LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 29)

Comments

• orangeballoonorangeballoon Posts: 10,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i found lbcs coverage awful so i flipped over as fast as i went in.. each time i listened to a few minutes... the chemistry between the two was poor and they didnt seem to hear each other, with a lot of "errors" between them (eg at one point ID insisted on making a "clarification" on someone being or not being in the "better together camp" even though it was said correctly the first time... i just guess i was unlucky.. or lucky!

i switched to radio 4 - 5live...
    which to be honest was far from perfect.. they kept messing up with links (no one on the mic just the party noise... or to the count after the yes no was given, so only the return errors were heard... and then having to wait for someone to work out which count it was they had cut to and to read out what they had missed..

i also switched on the tv and saw some of sky news, itv and bbc coverage. sky was jingoistic, itv was a bit dull, but baby bear's porridge, sorry, bbc was ott.. they had some guy with a load of 3d purple gradient shaded boxes representing "scottish-ness" by how much of their population was born there.. and then he walked across the studio to a virtual map of scotland that was between 2 floors (they were on the top floor) that flashed where that area was, before walking back to the middle of the space where some bar charts appeared he could walk around... all very gimmicky and 75% wasted time moving between the virtual charts rather than 75% of the time talking about them.

in conclusion they were all rubbish.. lets face it, they had 3.5 hours to talk about one of only 2 possible options being chosen before the first results came, and until dundee were all "small" places even after they started to be announced...

weird... i slept 9-10 hours 3 nights in a row.. i was bound to not be tired last night...
    now i have so much to do and be awake.. ahhh, im online in this forum! aghhhhh
  • BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    David Mellor was on fire this morning with the bitchy put-downs of the tory leadership. "You could wade through the depths of Dave Cameron's intellect without getting your feet wet"
  • gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He really doesn't like Dave, does he! :D
  • Hey_HoHey_Ho Posts: 2,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank God that's over.
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey_Ho wrote: »
    Thank God that's over.

Amen to that. I can get on with the ironing in peace. :D
  • James30James30 Posts: 5,196
    Forum Member
    clitheroe1 wrote: »
    Paul, you always seem to be the first to inform Steve of any celebrity deaths, including some obscure ones. What's your source?

Just what you need when you wake up, Stewie depressing you about someone's death.
    Forum Member
    JT2060 wrote: »
    I agree. I think they handled it very well. I watched the BBC at the same time and they were all over the place.

I missed David Dimbleby last night, Huw Edwards is too stuffy for me. Andrew Marr was on quite a bit last night, good to see him back on politics coverage after his stroke. I watched a bit of Sky, I knew before I switched over that Kay Burley would be on location yet again!

Listened to some LBC coverage and it went well I thought, it must be tricky filling time while waiting for results.
    Forum Member

Or William Hague "he might have been quite good if he'd managed his career properley".

He was on very good form, slagged pretty much everyone off with quite some relish. Tomorrow morning should be good.
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    Hopefully.Gary Barlow dosnt play this year.

Oh, he'll be there :D like a bad smell.
  • CayceCayce Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member

You've taken the words out of my mouth :D. Mellor has good taste in that department.
  • HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    Funny this. Since posting this morning #6621 I haven't received any email notifications of any post since then. Hmmmmm :confused:

And DS seem sluggish today. Must be the temperature and humidity or perhaps it doesn't like my new laptop and Windows 8.1.>:(
  • CayceCayce Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    Julia H-B in promoting teenagers to vote has just said to a caller, "My 7 year old little girl is more politically-engaged than some adults." Apparently she and her husband discuss politics at home a lot when the caller said he was dismayed by her child "genius." This has to be one the yuckiest, mumsy-wumsy boasts yet from her. Aaargh!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cayce wrote: »
    Julia H-B in promoting teenagers to vote has just said to a caller, "My 7 year old little girl is more politically-engaged than some adults." Apparently she and her husband discuss politics at home a lot when the caller said he was dismayed by her child "genius." This has to be one the yuckiest, mumsy-wumsy boasts yet from her. Aaargh!

Living with that mother, does the child have any option? I bet the kid is popular at at school.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank God that's over.

Hear hear.

Part of me was thinking prior to the referendum, "go on Scotland, I dare you!":o

Saying that, I never believed for one minute that they would.

They're too comfortable & when you're comfortable, why vote for potential uncertainty & instability?

I'm now glad it's over & I can get my radio & TV back!
  • MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HHGTTG wrote: »
    Funny this. Since posting this morning #6621 I haven't received any email notifications of any post since then. Hmmmmm :confused:

And DS seem sluggish today. Must be the temperature and humidity or perhaps it doesn't like my new laptop and Windows 8.1.>:(

I have had this problem for several weeks where the e-mails comingi ntermittently. I reported it to DS technical department they said that were perplexed and nobody else had reported it.

However, I changed my e-mail address and it started working again - until today when they stopped ! But ... suddenly just a few minutes ago a whole lot came in at one go !

(No other e-mails have been affected, and no dogs were harmed !!!!).
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Living with that mother, does the child have any option? I bet the kid is popular at at school.

There's a big difference between a child having an interest in politics in terms of what people do, and being "politically engaged". Children are interested in lots of things, doesn't mean that they understand enough to make an informed decision. Although I agree that a lot of adults don't either - if you give them a counter-argument, they just say "I don't believe it". You can't argue with that, but it's not a basis for sensible voting either.
    Forum Member

Surprised the kid has time for politics between educating her schoolmates on her healthy eating regime, ballet rehearsals and writing that concerto. :D
  • GORTONIANGORTONIAN Posts: 8,673
    Forum Member
    clitheroe1 wrote: »
    Paul, you always seem to be the first to inform Steve of any celebrity deaths, including some obscure ones. What's your source?

Just the. Usual DS news agencies and a bucketful of friends who run various. Film and tv forums
    As for James30's comment there are many people who will watch a film or tv show and think whatever happened to ??
    Unlike some who spent their youth plastered I actually watched and listened to things 😄

Slightly off topic Steve has talked a fair bit this week about the Granada Tooting
    For any fellow Mancunians or indeed any from down Sarf who are interested if you go to YouTube and type in Stanley Tudor Gaumont Manchester you will see a short film about Tootings little sister
    Our Granada with much the same features was sold to the Gaumont chain before it opened and had much the same features including a hall of mirrors
    You can also glimpse a young Jessie Matthews performing the opening ceremony
    The Bernsteins must have liked us as a few years later they came back and opened a little tv station
    Don't know what became of it though 😄
  • Charlie DrakeCharlie Drake Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GORTONIAN wrote: »
    Unlike some who spent their youth plastered I actually watched and listened to things 😄
    I've never been entirely convinced that those six activities are necessarily mutually exclusive! ;-)
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member

The cherub is already in line to take over from Iain Duncan Smith. It's a cert.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GORTONIAN wrote: »

You can also glimpse a young Jessie Matthews performing the opening ceremony
    The Bernsteins must have liked us as a few years later they came back and opened a little tv station
    Don't know what became of it though 😄

I can't believe that people ever actually spoke like that!
    Forum Member
    HHGTTG wrote: »

Probably the latter
    I purchased a new laptop with windows 8.1 installed and I cannot get on with it at all
    Hence my trusty iPhone for forum posts for 99% of the time
    Forum Member
    I can't believe that people ever actually spoke like that!

Echoes of Harry Enfields Mr Chalmondley Warners clipped English accents
  • gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Judging by a few comments here about the referendum, a pot of daffodils is more politically engaged than some adults.
  • connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    Haven't been on here for a LONG time. Listening to Nick Abbot 2night and he is on top form.
This discussion has been closed.