Options

The future of ITV Sport

Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What now for ITV as to add to losing the FA Cup earlier this year, they will no longer show European football after 2015? Indeed on the main ITV channel all they will have left are England internationals, the RU World Cup and the Euros and World Cup every two years. Could this mean they pull out of sport altogether as they are still seen by many viewers as the cinderella of sports broadcasters?
I think not. 20 years ago ITV Sport had been badly hit by the loss of top flight football and was reduced to largely showing regional football, a few internationals and second rate boxing and athletics. Yet by 1997 they had bought up the Champions League and the FA Cup and had beaten the BBC for rights to Formula 1.
I think the next stage will be to use the money saved by losing European football to see what else they can get. I wouldn't be surprised if they buy back the League Cup in a joint deal with Sky, as this is one of the cheapest contracts in football, and also go all out to buy the Six Nations and whatever other rugby union internationals are available as they have form with this sport and it is big with the vital ABC1 audience. Also the boom in cycling will probably see Le Tour moving more onto the main channel and other tournaments appearing.

Comments

• Options
    Neil_HarrisNeil_Harris Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturday night boxing and International cricket.
  • Options
    JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV sport was in a similar situation not long ago, and they bounced back, and they will again.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The question I have to ask is how much money has been saved by losing The FA Cup and the Champions League? £80m?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    The question I have to ask is how much money has been saved by losing The FA Cup and the Champions League? £80m?

I'd estimate around that amount. It does leave ITV Sport with plenty of money to play with. I'm still of the mindset they could do a joint deal with Sky for the League Cup and then go after the 6 Nations.
    However, it's unlikely they'd ever chase after Wimbledon or test match cricket as these are huge commitments and Wimbledon overrunning would infuriate the soap watching ITV audience, who are their bread and butter on weekdays.
    Of course, the other alternative is ITV could be so disheartened by this move they abandon sport altogether, but I doubt it.
  • Options
    RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,242
    Forum Member
    Rugby League is having a very successful World Cup, and is primed for a broadcaster to take a gamble on it.
  • Options
    i4ui4u Posts: 55,001
    Forum Member
    D.M.N. wrote: »

But is it a saving if that £80m was let's say generating a £100m profit?

What programmes will ITV be able to invest in that generate similar or greater profits?
  • Options
    JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »
    ITV sport was in a similar situation not long ago, and they bounced back, and they will again.

Yes, you are right. It all goes in cycles. It was all doom and gloom at BBC not long ago but I guess they are currently happy with their lot.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I suspect the BBC will get the Champions League Final as BT are committed to making it free to air and the BBC are the obvious candidates although they may struggle with the huge amount of advertising.There are still the highlights to be assigned as well.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rugby League is having a very successful World Cup, and is primed for a broadcaster to take a gamble on it.

Can't see ITV being that interested and Sky will be desperate to hang on to a sport they can claim credit for reviving in the nineties.
    I think my money would be on ITV sharing the rights to the League Cup with Sky( highlights, a semi final and the final) and going all out for rugby union rights, which could be very lucrative for them.
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ITV's Sports Portfolio

IRB Rugby World Cup, and highlights of Premiership Rugby
    Tour De France, Tour of Britain and other cycling
    French Open Tennis
    Snooker
    Darts
    Bundesliga highlights
    BTCC
    IPL Cricket
    items coming up assuming ITV retains the above

and as has been said Rugby League
    with Rugby Union, England games come up for tender soon. As I recall part of a package

ITV England Autumn Games
    ITV4 The RFU Championship
    ITV or ITV4 if it continues Anglo Welsh

Davis Cup. Fed Cup

Champions League T20

US Open Tennis

maybe outside Golf US Masters and US Open? or The Open?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Can't see ITV being that interested and Sky will be desperate to hang on to a sport they can claim credit for reviving in the nineties.
    I think my money would be on ITV sharing the rights to the League Cup with Sky( highlights, a semi final and the final) and going all out for rugby union rights, which could be very lucrative for them.

I thought Sky had signed off Football League/League Cup exclusive until 2018?
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member

Unless BT or Sky go bust, I don't see how when it comes to football. Sky also have their claws in F1 and the 6 nations contract is not viable (3m a game) for a free to air commercial broadcaster. Same goes for Wimbledon where the BBC also has the expense of being the host broadcaster.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    But is it a saving if that £80m was let's say generating a £100m profit?

What programmes will ITV be able to invest in that generate similar or greater profits?

Football is the big one.

But Rugby Union has a good profile.
    Is French Top 14 on a roiling contract?

Would sit well with ITV if they got England Autumn Games (and maybe RFU Championship)
    I think that D2 the second tier French Rugby is broadcast and I hear is better than Englands Second Tier, after Celtic League would be Europes Fourth Competition.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    Unless BT or Sky go bust, I don't see how when it comes to football. Sky also have their claws in F1 and the 6 nations contract is not viable (3m a game) for a free to air commercial broadcaster. Same goes for Wimbledon where the BBC also has the expense of being the host broadcaster.

Even if Sky went bust, football has been used to the massive amount of money from pay TV that ITV couldn't realistically pay the same. Also I doubt devoting two hours on a Monday night to a mid table Premiership clash would generate a tenth of the viewers Coronation St would get.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV's Sports Portfolio

French Open Tennis
    Snooker
    Darts
    Bundesliga highlights
    BTCC
    IPL Cricket

with Rugby Union, England games come up for tender soon. As I recall part of a package

ITV England Autumn Games

Davis Cup. Fed Cup

Champions League T20

US Open Tennis

ITV are going for the Davis/Fed Cup?
  • Options
    eljmayeseljmayes Posts: 1,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV's Sports Portfolio

French Open Tennis
    Snooker
    Darts
    Bundesliga highlights
    BTCC
    IPL Cricket

ITV England Autumn Games

Davis Cup. Fed Cup

Champions League T20

US Open Tennis

The Masters (all four days) will end up on Sky for (relatively) crazy money I'd imagine.

I'd love to see some boxing on ITV on Saturday nights although the major promoters have deals already in place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »

BBC most important contracts, but with potentially tighter budgets which would they let go of

F1
    Wimbledon
    Six Nations
    Summer Olympics
    Commonwealth Games
    World Snooker
    Open Golf
    FA Cup
    Winter Olympics
    FIFA World Cup
    UEFA Championship
    London Marathon
    World Championship Athletics (at least until 2017)

If the BBC were asked which was the ten most important sports contracts would think they would come off this list. But if they let any go first would it be on this list or lesser stuff?

Scotland/Wales Autumnn Internationals
    Rugby League Challenge Cup
    World Darts
    Great North Run
    Womens Football
    European Athletics
    UK Snooker
    Womens Open Golf
    Queens Club Tennis
    University Boat Race
    World Bowls
    Masters Snooker
    Celtic League

and though no broadcaster has been announced for the inagural event European Games would BBC want or alongside Oylmpics/Commonwelath or could Channel 4 /.ITV opt for it?

any of these secondary list fit ITV? Darts and Snooker jump out. As does Queens Club Tennis.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some sports have gone from ITV and will probably never return like horse racing and athletics as they've found better homes. Also ITV is unlikely to want to do the Olympics as they know they get hammered by the BBC.
    I think it's a case now of seeing what big contract is next. It has been mentioned on another thread that the Euros could be available exclusively and this would be a huge coup for ITV.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    BBC most important contracts, but with potentially tighter budgets which would they let go of

F1
    Wimbledon
    Six Nations
    Summer Olympics
    Commonwealth Games
    World Snooker
    Open Golf
    FA Cup
    Winter Olympics
    FIFA World Cup
    UEFA Championship
    London Marathon
    World Championship Athletics (at least until 2017)

If the BBC were asked which was the ten most important sports contracts would think they would come off this list. But if they let any go first would it be on this list or lesser stuff?

Scotland/Wales Autumnn Internationals
    Rugby League Challenge Cup
    World Darts
    Great North Run
    Womens Football
    European Athletics
    UK Snooker
    Womens Open Golf
    Queens Club Tennis
    University Boat Race
    World Bowls
    Masters Snooker
    Celtic League

and though no broadcaster has been announced for the inagural event European Games would BBC want or alongside Oylmpics/Commonwelath or could Channel 4 /.ITV opt for it?

any of these secondary list fit ITV? Darts and Snooker jump out. As does Queens Club Tennis.

See this is ITV's problem most of the big contracts aren't commercially viable for them. There is no cheap undervalued contracts left any more even the Europa League is gone. Like the 6 nations the BBC are paying a premium for the Olympics.
    C4 handing back the last world athletics championship to the BBC shows how commercially viable Athletics is.

Looking at the secondary events I can only see snooker/darts as a possibility. Also The Commonwealth games are worth nothing when they're not a home games and iirc the BBC recommended that they lose their protected status when the last 'crown jewels' list was drawn up.
    The BBC only picked up the rights for the last last games 4 months before they started and for practically nothing. ITV could have easily picked up the Glasgow games if they wanted.

IIRC the BBC only have secondary coverage of Queen's Tennis behind Eurosport and ITV handed back the rights to the boat race last time due to the big production costs.

The FA Cup contract was a bargain in retrospect but ITV's hands were tied there as BT refused to bid with anyone not called the BBC according to ariusuk. Jake and Gary even delivered a joint presentation.
  • Options
    ROONEY_10ROONEY_10 Posts: 324
    Forum Member

BT Sport wernt around then
  • Options
    KarlHydeKarlHyde Posts: 1,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    I suspect the BBC will get the Champions League Final as BT are committed to making it free to air and the BBC are the obvious candidates
    No, the CL & EL finals (and a couple of other matches throughout the season) will be available for free, but this is going to be on BT Sport.
    BT Sport will make certain matches available for free across both competitions throughout the season on its recently launched BT Sport-branded channels. As a result, football fans in every television-owning household in the UK will have access to these games.

http://www.uefa.org/events/marketing/media-rights-and-services/news/newsid=2021907.html
    BT has shaken up the UK TV market with BT Sport and it today pledged to make its new matches far more accessible and affordable for fans who wish to enjoy all the action. It also announced it will show a selection of these new matches for free on BT Sport, even to homes that have not signed up to the channels.

The finals of each tournament will be showcased in this fashion along with a selection of top matches from earlier rounds. Fans will also be delighted to know that each participating British team will feature for free at least once each season.
    http://sport.bt.com/sportfootball/football/bt-sport-wins-all-live-uk-tv-rights-to-uefa-champions-league-and-uefa-europa-league-S11363847946944
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Glenn A wrote: »
    It has been mentioned on another thread that the Euros could be available exclusively and this would be a huge coup for ITV.

Wouldn't be affordable. Just because ITV would have double the games over the 4 weeks doesn't mean that advertisers will double their advertising budgets for the period. The more games available the cheaper the advertising slots will become.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV has its hands tied. I know Itv 4 is becoming their version of a sports channel, but it's not universally available and covering something like Wimbledon or a test match is a huge commitment and I doubt Wimbledon would want to leave the BBC as they cover it well. Also sports like cricket and rugby league like the attention and money Sky lavish on them and know a contract with Itv would net them less attention and money.
    Then there's always the lingering image of ITV Sport being second rate and with poor camerawork and presenters. Although they have improved since the nineties, certainly their coverage of the FA Cup has been unpopular and Adrian Chiles isn't highly regarded.
  • Options
    KNs47KNs47 Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    What we need is the Government/BBC Trust to allow the Beeb to be able to form an FTA partnership with other FTA broadcasters such as ITV to create an dedicated FTA sports channel. BT, Sky and a super-FTA channel would further increase competition.
  • Options
    mikey1980mikey1980 Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The highlights rights for the UEFA Champions League are still up for grabs, unless I've missed something.

The question is whether ITV want the expense of showing the highlights?

In the same way, ITV have the money available to wrest the Premier League highlights package away from the BBC. However would they really want to? It's live football that draws in the audiences for ITV, and it seems like there's none available between 2015 and 2018... With the exception of the England internationals.