Youview

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 290
Forum Member
Hi

We're investigating launching the Youview (Humax) box this Autumn, either over our cable network or via aerial, to offer a choice to those who want basic channels plus OTT content.

Would be grateful for any thoughts?

David
Smallworld Cable

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What basic channels would be included,just freeview ones?
  • pepstarpepstar Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi

We're investigating launching the Youview (Humax) box this Autumn, either over our cable network or via aerial, to offer a choice to those who want basic channels plus OTT content.

David
    Smallworld Cable

Like your honesty and level of support... so if it was uk wide id be tempted!
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member
    Hi

David
    Smallworld Cable

It would be a good idea for your customers if this new Youview box supported both with the basic channels coming in via the aerial connection and the Pay TV and Premium channels coming from your Cable TV network

The specs you would need I would guess are these

DTT - DVB-T MPEG2 and DVB-T2 MPEG4
    CATV - DVB-C MPEG2 and DVB-C2 MPEG4
    Dolby Digital Sound
    HDMI 1.4 Connections
    Scart connections (optional)
    HDMI 1.4 Spec for the HDMI leads
    Ethernet Socket to connect to the internet or to people's routers/Power Line adapters
    DOCSIS 3.1 if you wanted to use the BBC's Connected Red Button service like Virgin's TiVo boxes
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    It would be a good idea for your customers if this new Youview box supported both with the basic channels coming in via the aerial connection and the Pay TV and Premium channels coming from your Cable TV network

The specs you would need I would guess are these

DTT - DVB-T MPEG2 and DVB-T2 MPEG4
    CATV - DVB-C MPEG2 and DVB-C2 MPEG4
    Dolby Digital Sound
    HDMI 1.4 Connections
    Scart connections (optional)
    HDMI 1.4 Spec for the HDMI leads
    Ethernet Socket to connect to the internet or to people's routers/Power Line adapters
    DOCSIS 3.1 if you wanted to use the BBC's Connected Red Button service like Virgin's TiVo boxes

Agree, though the key issue is the commercial side...we have been able to add channels to Youview, but there is a £500k pa fee to become a full partner so that we could add channels to the epg...this is a little prohibitive. It's also a little tricky to get channels to pick up series link.

Our thought is to launch the Humax box as an entry level box for those who want it ( probably at c. £18 / mth including 20 / or 25Mb broadband) with our new Motorola box becoming available with similar features but more channels around 6 months later for the larger packages...

We don't want people who decide they want a youview box for whatever reason deciding to go to TalkTalk or BT. And of course our broadband should mean the OTT works really well..

Dave
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi

David
    Smallworld Cable

It's a great, reliable box. It seems a sensible idea for you to use an off-the-shelf product like this one.
    If you were able to pipe in the YouView channels via the cable network that would probably make it harder for people to switch to competing suppliers and would also ensure reliableTV reception; I think some of your franchise area is in mountainous coinditions.
  • stuntmasterstuntmaster Posts: 5,070
    Forum Member
    youview is a good idea but at present getting pay channels to show in the main EPG is problematic.

talk talk aren't in the EPG either as they and bt are waiting for the next OS update to facilitate this. I would use just DVB-C/2 for the input though.

Can you not use microsoft mediaroom? a full enabled mediaroom can be an excellent product, BT made it underwhelmed with its vision service.

either that or a good ol linux STB. those are very configurable.
    Forum Member
    youview is a good idea but at present getting pay channels to show in the main EPG is problematic.

talk talk aren't in the EPG either as they and bt are waiting for the next OS update to facilitate this. I would use just DVB-C/2 for the input though.

Can you not use microsoft mediaroom? a full enabled mediaroom can be an excellent product, BT made it underwhelmed with its vision service.

either that or a good ol linux STB. those are very configurable.

I agree...its technically very doable, but Youview wasn't really designed with this in mind 2 years ago and so it is proving a little tricky to implement.

Our thought is just to use the Youview box as an entry level box, albeit with some great OTT stuff, and then launch a new middleware / box for the pay tv but that has a similar feel to Youview.

A little complicated, but there may be some people that in particular want a Youview box. I think that for a smaller operator such as ours, giving people a choice is probably a good idea? For example. I'm quite open to building Roku boxes or even Xbox One's into our monthly service. A bit like when you buy a mobile phone service and get a choice of device...

I'm floating it here 'cos I'm genuinely interested in what people think. It's an interesting time ahead...

Dave
    Smallworld
  • AyceAyce Posts: 1,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David - although I'm not sub my self I do think this sounds a good idea.... further more if you could enable your channels over any broadband connection that would bring you in to lots more homes meaning £500k becomes a bargain.

What ever you do you need to do it before other providers get traction and users get hooked in to other networks etc.

Terran
    Forum Member
    Ayce wrote: »
    David - although I'm not sub my self I do think this sounds a good idea.... further more if you could enable your channels over any broadband connection that would bring you in to lots more homes meaning £500k becomes a bargain.

What ever you do you need to do it before other providers get traction and users get hooked in to other networks etc.

Terran

Hi

Many thanks to everyone for their input - much appreciated!

David
    MD Smallworld Cable
  • Skylover4lifeSkylover4life Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi

Many thanks to everyone for their input - much appreciated!

David
    MD Smallworld Cable

If you launched UK wide and I could use my internet provider (120Mb) I would happily switch to Small World if the price and content was right. I love YouView it's a great platform.
  • Jameseh.Jameseh. Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    I'd imagine they'd have to redo many deals though, as Sky wouldn't be too happy with another UK-wide competitor, and the other broadcasters would want more money.

I'd avoid YouView personally. IPTV is definitely the future but YV isn't.