with barely concealed indifference, your evidence of posters branding all Muslims as radicals.

It would be only fair, otherwise everyone is smeared.
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    [/B]

If only there were more of them. :(

Meanwhile in the UK more and more mainstream muslims seem to be going backwards not forwards in the extent to which they follow the the Quran and all of it's more primitive and unpleasant tenets.

This is an unmitigated disaster for a 21st century secular democracy.

I agree and share your frustration. What have our 'Leaders' done to this country.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dekaf wrote: »
    I agree and share your frustration. What have our 'Leaders' done to this country.

Well they are certainly doing bugger all to tackle the problem apart from the usual bullshit about the 'religion of peace' from Cameron.

When anybody with more than a few functioning neurons can see by it's very nature that Islam is precisely the opposite.

I feel sorry for those (especially women) born in a democracy who are then brainwashed at an early age into such a belief system - and they have no choice to practice it as they can never leave either. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

When posters say "the Muslims" and do not distinguish between radical and moderate, in fact imply that those who follow the Quran accept the violent verses as fact, because it is the living word of Allah, and cite Sunni Islam in links, and Hanafi Islam, and Islam as it is practiced in KSA, without distinquishing what most or many French Muslims actually believe, practice, or are taught.

That would be too many posts to go back over.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sounds great , islam in western / secular countries , seems to be moving in much more the right direction than the 'old' countries , if I can call them that . Ever wonder why that is - could it be something to do with our freedoms like freedom of speech , the right to question authority / institutions etc. to think and question .
    something dogmatic versions of Islam just have to stamp out . See where I'm going ?

At the same time we frown on making inflammatory statements about other religions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When posters say "the Muslims" and do not distinguish between radical and moderate, in fact imply that those who follow the Quran accept the violent verses as fact, because it is the living word of Allah, and cite Sunni Islam in links, and Hanafi Islam, and Islam as it is practiced in KSA, without distinquishing what most or many French Muslims actually believe, practice, or are taught.

Have a wee go.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

no , I'm afraid on this occasion bolly is right , have a look at this rather shocking exchange back on page 193:
    Aftershow wrote: »
    Executing people for drawing something you don't like is a "social value"?

Wow.
    Yes of course it is for islamic cultures.

That everyone is aware of unless they have been living under a rock.

And that Hebdo was well aware of as they had police protection.

Forum Member
    ✭✭
    no , I'm afraid on this occasion bolly is right , have a look at this rather shocking exchange back on page 193:

I went to effort to clairfy my view in many posts though.

And to distinguish between radical and non-radical islam.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You seemed to suggest you had some in mind.
    Throughout this thread it is "the Muslims" though, and I will show you posts. There is not distinction made between radical and moderate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Asmo wrote: »
    You seemed to suggest you had some in mind.

I already quoted them if you look back, though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I already quoted them if you look back, though.

You want me to go trawling back through a 220+ page thread to find evidence for an assertion you made and said you'd show evidence of?
  • sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I said I'm not posing as a scholar.

Are you posing as a scholar?

batgirl doesn't have to POSE as one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D

What a pot-ly kettle-y illustration that is !
  • DinkyDoobieDinkyDoobie Posts: 17,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Stop talking shite, if you are going to quote things I did don't put words at the start I never said.

Who are you even talking about?

Are you just making things up and having a conversation with yourself because i haven't got a bloody clue what you are talking about, you just say random things.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But denying that Islam, or "that corpus of texts and ideas that we have sacralized over the centuries" (al-Sisi), is part of the problem is just as bad as pretending it isn't.
    Originally Posted by exlordlucan

NOT at all, the majority (in the West) do not wear robes and those that do are more likely to be the militant ones such as seen with this shower of shite in Luton
    academia

Islamists are the enemy of diversity everywhere in the world

There are dozens of posts, that was just on the first pages I was on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sutie wrote: »
    batgirl doesn't have to POSE as one.

Then she should have known what Western Islam is.

And that there is a practical difference between radicalized Islam and non-radicalized, even if some try to deny it.

Perhaps she is referring to the stereotype of Islam from 30 years ago?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stop talking shite, if you are going to quote things I did don't put words at the start I never said.

Who are you even talking about?

Are you just making things up and having a conversation with yourself because i haven't got a bloody clue what you are talking about, you just say random things.

I said "when posters say." And all those things have been said.

Why did you link to Hanafi related to Algeria then?
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Quite. Just another example of the hypocrisy which pervades so many of bolly's posts.