My Cat needs dental treatment...

CANDYANGELCANDYANGEL Posts: 21,089
Forum Member
✭✭✭
She has slight gingivitis and will need to be put under and have her teeth cleaned and possibly one taken out :(. The estimate cost is £140 and there is no way I have this money in one go. I know someone's gonna say well if you can't afford treatment for a pet then don't have one. Maybe I should quit my job and live off benefits and I'd get help that way. My cat is insured but I'm not sure if this comes under it and I know insurance companies do all they can to avoid paying out. I could afford installments maybe. I know I have to have it done for her but I know I'm gonna struggle paying it.

Comments

• CANDYANGELCANDYANGEL Posts: 21,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's with Argos insurance and I don't think they cover dental treatment. The vet also mentioned something about me putting a gel on her yet they never gave me this gel when I left. I'm really confused.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    A friend of mine used to take his dog to the Blue Cross. They sometimes help with treatment for low waged people caught in a poverty trap.

It would be good if they had an NHS for pets after all they ae family.

I suppose you get also ask for a overdraft at the bank or ask to pay the bill in installments due to the credit crunch?
  • PufflePuffle Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Firstly I'd speak to your insurance company - they probably will pay for the tooth extraction and might also pay for the gingivitis. My cats were insured with PetPlan and they paid out for my cat to have his teeth out. I don't think they'll pay for the teeth cleaning BUT it might help some if they'll pay for the extraction.

Secondly talk to your vets, they might let you set up a payment plan and if it's not an urgent operation (ie your cat can still eat) then they might let you pay some towards it before doing the op and then the rest afterwards.

Also, take a look at petplanet.co.uk - they have a product called plaqueoff that might help with her problem.
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    It's petsmile month - this may be of help - http://www.petsmile.org/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I phoned the vets up and she explained more about the procedure and that if it was booked in September I'd get a 25% discount, which will help. I know to get it done now is best in the long run for my cat but I'm so scared of her going under and not coming back, she's only three and my little baby. I'll either put it on my credit card which is cleared anyway so it won't be adding on to it or use my overdraft. I'm gonna book her in cos I know it's for her benefit.
  • SonyJunkieSonyJunkie Posts: 1,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My cat cost me nearly £400 to have a tooth out!!

The vet did quote about £180 but once all the other bits and bobs were added in (i.e. blood test, pills, injection, physical etc.) it jumped to £400.
  • LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    Firstly I would see the vet again and ask more questions. Some vets recommend a dental clean much too readily IMO - 'slight gingivitis' does not sound like an urgent case at all.

Whilst it is important to keep their teeth and gums in good condition, I would certainly not put my cat through a general anaesthetic for slight gingivitis. If she needs an extraction that's a different ball game - the insurance co should certainly pay for that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She said her teeth would be cleaned and one would be taken out. I have an estimate but it just says Dental procedure and then additional time added on nothing specific but that's what's on the notes made today. I was taking my cat in for her annual boosters and now she's gotta have this done.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SonyJunkie wrote: »
    My cat cost me nearly £400 to have a tooth out!!

The vet did quote about £180 but once all the other bits and bobs were added in (i.e. blood test, pills, injection, physical etc.) it jumped to £400.

Can they add all that one without telling you, I mean without pre-warning you that it may end up a lot higher than the estimate. I couldn't cope with an amount that high even montly installments would stretch me financially. I'm worried now that if I don't have this done , her teeth will get worse and she'll end up in pain and it will cost me more.
    Forum Member
    If the extraction is urgent, and is the main reason for the procedure, your insurance should pay out. You need to clarify it further with your vet.
  • ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally, I wouldn't mess about with gingivitis. Admittedly, my cat had a bad case when she was about 2, and ended up having to have all her teeth extracted, bar the very front ones.

Have a chat with the vet, and explain your concerns. Do you have a good relationship with them? They might consider installments, but it would be best for you to have a chat with them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've already phoned them up today and gotten more info about it and felt more ok with it. What other things could I phone up and ask them?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lippincote wrote: »
    If the extraction is urgent, and is the main reason for the procedure, your insurance should pay out. You need to clarify it further with your vet.

They said it should be done in the next month or so, I have to wait two weeks to book her in because she had her boosters today.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Candyangel - have you actually called your insurance company yet ? I havent seen anywhere on here where you have said you have.

Before worrying and stressing, get the facts. You might well be suprised. Call the insurance company, explain what you know with a rough costing, and they will be able to tell you what is / isn't covered.

I would be suprised if it isnt covered. Thats what insurance is for.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I haven't called them but on the Argos website it says Dental Treatment isn't covered unless it's an accident. I'll have a look through the policy documents later and then phone if theres no info. I feel guilty that I have a cat and can't afford treatment for her, not without seriously thinking about it etc and also that she has bad gums in the first place.
    Forum Member
    I have never had a cat who didn't need a dental clean, they all get crummy gums, some are worse than others. No point stressing over it, as Porcupine says find out the facts and go from there.

My point about 'clarifying' it with your vet is that if the vet's report says that the extraction is the main reason for the procedure, the insurance co will possibly pay for the whole thing. I don't know of any insurance co that will pay for a dental clean/scrape, but some will pay for extractions. My tortoiseshell got a 'clean' paid for by Pet Protect because it was done at the same time as a necessary extraction. It depends upon how your vet describes the exact nature of the treatment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My main worry is that the cost will just go way higher than the estimate, I know I can get the money together for the estimate cost but not any higher and then what will I do. I'm also worried about the op itself and my poor cat being alone and something happening to her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is why I suggested talking to your vet and explain the situation. They might be able to do it for a pre-arranged confirmed price or if the bill does go up dramatically, they may allow you to pay what you can at the time, and carry the rest over to the following month/months. There is no harm in asking them, I'm sure they will come to some arrangement with you. They will also be able to give you some idea as to whether the insurance will cover it.

Your cat will be absolutely fine. She won't be under the anaesthetic for long and will be quite groggy whilst in the vets so won't really care where she will be, she will just want to sleep. Be prepared for the mother of all huffs when she comes home though. Cats have an uncanny nack of making sulking an art form.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do I really have a choice as to whether she has it done or not? I know that sounds bad and I have resigned myself to the fact that she does need it and I will have to get the money together. I have to wait two weeks anyway and have to see when my next day off is and then I'll phone again and ask some questions. I don't want to phone too much. I feel sick with worry over the cost :(, I just can't cope with it. Maybe I should never have gotten a pet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try not to worry about it too much. I don't know if she really needs this treatment, I can only assume because your vet has recommended it, that she does. I also don't know the urgency of it. Maybe if it isn't too urgent, your vet could put it off for another couple of months, until you get the money together, I don't know. These are things to discuss with the vet. Sometimes the longer you leave things though, the worse they become and ultimately turn out more expensive. It's part and parcel of pet ownership I'm afraid, unexpected vet bills.

You could always get a second opinion from another vet, or ring around and get some ball park figures for the same treatment and see if it can be done cheaper elsewhere. I'm sorry I don't know what else to suggest. :confused: I hope you didn't mean your last sentence. As pet owners we have a duty of care towards our pets. All things aside, her diagnosis, treatment and cost could be a lot worse.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ejm wrote: »
    Try not to worry about it too much. I don't know if she really needs this treatment, I can only assume because your vet has recommended it, that she does. I also don't know the urgency of it. Maybe if it isn't too urgent, your vet could put it off for another couple of months, until you get the money together, I don't know. These are things to discuss with the vet. Sometimes the longer you leave things though, the worse they become and ultimately turn out more expensive. It's part and parcel of pet ownership I'm afraid, unexpected vet bills.

You could always get a second opinion from another vet, or ring around and get some ball park figures for the same treatment and see if it can be done cheaper elsewhere. I'm sorry I don't know what else to suggest. :confused: I hope you didn't mean your last sentence. As pet owners we have a duty of care towards our pets. All things aside, her diagnosis, treatment and cost could be a lot worse.

I've been thinking about that and realising that I am lucky and she has otherwise been given a clean bill of health and this isn't serious. I'm gonna phone the vet again tomorrow or this week anyway and ask a few more questions.
  • crazychris12crazychris12 Posts: 26,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is any of your family on any benefits? If so just say it's their cat and it's free at the PDSA if you take proof of benefit. They have qualified vets and you won't pay a penny except give a donation of whatever you can afford.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is any of your family on any benefits? If so just say it's their cat and it's free at the PDSA if you take proof of benefit. They have qualified vets and you won't pay a penny except give a donation of whatever you can afford.

I appreciate Candyangel's financial situation, but that really hacks me off I'm afraid. The PDSA isn't there to be taken advantage of. It's there for people on benefits. We could all cheat the system one way or another, and where would that leave the PDSA and the genuine people that need it.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    ejm wrote: »
    I appreciate Candyangel's financial situation, but that really hacks me off I'm afraid. The PDSA isn't there to be taken advantage of. It's there for people on benefits. We could all cheat the system one way or another, and where would that leave the PDSA and the genuine people that need it.

If vet bills were cheaper, there would be no need but sadly if you are caught in a poverty trap, then you have to be crafty to survive.

Vets should lower their bills, especially in a recession.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If vet bills were cheaper, there would be no need but sadly if you are caught in a poverty trap, then you have to be crafty to survive.

Vets should lower their bills, especially in a recession.

thats ok if you live in a pdsa catchment area:mad: