food you've never tried...?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 226
Forum Member
just wondering if there's a food that people seem to love, but that you've never tried? as a fussy eater, here are some of mine..

beetroot
brocolli
cauliflower
prawns
any shellfish
brown sauce
salad cream
tomatoes
brussell sprouts
black pudding
aubergines

plus loads more but i can't think..

Comments

• seal bseal b Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Black pudding.
    Goose.
    Rabbit.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hadn't tried blue cheese until last night when I suddenly realised it's delicious and I have missed out over the years !

Quite a few things I haven't tried I guess but I usually give anything a try once, only thing I really can't imagine on my plate is tripe - I cook it for the dogs and the smell is enough to melt your eyebrows :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    neither had goose or rabbit either. all i've had is your average cow or pig or chicken. i dont even eat sheep.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll taste most things that I've not had before but can't bring myself to try whitebait yet OH loves it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 226
    Forum Member
    I'll taste most things that I've not had before but can't bring myself to try whitebait yet OH loves it.

i'm not even sure what that is? i don't know what tripe is either.

slightly off topic but if you've never tried it before, i recommend apple and tuna pasta. amazing.
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    I hadn't tried blue cheese until last night when I suddenly realised it's delicious and I have missed out over the years !

Welcome to a wonderful world........

For me:

Chestnuts (ironic with the other thread)
    Oysters
    Roast beetroot - meant to be lovely. Haven't had that awful salad staple pickled beetroot since leaving the parental home
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Olives
    Tripe

I eat most things to be honest, but i have never fancied olives. I went out for a posh lunch the other day, and olives were ordered to eat with the drinks before we sat down. Everyone was oooohhh'ing and arrrrhhhhh'ing over them, but i just didnt fancy them at all.
  • Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,621
    Forum Member
    Porcupine wrote: »
    Olives
    Tripe

I eat most things to be honest, but i have never fancied olives. I went out for a posh lunch the other day, and olives were ordered to eat with the drinks before we sat down. Everyone was oooohhh'ing and arrrrhhhhh'ing over them, but i just didnt fancy them at all.

I've never tried Tripe & Olives myself.

I've tried Seafood, even after a bite, i normally throw it back up.:cry:although i can eat Cod/Haddock without throwing up.
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    caviar.
  • rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never tried Tripe & Olives myself.

I've tried Seafood, even after a bite, i normally throw it back up.:cry:although i can eat Cod/Haddock without throwing up.

Tripe & Olives?, A recipe for you :eek:

http://www.sbs.com.au/food/recipe/8756/Slow_cooked_tripe_with_olives_ox_heart_tomatoes_and_preserved_lemon/
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Loads. It would be hard to start naming them and probably impossible to stop.
  • TommyGavin76TommyGavin76 Posts: 17,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand why you would never have tried something. How do you know you don't like it if you've never tasted it?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    missrae wrote: »
    i'm not even sure what that is? i don't know what tripe is either.

slightly off topic but if you've never tried it before, i recommend apple and tuna pasta. amazing.

Wwhitebait are very small herring, about 3-5 cms. Usually coated with flour and deep fried. I had them last year for the first time and they are delicious. You eat them whole.
    Tripe is the stomach lining of a cow and is vile.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I don't understand why you would never have tried something. How do you know you don't like it if you've never tasted it?
    Some food you see on programs or hear about but never get to try. It's not always just because you won't try.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Some food you see on programs or hear about but never get to try. It's not always just because you won't try.

I'm sure that can't be the case with the person who has alledgedly never tried tomatoes, broccoli or brown sauce. My son has a shorter list than the OP and he's not even 6 yet.
  • queenshaksqueenshaks Posts: 10,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seal b wrote: »
    Black pudding.
    Goose.
    Rabbit.

All these plus pork products.
  • petral_galpetral_gal Posts: 1,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with Tripe, I just can't bring myself to try it!!

Black pudding is lovely, as soon as you taste it you forget all about the pigs blood / offal stuff :D especially in a buttered roll with a tattie scone :)

My list is...
    caviar (purely because i've never had the chance to try it)
    lobster (see above, but i'm sure i'll bloody love it)

There's bound to be more, but given the opportunity i'd try (almost) anything!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My mum often cooks tripe and butter bean curry, derived from Mauritius.

My dad loves it cos it means he can fart a lot....not from the tripe from the beans!:D

Here's a link if anyone fancies a go....http://www.celtnet.org.uk/recipes/miscellaneous/fetch-recipe.php?rid=misc-carri-tripes-gros-pois
  • currykevcurrykev Posts: 1,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've tried most things, and as you become older you may come to love things you despised.
    I love seafood, especially moules.....
    But.I will never try an oyster. Never!
  • petral_galpetral_gal Posts: 1,051
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    currykev wrote: »
    But.I will never try an oyster. Never!

I tried an oyster for the first time ever this year, and I loved it!! Lots of lemon juice and a but of tabasco sauce and chew it down! Nom nom nom :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    queenshaks wrote: »
    All these plus pork products.

Wot, no bacon:eek::D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wot, no bacon:eek::D

Nope!
  • parsleyisfunparsleyisfun Posts: 4,164
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tripe
    Liver
    Pigeon
    Olives
    Onion
    Mushroom
    Black Pudding
    Oysters
    Veal, tripe, venison, all that kind of stuff.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Octopus...and most meats
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Octopus...and most meats

My mum makes a mean Mauritian octopus curry!