Sky Sports Winter Cricket Coverage

Comments

• derek500derek500 Posts: 24,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont think they are loosing much by having Ian Ward and not David Gower, .

Gower's going to be in Australia. Usually they'll do presentation from both London and on site. Wouldn't he do that?
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    Gower's going to be in Australia. Usually they'll do presentation from both London and on site. Wouldn't he do that?

Yes possibly, must admit, im not overly a fan of Gower, feel he gets off lighty, especially given the amount of cricket sky show over the summer.

While the likes of Ward, Nasser, Athers, Bumble etc, must spend half there lifes, travelling up and down the country.

Gower and Botham, just do 10 days work out of 13, and then get a week off.

Botham, tends to grumble, if the match goes into the 5th day, cause he would rather be playing golf.

Maybe he needs to change the sport he commentates at
  • LOSGLOSG Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not for the Ashes they don't. I'm surprised at this, the past few tours the presentation has come on-site from a studio at the ground.
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gurj73 wrote: »
    Rachel Brooke's ?! Surprising choice isnt it !
    She should stick to F1 me thinks.

Why ?
  • Steveaustin316Steveaustin316 Posts: 15,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Botham, tends to grumble, if the match goes into the 5th day, cause he would rather be playing golf.

He wouldn't have been pleased had England not taken the last Australian wicket in the final over of Day 4 of the Lord's test and they had to come back on Day 5.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    mlt11 wrote: »
    Looks like Ian Ward is in London studio hosting role.

SPI now fully updated.

Days 2,3,3,5:
    11pm Ashes Extra Live - Ward hosting
    11.30pm Live Programme starts (11pm on Day 1)

Every day:
    8am Ashes Breakfast - Brookes
    10am and throughout day until 8pm - 1 hour highlights programme
    9pm Verdict - Colvile

Hi what is this spi site
  • tim456tim456 Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Now Sky have got some unexpected money to spend following the loss of Champions league football from 2015, perhaps they could spend a small fraction of it on bolstering their other sports.

They could start by renewing rights to cricket from New Zealand. Two good series coming up with New Zealand hosting West Indies (help fill the gap left by the shortened SA v India series) then later in January India.

Would also safeguard the rights for when England next tour NZ in a few years time. Not that getting the rights to this series on it's own would be a problem unless BT Sport suddenly took an interest in cricket.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saf7321 wrote: »
    Hi what is this spi site

http://www.skyprogrammeinformation.co.uk/
  • henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim456 wrote: »
    Now Sky have got some unexpected money to spend following the loss of Champions league football from 2015, perhaps they could spend a small fraction of it on bolstering their other sports.

They could start by renewing rights to cricket from New Zealand. Two good series coming up with New Zealand hosting West Indies (help fill the gap left by the shortened SA v India series) then later in January India.

Would also safeguard the rights for when England next tour NZ in a few years time. Not that getting the rights to this series on it's own would be a problem unless BT Sport suddenly took an interest in cricket.

Not sure how many Sky customers are too bothered with NZ vs West Indies. The time difference doesn't help either. I could possibly see Sky going after more India and S Africa matches.
  • jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,055
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hendero wrote: »
    Not sure how many Sky customers are too bothered with NZ vs West Indies. The time difference doesn't help either. I could possibly see Sky going after more India and S Africa matches.

I quite like the New Zealand home test matches, as its somethig to watch before bed

Also pleased to see England are touring the caribbean, later on this winter, as its another tour, i enjoy, afternoon/evening cricket
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also pleased to see England are touring the caribbean, later on this winter, as its another tour, i enjoy, afternoon/evening cricket

Agreed, England in the Windies is about as good as it gets from a time zone/TV viewing perspective. One of the challenges cricket faces is that for 3/5 of every home test match, lots of fans (probably the majority) are at work.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed, England in the Windies is about as good as it gets from a time zone/TV viewing perspective. One of the challenges cricket faces is that for 3/5 of every home test match, lots of fans (probably the majority) are at work.

My wife's introduction to cricket was the Sky One coverage of the Windies tour in 1990. She's been a committed fan since then. Mind you, the entertaining coverage helped with Boycott and Greig at their best.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My wife's introduction to cricket was the Sky One coverage of the Windies tour in 1990. She's been a committed fan since then. Mind you, the entertaining coverage helped with Boycott and Greig at their best.

Devon Malcolm roaring in, every wicket greeted with a "Goodnight Charlie!" from Greigers. Even though England lost the series, those were good times.
  • MarrooMarroo Posts: 1,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Devon Malcolm roaring in, every wicket greeted with a "Goodnight Charlie!" from Greigers. Even though England lost the series, those were good times.

That tour was the first time i'd heard Geoffrey's " corridor of uncertainty " line too ! :)
  • MarrooMarroo Posts: 1,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thinking on re the Ashes , why don't sky sack all the commentators & get Billy Birmingham to impersonate them instead ?? :D
  • Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marroo wrote: »
    Thinking on re the Ashes , why don't sky sack all the commentators & get Billy Birmingham to impersonate them instead ?? :D

They did on The 12th Man 'Boned' CD.
  • BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member
    sky have sent Geraint Hughes to mumbai, is this the first time sky have sent someone abroad for a test not involving England.
  • Harfynn TeuportHarfynn Teuport Posts: 138
    Forum Member
    Thank God this Mumbai test is nearly over.

As a Yorkshireman I'll always have a soft spot for Tendulkar, but the sycophancy has been nauseating during this test. He is simply a man with a great talent and humility... his status has been so overblown it's untrue.
  • Gurj73Gurj73 Posts: 963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank God this Mumbai test is nearly over.

As a Yorkshireman I'll always have a soft spot for Tendulkar, but the sycophancy has been nauseating during this test. He is simply a man with a great talent and humility... his status has been so overblown it's untrue.

He's status has been overblown ?!

That's clearly a man who has never been to India or knows indian supporters from other areas of the globe.

Sachin has been idolised for over two decades and rightly so as we are not talking about just another sportsman here/

We will never see he's like again, not in our lifetimes anyway.
  • CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah but he's just a cricketer who's been in decline since 2011.

It is rather hilarious to see the over the topness in India.
    Forum Member
    Gurj73 wrote: »
    He's status has been overblown ?!

That's clearly a man who has never been to India or knows indian supporters from other areas of the globe.

Sachin has been idolised for over two decades and rightly so as we are not talking about just another sportsman here/

We will never see he's like again, not in our lifetimes anyway.
    Exactly the point I'm making. We most certainly ARE just talking about another sportsman here. An exceptionally talented one, but a sportsman nonetheless. It comes as no surprise to hear the likes of Shastri and Gavaskar demean themselves by hero-worshipping him like giddy school boys rather than broadcasting professionals to be honest, but it doesn't make it any easier to listen to.

I can't think of another sportsman around whom there is a layer of BS and bluster (and I realise it is absolutely not of his own making) on the same scale of Tendulkar. The carefully managed deifying of him by the BCCI, using all their instruments of war (I noticed the normally reserved Paul Collingwood was at it the other day) is a sad spectacle indeed. Let the man be revered for his deeds and not some hashtagged marketing campaign whipping up a nation into a frenzy, it all just smacks of an unseemly display of modern celebrity.

To misquote an old phrase, it's just not quite cricket.
  • DipsDips Posts: 1,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly the point I'm making. We most certainly ARE just talking about another sportsman here. An exceptionally talented one, but a sportsman nonetheless. It comes as no surprise to hear the likes of Shastri and Gavaskar demean themselves by hero-worshipping him like giddy school boys rather than broadcasting professionals to be honest, but it doesn't make it any easier to listen to.

I can't think of another sportsman around whom there is a layer of BS and bluster (and I realise it is absolutely not of his own making) on the same scale of Tendulkar. The carefully managed deifying of him by the BCCI, using all their instruments of war (I noticed the normally reserved Paul Collingwood was at it the other day) is a sad spectacle indeed. Let the man be revered for his deeds and not some hashtagged marketing campaign whipping up a nation into a frenzy, it all just smacks of an unseemly display of modern celebrity.

To misquote an old phrase, it's just not quite cricket.

Nearly as bad as when England win a series against Australia and they have bus parade and start handing out MBE's. It's one series!
    Forum Member
    Dips wrote: »
    Nearly as bad as when England win a series against Australia and they have bus parade and start handing out MBE's. It's one series!
    That was certainly a pathetic episode... I think it's fair to say one that has been recognised by the cricket authorities in England and that won't be repeated.
  • CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't say it was pathetic. It really changed the game in England for a whole generation who grew up with us not being very good! MBE's are handed out for anything anyway!
  • Gurj73Gurj73 Posts: 963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hafynn I hope you had the privalage to hear that speech from Sachin today !

You will then realise why the guy has been given such adulation. He has been far more than just a sportsman !
    He was a special player and a special human being.