Why are shop staff so miserable at Christmas?

newda898newda898 Posts: 5,465
Forum Member
Why do they all have faces of thunder at this time of year?

Just been to Tesco and they all look miserable as anything?

They should be happy, getting in the Christmas spirit and atmosphere.

(Sits back and waits for a bite)

Comments

• bossoftheworldbossoftheworld Posts: 4,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where I live the Tesco staff in the petrol station bit are always miserable looking, don't say morning, please, thank you or anything. So it's nothing to do with Christmas.
  • thisthis Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    Basically because hundreds of horrid animals with a sense of entitlement, clinging desperatly to "The customer is always right" will enter their store.

When the day is done the aforementioned animals will have left the place in a right mess like they've never heard of a bin/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    perhaps they are on workfare? (boycott companies who use workfare!)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    this wrote: »
    Basically because hundreds of horrid animals with a sense of entitlement, clinging desperatly to "The customer is always right" will enter their store.

When the day is done the aforementioned animals will have left the place in a right mess like they've never heard of a bin/

This.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

"the customer is always right" usually said by someone who watches Watchdog or listens to Martin Lewis on the radio and now thinks they are a fully qualified consumer lawyer!
  • thisthis Posts: 296
    Forum Member
    I used to work in retail, i liked it:o but some people. Now i don't work in retail but when i go shopping they are all around ya, mum with kid in trolley munching away on food they've not bought, someone complaining there's only one item left on a buy one get one free.

Its enough to put you off yer dinner horrible the lot of 'em:D
  • NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    I think the main reasons have already been mentioned, rude/inconsiderate customers, the idiots who think it's somehow acceptable to eat stuff in the store before paying for it (if I ran a store I'd have a sign warning that anyone found doing that would be banned), the fact that at this time of year they're likely heavily overworked/have little time to relax at all.

And what would be the main one for me.
    The back end of 4-12 weeks of the same Christmas themed music, on a loop.

I'm sort of surprised that there aren't more retail staff who go postal this time of year, I suspect I'd go nuts from it.
  • Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The stores should do something about it. It spoils the shopping experience for the rest of us, especially if it makes some staff miserable. I would like the big supermarkets to start banning obnoxious people, like those who use their mobiles at the checkout or swear.

I haven't been shopping but will be doing the main shop on Boxing day due to the bargains you can get. Hopefully the miserable staff will be happier being on triple time (or whatever).
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Putting up with miserable moaning customers all day, would be enough to get anyone down.
  • paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    I walked out of Currys/PC World yesterday without the things I wanted as for some reason they didn't have anyone on the tills , it may seem a strange concept to some in retail but if they want my money they should at least make some effort
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't be them for what they get paid, I try tipping
    I heard a vile woman the other day threatening a wee girl with the sack... the girl was nearly in tears and I asked the woman to leave the shop as she was upsetting the customers... don't know why the Manager didn't do the same
  • An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    If I was hearing Have yourself a Merry little Christmas et al for the umpteenth time I think my ho ho ho would have turned to pah humbug.

Poor sods. It drives me insane for the hour or so it takes to do the routine shop. It must be torture to the poor staff.
  • SpouthouseSpouthouse Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was in M&S this morning and happened to queue at the wrong end when paying. The poor chap behind the till looked absolutely petrified when he asked me to join the end of the queue. It was my fault so I wasn't at all bothered, but I imagine he was expecting a mouth full of abuse. I bet a lot of customers are vile at this time of year.
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    newda898 wrote: »
    Why do they all have faces of thunder at this time of year?

Just been to Tesco and they all look miserable as anything?

They should be happy, getting in the Christmas spirit and atmosphere.

(Sits back and waits for a bite)

More pressurised at Christmas, having to deal with impatient and bad tempered members of the public etc ?
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Basically because hundreds of horrid animals with a sense of entitlement, clinging desperatly to "The customer is always right" will enter their store
    This.

This x 2. With knobs on.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, long hours for crap money being in contact with dipshit Joe Public, the way to improve that equation is by increasing the forced jollity.

At this time of year I'm surprised there aren't more breakdowns in aisle 4, frankly.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Putting up with miserable moaning customers all day, would be enough to get anyone down.

Plus working in a shop with Christmas music playing on a continuous loop.

Plus thinking they would rather be at home or down the pub.

I've worked in shops over the Christmas and New Year period and it used to drive me insane.

So, if you really have to go into a shop over the next few days (and I'm avoiding it as much as possible) then just remember a smile and some good manners as they don't cost a thing.
  • Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because we are sick of the Christmas songs on loop
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    They work retail. They work retail at Christmas. These people deserve medals in my humble opinion. Forget help for heroes, these guys are the true braves on the front line of consumerism gone barmy. Chill out people. It's just another con to get your money out of your back pocket and into the big corporations annual pre-tax profit statement.
  • SpotSpot Posts: 25,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In the case of Tesco, I'm sure there's an added worry of what might happen to their jobs in the longer term. I'm sure the stores will be busy enough in the few days before Christmas, but on the odd occasion I've been in one in the last couple of months it has been eerily quiet - rather pleasant from a customer point of view but I'll bet there are some difficult times ahead for the business.
  • EiraEira Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Retail at Christmas. I did it once. Never ever again. Ever. Its horrible. Miserable work for not particularly good money. The comapanies want to maximise profit so they never have enough staff on, meaning those who are working are unbearably busy, many not getting anything like a proper break or a lunch break. And that's before we even get to the same Christmas music on a loop for months on end and the vile customers. Worst job I've ever had, you need the patience of a saint.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spot wrote: »
    In the case of Tesco, I'm sure there's an added worry of what might happen to their jobs in the longer term. I'm sure the stores will be busy enough in the few days before Christmas, but on the odd occasion I've been in one in the last couple of months it has been eerily quiet - rather pleasant from a customer point of view but I'll bet there are some difficult times ahead for the business.
    I hear profits were only £3.3bn (or was it £3 bn?)
    Sack those staff!
  • Marie4evaMarie4eva Posts: 1,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to town today and people were generally miserable. A lot of shoving and barging. Plus some stores really needed to change the music.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just wish those who were unhappy in retail would just leave.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have not noticed any misery.