Options

Should 1st Aid training be more widespread?

Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
Forum Member
✭✭✭
For instance:-

Should it be taught at school/college?

Should 1st Aid training be mandatory for teachers/lecturers?

Should companies be given incentives, to offer training to more of their staff?

Comments

• Options
    Lou KellyLou Kelly Posts: 2,778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, yes and yes.

I get paid £74 per year for being a First Aider in work. Bit of a random amount but it's better than a smack in the ole chops.
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't there used to be some rules on the number of people First Aid trained there had to be in a workplace of a given size
    :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Everyone should go to the YMCA or YWCA. They teach some good life skills including CPR and 1st Aid.
  • Options
    TheDonkTheDonk Posts: 1,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why start 2 threads about the same subject?:confused:
  • Options
    nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This topic appears to be growing, doesn't it?

Rudimentary first aid may well be a useful skill to teach in secondary school, if only at 15 years and older. If schools teach people about how to manage their money then why not? Also catch them before they get too old and cynical.

I don't know about mandatory for all teachers / lecturers but it would probably be desirable.

Companies could be given the incentive to offer training but it would come down to whether their employees took them up on it.

Isn't there a first aid bit to the driving theory test now? I thought there was going to be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't there used to be some rules on the number of people First Aid trained there had to be in a workplace of a given size
    :confused:

There is, I think it's something like 1 First Aider for every 25 or 30 employees.
  • Options
    fizzycatfizzycat Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    Yes. It should be taught in schools and kids should be encouraged to join something like St Johns as soon as they're old enough.
  • Options
    Mrs TeapotMrs Teapot Posts: 124,896
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Virtually all our school staff are first aid trained, some of us are peadiatric first aiders as well

I think even just basic knowledge of First Aid is good and one so very obvious target is parents
  • Options
    glasshalffullglasshalffull Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lou Kelly wrote: »
    There is, I think it's something like 1 First Aider for every 25 or 30 employees.

Thanks...I thought so:)

In which case OP... why would we need to incentivise workplaces to have what they are already required to have:confused:
  • Options
    ejmejm Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always thought that basic first aid should be taught at schools and there should be something for new mums too.

The touble with teaching anything more than the really basic first aid is that the guidelines change so much. We have CPR training every year, and you can bet your life that the number of breaths and compressions recommended have changed from the previous year.
  • Options
    Zero gravitasZero gravitas Posts: 12,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who pays for this training?
    Cos I dunno about the rest of you but I have enough outgoings without another (government) one being added to the list.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheDonk wrote: »
    Why start 2 threads about the same subject?:confused:

The other thread was to find out how many people felt they could handle an energency situation.

Having determined that a number of responders felt they couldn't cope, I wondered how people would feel about there being more 1st Aid trained people in society :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In which case OP... why would we need to incentivise workplaces to have what they are already required to have:confused:

I did say "Should companies be given incentives, to offer training to more of their staff?"

Many companies have only enough to comply with the legal requirement.

I thought it would be a good idea, both for the company, and for society in general, if more people were trained.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i used to be a first aider years ago, i would have to go and retrain if I wanted to be one at work.
    i would not do it now mind you, to much hassle and you could be sued if something went wrong.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    I got taught first aid in both school and college. However, the certificates expire relatively quickly so I can imagine the cost of keeping up the standards would be too high. It'd need constant training.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    and you could be sued if something went wrong.

If you're trained by a legitimate outfit (e.g St John Ambulance) then you are insured for such claims.
  • Options
    dee-recdee-rec Posts: 2,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think First Aid along with other basic life skills should be taught in schools and colleges.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40,102
    Forum Member
    Doesn't it change alllllll the time, though?

I remember doing a course two or three years apart and the recovery position had altered.

Yes, of course, one change = "allllll the time", ey :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lou Kelly wrote: »
    If you're trained by a legitimate outfit (e.g St John Ambulance) then you are insured for such claims.

Maybe, but still a risk. i prefer not to take that risk.

They was asking at work a few weeks back for people to be trained for first aid, i did not bother to apply, not worth the hassle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee-rec wrote: »
    I think First Aid along with other basic life skills should be taught in schools and colleges.

Only if the person want to be taught it, first aid should not be forced onto anyone.
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It should be taught in all schools :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silentNate wrote: »
    It should be taught in all schools :)

Maybe, but not forced onto people. If the student/pupil don't want to learn it then they should not be forced into it.

i was taught at school, but it did not do me any good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that basic first aid should be taught at secondary schools. We had a compulsory course in Citizenship that we had to complete, and I think that it should be combined into that.
  • Options
    silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe, but not forced onto people. If the student/pupil don't want to learn it then they should not be forced into it.

i was taught at school, but it did not do me any good.

Not sure why though- children are 'forced' to do sex education as part of Biology and RE is standard in most schools as well as languages. An hour lesson on First Aid is hardly neither here nor there considering :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I would rather students be "forced" into learning first aid than some of the already compulsory subjects learnt at school.