The **** shaming of Moira in tonight's episodes...

Comments

• JaymaJayma Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member
    Blimey, that was quite an omnibus I watched yesterday. Patriarchy appeared to be the theme of the week, starting off with Marlon's aggressive dressing down of Donna and punishing her by confiscating their daughter for the night. "Problem??!!" Then we had Ross manhandling Donna through the pub and 'taking her for a walk', ordering her to look like she was enjoying herself. I was quite surprised she wasn't put on the naughty step.

Somewhere in the middle, Jai was lording it over Layla and Megan, who were both fawning over him and jumping through hoops in order for him to grant them the honour of investing in his failing business.

And then for dessert, we had Moira - being publicly and verbally ridiculed by her husband, son and nephew, including her being ordered to her bedroom by her husband like a naughty 5 year old. And Cain once again disowning Chas.

Certainly, the women's behaviour left quite a bit to be desired, but their treatment by their menfolk was breathtaking this week. Uncomfortable viewing as it was at times, particularly Moira's situation, it was interesting to see a soap where the men stood their ground - in other soaps, all the males in these scenarios would probably have ended up apologising to the women for the women's bad behaviour.

Having said that, I'm finding it difficult to sympathise with Cain, considering his past history. He seems to think it's fine to carry out abhorrent acts, so long as you don't lie about it. And Adam and Ross, as others have said, are hardly paragons of virtue themselves, particularly in the sexual partners stakes. Adam's conduct made it difficult for me to feel sorry for him - he was simply deeply unpleasant. And yes, James had to endure a mere few minutes of frostiness from his nearest and dearest, whereas Moira has been totally abandoned by all of hers. I can see why she did what she did by not telling Cain and Adam, although she went too far with locking Chas in the cellar and framing James for the missing money.

And as for Chas not telling Cain what she knew, she was always between a rock and a hard place with that one. Cain could just as easily have blamed Chas for the break-up of his marriage had she divulged that Moira had lied to him - it would purely have depended on which way the wind was blowing that day.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I watched the omnibus yesterday and I have to agree with jop! Adam in particular deserves a good toe capping the entitled and hypocritical little shit. However I thought chas was reasonable enough. She begged moira to tell cain after all and she tried to get cain to talk to moira later on. However adam really annoyed me.
  • sixtynotoutsixtynotout Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whedonite wrote: »
    As far as I'm aware, a slapper is someone who sleeps around, not someone who has cheated twice in their 40 odd year life. If sleeping with 4 men at her age makes her a slapper, just about every soap character is one.

And quite a lot of real life women as well ;-)
  • thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jayma wrote: »
    Blimey, that was quite an omnibus I watched yesterday. Patriarchy appeared to be the theme of the week, starting off with Marlon's aggressive dressing down of Donna and punishing her by confiscating their daughter for the night. "Problem??!!" Then we had Ross manhandling Donna through the pub and 'taking her for a walk', ordering her to look like she was enjoying herself. I was quite surprised she wasn't put on the naughty step.

Somewhere in the middle, Jai was lording it over Layla and Megan, who were both fawning over him and jumping through hoops in order for him to grant them the honour of investing in his failing business.

And then for dessert, we had Moira - being publicly and verbally ridiculed by her husband, son and nephew, including her being ordered to her bedroom by her husband like a naughty 5 year old. And Cain once again disowning Chas.

Certainly, the women's behaviour left quite a bit to be desired, but their treatment by their menfolk was breathtaking this week. Uncomfortable viewing as it was at times, particularly Moira's situation, it was interesting to see a soap where the men stood their ground - in other soaps, all the males in these scenarios would probably have ended up apologising to the women for the women's bad behaviour.

Having said that, I'm finding it difficult to sympathise with Cain, considering his past history. He seems to think it's fine to carry out abhorrent acts, so long as you don't lie about it. And Adam and Ross, as others have said, are hardly paragons of virtue themselves, particularly in the sexual partners stakes. Adam's conduct made it difficult for me to feel sorry for him - he was simply deeply unpleasant. And yes, James had to endure a mere few minutes of frostiness from his nearest and dearest, whereas Moira has been totally abandoned by all of hers. I can see why she did what she did by not telling Cain and Adam, although she went too far with locking Chas in the cellar and framing James for the missing money.

And as for Chas not telling Cain what she knew, she was always between a rock and a hard place with that one. Cain could just as easily have blamed Chas for the break-up of his marriage had she divulged that Moira had lied to him - it would purely have depended on which way the wind was blowing that day.

Jayma :D BIB: That's such an interesting point, it was for much all about the men this week and you're right, it does make for an interesting twist to change the structure a bit. I am finding it difficult to feel sympathy for Cain as well, although the character is fantastic, but I feel he has made a situation that has little to do with him all about him.

I also hated him saying to Moira that he basically didn't want marry her incase something like this happened and he can't just walk away, sums up much of the character.

Like I have said previously Moira is now at rock bottom, asides from her losing the farm she's on her own, for the time being, I'm really looking forward to seeing her working her way back up. Come'on Moira, you need your fire back!
    I watched the omnibus yesterday and I have to agree with jop! Adam in particular deserves a good toe capping the entitled and hypocritical little shit. However I thought chas was reasonable enough. She begged moira to tell cain after all and she tried to get cain to talk to moira later on. However adam really annoyed me.

Sorcha :D
    BIB: I know right. I know we are suppose to be sympathise with Adam as his world has been turned upside down but I'm really lacking in any sympathy for him. Moira is my favourite character but it doesn't mean I root for those characters I like blindly, I wasn't expecting too, but I'm completely on her side. Someone's got to be.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jayma :D BIB: That's such an interesting point, it was for much all about the men this week and you're right, it does make for an interesting twist to change the structure a bit. I am finding it difficult to feel sympathy for Cain as well, although the character is fantastic, but I feel he has made a situation that has little to do with him all about him.

I also hated him saying to Moira that he basically didn't want marry her incase something like this happened and he can't just walk away, sums up much of the character.

Like I have said previously Moira is now at rock bottom, asides from her losing the farm she's on her own, for the time being, I'm really looking forward to seeing her working her way back up. Come'on Moira, you need your fire back!

BIB: I know right. I know we are suppose to be sympathise with Adam as his world has been turned upside down but I'm really lacking in any sympathy for him. Moira is my favourite character but it doesn't mean I root for those characters I like blindly, I wasn't expecting too, but I'm completely on her side. Someone's got to be.

Indeed. Also the manipulation of cain by adam aswell as dismissing cains experience because shadrach was a waste of space was very cruel I thought. No sympathy from adumb here tbh.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Indeed. Also the manipulation of cain by adam aswell as dismissing cains experience because shadrach was a waste of space was very cruel I thought. No sympathy from adumb here tbh.

Nope, none at all. I'm actually looking forward to seeing...
    Katie dump his sorry ass
  • Bonny1Bonny1 Posts: 8,502
    Forum Member
    for Moira now.. the only way is UP.. and stand on all of them, on the way girl x
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nope, none at all. I'm actually looking forward to seeing...
    Katie dump his sorry ass

Fantastic! Cannot wait for that.
  • sixtynotoutsixtynotout Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80's Gal wrote: »
    I don't think that TPTB researched this very well at all. Apparently you need the mothers permission and if the paternity concerns two brothers then they need to take this into account as well.

Q: If a child's paternity is in question and two brothers are possible fathers, how can a DNA laboratory determine who the father is? What if only one father is tested?
    A: If both brothers are tested, we will extend the genetic testing until we are able to distinguish between the brothers. However, if only one brother was tested, and our laboratory is not informed about the possibility of the other related alleged father, there is a possibility that the statistics we issue may not be strictly correct, because we assume that the other possible fathers are not related to the tested man. If our DNA laboratory is informed, after the testing, that a brother of the tested man might be the father, we can determine the odds that the tested man, not his untested brother, is in fact the true biological father. However, when brothers are both potential fathers of a child, we strongly recommend testing both brothers as well as the mother of the child.

Apparently you need to send them either a blood sample or a cheek swab - they don't appear to accept socks :D

Thanks for the detailed reply, love the last bit about not accepting socks :). Typical soap where they either don't do the correct research or leave the door open for the DNA test to be wrong.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the detailed reply, love the last bit about not accepting socks :). Typical soap where they either don't do the correct research or leave the door open for the DNA test to be wrong.

yes.... the sockgate dna is getting more ridiculous by the hour.... :D I'm hoping and praying.. it transpires the test is inaccurate.. and John in indeed the daddy... :D
  • JaymaJayma Posts: 6,418
    Forum Member

Hiya jo_p! :D I'm sure Moira will claw her way back up again. I wasn't watching ED when she had her affair with Cain when John was alive. I presume she was pariah of the month when that one came out? And she made her way back into favour somehow, so I'm optimistic she will again. Yes, I agree, Cain was using this situation to make it all about him, and I got the impression he wasn't considering leaving Moira until Adam accused him of being weak if he stayed with her. Adam was just repugnant in his behaviour this week. Perhaps Moira should start by evicting them all from her farm!

I like the balance that ED has with the male/female roles - not just one is dominant - normally, each of them are, usually at the appropriate time. Marlon and Ross would have understood Donna's actions more had they known what we do about her, so I could understand their outrage when they thought she'd just upped and left, although their manner of displaying it was rather harsh. And Donna is no doubt behaving badly, but she's convinced herself it's for the right reasons and is clearly desperate about her daughter's future.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Someone should choke james to death with that fecking sock. It'd be a nice dose of irony and smell lol!
  • lotty27lotty27 Posts: 17,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Is is possible to fall in love with a post? :D I love it!
    SO many good points particularly about the rampaging country men compared to their lily livered cousins in the town soaps! Of course neither portrayal is right, there should be a happy medium where there are both strong females and males but that was a hell of an observation by you which passed me by.

And to think the producer is a woman?!? Perhaps she gets off on so-called 'strong' bullying men? :o (daft comment, don't mean it before someone starts on me!)
    Bonny1 wrote: »
    yes.... the sockgate dna is getting more ridiculous by the hour.... :D I'm hoping and praying.. it transpires the test is inaccurate.. and John in indeed the daddy... :D

Sock, a bloomin' sock! :D
    I wonder who's light bulb moment that was? I'm not sure whether they deserve the sack for stupidity or a rise for the ridiculousness of it and giving us something to laugh at, lol!
    Hiya jo_p! :D I'm sure Moira will claw her way back up again. I wasn't watching ED when she had her affair with Cain when John was alive. I presume she was pariah of the month when that one came out? And she made her way back into favour somehow, so I'm optimistic she will again. Yes, I agree, Cain was using this situation to make it all about him, and I got the impression he wasn't considering leaving Moira until Adam accused him of being weak if he stayed with her. Adam was just repugnant in his behaviour this week. Perhaps Moira should start by evicting them all from her farm!

I like the balance that ED has with the male/female roles - not just one is dominant - normally, each of them are, usually at the appropriate time. Marlon and Ross would have understood Donna's actions more had they known what we do about her, so I could understand their outrage when they thought she'd just upped and left, although their manner of displaying it was rather harsh. And Donna is no doubt behaving badly, but she's convinced herself it's for the right reasons and is clearly desperate about her daughter's future.

Moira was a really proud, strong woman back then, any sh!t she stared down. Which I suppose is why it was so sad seeing her cowed and brought so low, begging Cain, sobbing, crying and devastated at her son's nastiness when I'd have been tempted to whack the side of his face off and tell Cain not to forget anything because he wouldn't be coming back. Moira has always been a bit 'kick ass' (to me anyway) and I'd really like to see that part of her character kicking back in and telling them all to eff right off.
    Forum Member
    Someone should choke james to death with that fecking sock. It'd be a nice dose of irony and smell lol!

PMSL.. almost spat my mug of tea across my laptop there hahahaha x
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lotty27 wrote: »
    Moira was a really proud, strong woman back then, any sh!t she stared down. Which I suppose is why it was so sad seeing her cowed and brought so low, begging Cain, sobbing, crying and devastated at her son's nastiness when I'd have been tempted to whack the side of his face off and tell Cain not to forget anything because he wouldn't be coming back. Moira has always been a bit 'kick ass' (to me anyway) and I'd really like to see that part of her character kicking back in and telling them all to eff right off.

I cannot wait. It's going down, I'm yelling TIMBER!!! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bonny1 wrote: »
    PMSL.. almost spat my mug of tea across my laptop there hahahaha x

:D:D. Sorry Bonny, you shouldnt have had to waste some lovely tea on that pillock >:(:p
    I cannot wait. It's going down, I'm yelling TIMBER!!! :D

Are you referring to James :D
  • Cody1Cody1 Posts: 2,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    love moira, the dingle girls are much more slappers than moira.

married since a kid she messed up once by sleeping with his brother (which is bad yes but no worse than chas sleeping with her neices fiance, and dont get me started with charity and infact the whole female cast has worked their way nicely around the village blokes bed.

Moira messed up big time. Shes never professed to be a saint, she was going through a hard time with john and had an affair....... crap happens in marriages some people get through it others dont..... its a part of life sometmes you find yourself attracted to other people.

and i dont blame her not wanting adam to know hes twisted and messed up nearly killing cain in the garage fire god knows what could happen .......

if i had to choose to be an emmerdale character id choose moira over all of them shes feisty a grafter.
    i suppose laurels a slapper too :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    another question: could Moira ask James for the child support she didn't get for 18 years? Maybe it would be the amount he is getting on the farm, she could take that instead and then he could b*gger off!
    Forum Member
    another question: could Moira ask James for the child support she didn't get for 18 years? Maybe it would be the amount he is getting on the farm, she could take that instead and then he could b*gger off!

hahaha brilliant x
  • Danny_FrancisDanny_Francis Posts: 5,656
    Forum Member
    Good episodes! also thought Cain's portrayal was fantastic not suprising really Jeff is a brilliant actor:cool:
  • justatechjustatech Posts: 976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cody1 wrote: »
    love moira, the dingle girls are much more slappers than moira.

married since a kid she messed up once by sleeping with his brother (which is bad yes but no worse than chas sleeping with her neices fiance, and dont get me started with charity and infact the whole female cast has worked their way nicely around the village blokes bed.

Moira messed up big time. Shes never professed to be a saint, she was going through a hard time with john and had an affair....... crap happens in marriages some people get through it others dont..... its a part of life sometmes you find yourself attracted to other people.

and i dont blame her not wanting adam to know hes twisted and messed up nearly killing cain in the garage fire god knows what could happen .......

if i had to choose to be an emmerdale character id choose moira over all of them shes feisty a grafter.
    i suppose laurels a slapper too :D

She didn't mess up once, she did it at least twice. Once with her husband's brother and then with Cain while John was still alive. We don't know how many others there may have been before she came into the village. She has a track record of cheating.

And the affair with Cain was simply because she fancied him. John had no blame to take in that scenario.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    justatech wrote: »

And the affair with Cain was simply because she fancied him. John had no blame to take in that scenario.

It's Cain's fault for being so damn sexy!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    It's Cain's fault for being so damn sexy!

...and for being relentless at that time.
    Forum Member
    justatech wrote: »
    She didn't mess up once, she did it at least twice.
    She has a track record of cheating.

Since when has she had a track record of cheating....? she had a one night stand with her Brother-in-law 23 years ago..... and a 2 week affair with the guy she's now married too ... 23 years later ? where the evidence of her Track record of Cheating ? Baffled.com :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think it's safe to say that although Moira cheating on John with Cain was wrong and the one night stand years ago as well, that there is no way in hell that anyone in that bloody village can stand in judgement over her -especially not her ungrateful gobshite of a son and although I love him, hypocritical Cain