At last a great dog walking session!

technology_lovetechnology_love Posts: 3,172
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My 11 month old lab Bobby can be rather energetic when I take her for a walk. I've had a few hairy incidents where she's jumped up on a child and bowled them over in excitement in the past.

This has resulted in all walks being on the lead with the occasional off lead session for a swim or if no one was around! Many a walk was ruined with her jumping up antics.

She did go to puppy school at three months but it seems she has hit her terrible teens.

The other day I took her for a walk at a large open field behind our local leisure center. I'd seen it as I drove past before and noticed it was fenced off and had several dog waste bins - perfect for pooches!

After I arrived I met up with about five people and their dogs - 5 labs, a Yorkie, an Alsation and a mixed breed mutt. They were all off lead and having a ball. I let my nutter off the lead and she proceeded to have the play session of her life!

She did jump on a few of the adults who didn't mind and just pushed her off. "Don't worry" they said, "she'll learn".

The group meets every day around 5pm at the field and does about 5 laps. The field is about the size of three football pitches). This takes a good 40-60 minutes. The dogs play, run and interact with each other and the people.

I was so impressed and excited that I've been back everyday!

Now my lab recognises them when we arrive and runs off to say hello without jumping up on anyone. She is absouletely shattered after each session and I know she will start losing some weight at this pace (she needs to drop about 5 kg).

I think she has learn't a lot from the "pack".
"They don't jump up so why should I"?

Even though I won't be letting her off lead at other locations it's really fantastic to find a group of dog walkers who love their animals so much. Joining in on their walks has made such a huge difference to my lab's behaviour.

Last night a girl aged about 9 or 10 came around the corner on this field with her mum and small dog. My lab took off to say hello to the girl. I braced myself for the jump............but it never came. Instead my lab stopped at her feet, licked her hand to say hello, wagged her tail as she got a pat and dashed off to join the other dogs. WOW! :D

I could not believe it! A real first. I'm so happy that there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm told she will improve more around 18-24 months - we'll see.

Ok, my little story is over, sorry if it sounds silly but walks are now becoming a real pleasure!

TL

Comments

• PufflePuffle Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's great to hear you've found a walking group that your gorgeous doggy fits into. I love labs and don't mind at all if they jump at me but unfortunately they think that EVERYONE loves them which isn't always the case.

Well done for persevering, I'm sure your girl will be all the better for it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    That sounds like a wonderful walking experience for both of you :)

It is great being able to let your dog run with and interact with others if possible. Plus it's refreshing to find a bunch of owners that are as easygoing as that.
  • technology_lovetechnology_love Posts: 3,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Puffle wrote: »
    It's great to hear you've found a walking group that your gorgeous doggy fits into. I love labs and don't mind at all if they jump at me but unfortunately they think that EVERYONE loves them which isn't always the case.

Well done for persevering, I'm sure your girl will be all the better for it

Thanks - this group works so well for us!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That sounds like a wonderful walking experience for both of you :)

It is great being able to let your dog run with and interact with others if possible. Plus it's refreshing to find a bunch of owners that are as easygoing as that.

I'm so pleased I found them. Relaxed and fun dog walking environment. I know my lab will still misbehave from time to time but this walking with so many other dogs has improved her behaviour tenfold. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 352
    Forum Member
    We have the same kind of thing going over my local park, Alfie loves rolling around with the other dogs and there is no chance of him running off what with all the entertainment he could ever want at his feet:D

Glad to hear Bobby is enjoying himself. It really gives you a good feeling inside that their happy doesn't it!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really is great letting your dog run round with others and having a good feeling that she won't jump on on anyone she meets.

Missed last nights walk but will be back today.
  • rosemaryrosemary Posts: 11,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm so pleased you've found a group like this, it makes it all so much more enjoyable, and its lovely taking home a dog who has had a lovely fun time with some friends..its suprising how quickly they learn things off the other dogs too :)

I'm hoping my Danny will be able to do the same one day, fingers crossed he seems to be heading in the right direction at last :)
  • merlinsmummerlinsmum Posts: 3,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm so jealous! :D It sounds like a great spot to let them mix. We are in a lovely area, on the coast with lots of dunes, but we have 2 German Shepherds and I take them out about 6.30 a.m. so I can let them have a run around. We do meet the odd local who will let their dog play, but if I go later there are loads of people about and the majority of them seem to have a 'thing' about Shepherds. So my older one has to stay on the extender lead.

They say the good things in life are free, there is nothing as nice as watching your dog have a really good run around and play.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats great news!...Labs are clever so she's learned from the other dogs....they are just the best breed...I could rave on about |Labradors all day!...please give Bobby a hug from me...and love to your wee boy too..bet he's growing fast!!