Options

QI - new series

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,568
Forum Member
I missed the start - did Stephen have an 'I' word to start on, to follow from his 'Good evenings' and 'Hellos' on previous series?

Comments

• Options
    fordjfordj Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does Alan Davies have the easiest job on tv? His contribution to this show is virtually zero apart from jumping on the back of jokes from much funnier comedians. It's actually embarrassing now.
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    He actually has a very difficult job in making himself look more stupid than many of the QI viewers just so they can feel smug in their relative non-ignorance.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 220
    Forum Member
    I can't actually remember anything Alan Davies said tonight. Lee Mack got in there first practically everytime.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lee played the stupid part tonight, and better than Alan ever does. Both are actually clever, but Lee is quicker and funnier. In my opinion anyway.
  • Options
    wolfticketwolfticket Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If a Lobster is, say, 1cm long when it is born, and sheds it's skin 25 times in it's first 5(?) years of life, and each time it does so it grows by 50%, a 5 year old lobster should be around 170 metres long. Were it to live to shed it's skin 132 times would grow to be larger than our galaxy.

Other than that :D really enjoyed tonight's episode. Admittedly Alan didn't do much, but it is a half hour show that has been edited down, so it's a bit unfair to judge him on a single episode. Laughed a lot though, everyone else was very good. Definitely a return to form after it seemed to flag a bit with the move to pre-watershed bbc1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I always wait until they show the grown up's extended version on Saturday.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    Lee acted like verbal diarrhoea again. More messy than witty.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    lynxmale wrote: »
    Lee acted like verbal diarrhoea again. More messy than witty.

Agreed. There's no need for Mack or Vegas being idiots when Davies plays the part perfectly and doesn't ruin the show.
  • Options
    nate1970nate1970 Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, I found last night's episode painful 'cos of Lee Mack. If him or Ross Noble are going to be on, I'll just skip it, they ruin the whole show for me.

Now it's returned to BBC2, why can't we have some 'interesting' people back? Sessions, McGrath, Clive Anderson, even bloody Jeremy Clarkson (I know, I know, I'm sorry...), all make the programme worth watching.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You may have a point, Nate. You need a 'clever adult' on the panel. I suppose Sandi was there for that role last night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orion wrote: »
    You may have a point, Nate. You need a 'clever adult' on the panel. I suppose Sandi was there for that role last night.
    Yeah, but she didn't get a chance to say much :(

I really like some of the comedians they have on (Sean Lock, Jimmy Carr, Johnny Vegas) but whenever I watch, I feel they're on the wrong show.
  • Options
    The WulfrunianThe Wulfrunian Posts: 1,312
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mack is the most woefully unfunny, luckiest man on television. He ruined QI last night with his constant dross.
  • Options
    mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like Lee Mack but I found him very overbearing last night. Also I noticed he cut Alan off a couple of times.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mack is the most woefully unfunny, luckiest man on television. He ruined QI last night with his constant dross.
    Agreed. His whole act seems to be nothing more than coming up with the most obvious retorts possible, there's no wit or insight. I don't 'get' his popularity.
  • Options
    marks thespotmarks thespot Posts: 2,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orion wrote: »
    Lee played the stupid part tonight, and better than Alan ever does. Both are actually clever, but Lee is quicker and funnier. In my opinion anyway.

I thought last night's didn't work very well as they had three of them playing the stupid part - Lee, Jimmy & Alan!
    Consequently, Sandi Toksvig sounded really smug & patronising.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Lee Mack but I found him very overbearing last night. Also I noticed he cut Alan off a couple of times.
    I like him on WILTY, but he was a bit embarrassing on this. I'm sure he's been on before and been less so...or am I confusing him with someone else? I felt awkward when he twice said hung instead of hanged. If Fry hadn't already called him stupid, I'm sure he would've corrected him...

Anyway, great to have QI back.
  • Options
    lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was apparent that some of the others including Fry were irritated with him
  • Options
    BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member
    wolfticket wrote: »
    If a Lobster is, say, 1cm long when it is born, and sheds it's skin 25 times in it's first 5(?) years of life, and each time it does so it grows by 50%, a 5 year old lobster should be around 170 metres long. Were it to live to shed it's skin 132 times would grow to be larger than our galaxy.

Other than that :D really enjoyed tonight's episode. Admittedly Alan didn't do much, but it is a half hour show that has been edited down, so it's a bit unfair to judge him on a single episode. Laughed a lot though, everyone else was very good. Definitely a return to form after it seemed to flag a bit with the move to pre-watershed bbc1.

You need to check your maths.
  • Options
    Bryant N MayBryant N May Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Each time Mack has been on he has been OTT for my tastes. The panellists most suited to the programme in my view are those that provide intelligent and quite subtle humour. I have seen and heard him in other programmes and Mack is a good comedian and quick thinking humourist and quite capable of being an entertaining panellist but for some reason he feels his role on QI should be to bludgeon the audience over the head by acting dumb and trying to turn the programme into the Lee Mack Show. Of course, should the producers share my view they could reduce his contribution to the broadcast show so I assume they feel he adds value in some way.

Davies seems to say little these days as the role he used to carry out (which was largely showing the viewer how not to play the quiz element) is now obsolete and I think he is rather bored with it all now. He spoke of quitting a while back on his Twitter although this was partly because he was in a strop because the BBC dropped Whites. Maybe he is just hanging on for the forthcoming QI Live tour of Australia.

Despite all that it was good to see a new QI back on our screens.
  • Options
    stu0rtstu0rt Posts: 946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with those who think Lee Mack spoiled it. It was enjoyable enough, but he did over-egg his contributions a bit. He was actually quite right about the viewpoint of the artist, but he didn't seem to have the means to express it without ranting and repeating himself to the point it just got annoying.

Still, he got his pay cheque for it, so I'm sure it matters not a jot what we think.
  • Options
    Ex PatEx Pat Posts: 7,514
    Forum Member
    The Making of QI tonight. 9.45 on BBC2 NI.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Double post
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It is on all variants of BBC2.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It would appear from the trailer that Mr Understated himself Brian Blessed will be in this series
  • Options
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    It is on all variants of BBC2.

Good. Sometimes BBCNI seem to be in their own timezone. We often don't get shows on the same days as other regions.