Options

Any JFK Shows Planned?

ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,849
Forum Member
I heard that there's loads going to be shown in the US, plus Oliver Stone's 1991 film is being released, but was wondering if anything would be done over here?

Comments

• Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Discovery are showing programmes about him, I saw the trailer/promo for it last night.
  • Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,947
    Forum Member
    Week of 9 to 15 Nov

ITV - Thu 10.35 to 11.50 The Day Kennedy Died

Channel 5 - Wed 9.00 to 10.00 JFK's Secret Killer

PBS America - Tue to Fri 9.00 to 10.15 (plus several repeats) JFK: The New Perspective (4 parts)

Nat Geo -
    Mon 8.00 JFK: The Lost Bullet 9.00 to 11.00 JFK: 7 Days That Made a President
    Tue 9.00 to 11.00 Killing Kennedy (Rob Lowe drama) (various repeats)
    Wed 9.00 to 11.00 JFK: The Final Hours

More 4 also has JFK: News of a Shooting next week (16 to 22 Nov)
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Discovery

November 17th 8pm JFK: The Lost Tapes

November 22nd 9pm Capturing Oswald

H2

November 23rd 9pm JFK Assasination - The Definitive Guide

November 24th 9pm Lee Harvey Oswald 48 Hours To Live

Nat Geo

November 11th 9pm JFK: Seven Days That Made A President

PBS America

November 22nd 7:30pm Cold Case JFK

There was an article about Lee Harvey Oswald's widow Marina in the Daily Mirror last week

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/real-life-stories/lee-harvey-oswalds-widow-marina-2667002
  • Options
    Nigel82Nigel82 Posts: 473
    Forum Member
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radio 4 did an excellent programme in The Reunion series, with many people who were involved in the event in various ways.

Worth listening to.
  • Options
    Young TurksYoung Turks Posts: 3,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Discovery

November 17th 8pm JFK: The Lost Tapes

November 22nd 9pm Capturing Oswald

H2

November 23rd 9pm JFK Assasination - The Definitive Guide

November 24th 9pm Lee Harvey Oswald 48 Hours To Live

Nat Geo

November 11th 9pm JFK: Seven Days That Made A President

PBS America

November 22nd 7:30pm Cold Case JFK

There was an article about Lee Harvey Oswald's widow Marina in the Daily Mirror last week

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/real-life-stories/lee-harvey-oswalds-widow-marina-2667002

Thanks for the list but what is H2 please?
  • Options
    Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    Hasn't it already been done to death over the years?
    I don't think there is a blade of grass they haven't interviewed or inspected.
  • Options
    big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the list but what is H2 please?

A TV Channel by "History Channel"...

http://www.history.com/shows/h2
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A TV Channel by "History Channel"...

http://www.history.com/shows/h2

I know History channel and used to watch it until they start showing these cheap reality-fishing shows etc but never heard of H2.

Is H2 available in HD?

Cheers
  • Options
    big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know History channel and used to watch it until they start showing these cheap reality-fishing shows etc but never heard of H2.

Is H2 available in HD?

Cheers

Not in this country, no.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not in this country, no.

ok many thanks, no wonder I have never heard of it, as I never watch or record any non-HD channel :D
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Is H2 available in HD?

Cheers

It basically broadcasts the show that would have been on History before that channel become all about "reality" shows
  • Options
    Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In reply to the OPs thread title, I sincerely hope NOT! The Kennedy clan wanted to stop aid for Britain during WW2, funded the IRA, and at the time of the Cuban Missile Crisis threatened all out nuclear war! Read 'The Brink;' by two CIA agents of the time. who state that Kruschev ordered the turn around because ....."He's mad enough to do it!"
  • Options
    STEVE 03STEVE 03 Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    BBC2 are showing a week of JFK themed programmes starting on Sunday 17th November:

Sunday 17th Nov:
    6.00pm JFK: The Final Visit to Britain
    6.30pm Days That Shook the World: JFK
    7.00pm JFK in Galway
    7.05pm Kennedy's Home Movies

And then for the rest of the week BBC2 are showing the recent drama series 'The Kennedy's' with double bills every night from 11.20pm :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In reply to the OPs thread title, I sincerely hope NOT! The Kennedy clan wanted to stop aid for Britain during WW2, funded the IRA, and at the time of the Cuban Missile Crisis threatened all out nuclear war! Read 'The Brink;' by two CIA agents of the time. who state that Kruschev ordered the turn around because ....."He's mad enough to do it!"

I don't think JFK 'threatened all out nuclear war', some of the military wanted to do so but he established a blockade of Cuba to reduce the risk of nuclear war.
  • Options
    Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,406
    Forum Member

Is H2 available in HD?

Cheers

Slightly curious as to why HD would be important for a programme about JFK. Surely all the footage is in grainy black and white - so HD would make no difference - apart from maybe the credits and graphics or the DOG ??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Shrewn wrote: »
    I heard that there's loads going to be shown in the US, plus Oliver Stone's 1991 film is being released, but was wondering if anything would be done over here?

It's just been released on blu-ray in the UK last Monday (the 4th). Presumably due to reasonable timing or dumb luck from Fox.
  • Options
    AlanOAlanO Posts: 3,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hasn't it already been done to death over the years?
    I don't think there is a blade of grass they haven't interviewed or inspected.

Absolutely right.

Kennedy was an average president at best. He wasn't even the first US president to be assassinated - he just happened to be the first when the TV cameras were there.

Whoever did it, probably did the world a favour as it did result in one of the US's better post war president's making it to power in Lyndon Johnson - who had an altogether better record for making changes in the US.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    In case anyone was wondering, JFK's Secret Killer: The Evidence (Channel 5, Wednesday, 9pm) is the UK name for a documentary that recently aired in the US and Australia under the name JFK: The Smoking Gun.
  • Options
    Mystic DaveMystic Dave Posts: 1,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It basically broadcasts the show that would have been on History before that channel become all about "reality" shows

Mein Gott, you cannot possibly mean that they have run out of programmes about the Fuhrer and his chums? :D I am sure a programme about Adolf's leisure time pursuits must be one they could make, rather than Robson Green and Tarrant in waders.
  • Options
    Mystic DaveMystic Dave Posts: 1,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AlanO wrote: »
    Absolutely right.

Kennedy was an average president at best. He wasn't even the first US president to be assassinated - he just happened to be the first when the TV cameras were there.

Whoever did it, probably did the world a favour as it did result in one of the US's better post war president's making it to power in Lyndon Johnson - who had an altogether better record for making changes in the US.

It is funny really how things have changed. I was about 18 months old at the time and grew up with JFK being this revered figure during the 70s and 80s. Since the Wall fell really, his reputation has been gradually shredded to show that he was just ahead of his time in media management!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AlanO wrote: »
    Absolutely right.

It's a bit like all the hype there was from the Left when Obama was elected with the ridiculous Nobel Prize before he had even done anything. He has turned out very ordinary and seems to have achieved little.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The only difference is we can't get to watch what would have been on History before that channel become all about "reality" shows.

It is a shame History channel turned into a cheap reality channel and a bigger shame they don't offer H2 in HD for those who want to watch what they used to watch.

Steve9214 wrote: »
    Slightly curious as to why HD would be important for a programme about JFK. Surely all the footage is in grainy black and white - so HD would make no difference - apart from maybe the credits and graphics or the DOG ??

I was talking about general and asked if H2 was available in HD. I agree that no much benefit of HD broadcast about JFK for the footage that is in grainy and black and white but would be nice if H2 was in HD for other shows.
  • Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,947
    Forum Member
    Here's an interesting development - cbsnews.com to stream their original 1963 news coverage of the assassination etc starting at 1.40pm ET (6.40pm UK) this Friday 22 November.

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2013/11/18/cbsnews-com-to-stream-jfk-assassination/
  • Options
    Ray266Ray266 Posts: 3,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched the Discovery Channel last night, Nothing new to say just rehashed interviews, The Kennedy's were no friends of the UK anyway look at Joe Kennedy what he said about Britain in the last war enough said.