✭✭✭
    Howard
    Flanagan Mertasaker Cahill Coleman
    Sterling Barkely Toure Hazard
    Suarez Sturridge

Tough choice but this is my team off of the top of my head
  • kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    My biggest surprise is people are actually picking anybody from Liverpool's back four, you can make an argument for Liverpool players to fill almost any of the positions from midfield onwards but their defence has been genuinely piss poor.
  • Richie1001Richie1001 Posts: 8,217
    Forum Member
    kingjeremy wrote: »
    My biggest surprise is people are actually picking anybody from Liverpool's back four, you can make an argument for Liverpool players to fill almost any of the positions from midfield onwards but their defence has been genuinely piss poor.

Skrtel has been excellent though - as a unit our defence is not good, but if you watch the matches Skrtel has been outstanding time after time. Plus he's scored 7 goals which is pretty good for a defender!

Is he in the team of the season? Maybe, maybe not. But he's been a long way from piss poor. (As has Fanagan for what it's worth.)
    Forum Member
    Piss poor as a unit, your whole defence, I wasn't really picking out individuals for that treatment. You actually remind me of United from the first half of last season, when we were almost having to score 3 or 4 goals a game to win as we were conceding so many.

Not really meant as a slight, in fact i think it just shows just how good your forward play has been this season that even with shaky defence you are where you are.
  • mikeydddmikeyddd Posts: 11,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You say this and yet Liverpool have on average only conceded 4 more goals than the top 8 teams this season so far and if it wasn't for Chelsea's good defensive record it would be nearer 2. I think it's the half dozen or so calamitous goals that Liverpool have given away that makes them seem worse than they are.
    Forum Member
    Piss poor as a unit, your whole defence, I wasn't really picking out individuals for that treatment. You actually remind me of United from the first half of last season, when we were almost having to score 3 or 4 goals a game to win as we were conceding so many.

Not really meant as a slight, in fact i think it just shows just how good your forward play has been this season that even with shaky defence you are where you are.

As a unit it's been poor - no doubt. I've slagged our defence off many times! But I do think that Skrtel has been shining most of the season. He just needs a better partner next to him and a more solid keeper behind him.
    Forum Member
    What happened to Agger?
    Forum Member
    What happened to Agger?

Injuries seem to have kept him getting a long run in the team. Which sadly with him has been a pattern. I still think if Agger had been fit for the whole season (along with Johnson and Enrique) we'd have been more solid at the back.
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marshall by a mile as the keeper. Speroni at Palace has also been good.

Coleman & Baines pretty clear as full backs.

Centre backs are the only contentious position. Mertesacker and Kompany maybe, the Chelsea pair close. West Ham have kept a ton of clean sheets too but not sure who you would put that down to.

Given the shortlist for the main 6 is four midfielders and two strikers it will be them, difficult to argue anyone over them.
    Forum Member
    More than likely. though I think sometimes when you play such good attacking football you sacrifice some defensive stability.

Either way, you're top of the league.
    Forum Member
    Yeh and I'm enjoying the ride, but for the CL next season we can't go into games against the likes of Barca, etc.. assuming we can concede 3 cause we'll score 5. Some of the goals we've let in have been pathetic!

But that's for next year, right now I'm just enjoying the ride, however it ends up!
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member

The way that we play we'd need 4 top draw defenders and a top draw goalkeeper to rival Chelsea's goals conceded stat. We've got one in Skrtel and possibly another in Sakho if he can get a good run in the side, but our full backs haven't met that standard. Mignolet's shot-stopping is up there with the best of them but the rest of his game isn't.

Arsenal have only conceded 3 less than we have but I still picked Koscielny because even when they've played badly, he's been their best defender by a mile.
  • jvilson29jvilson29 Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    Marshall. Coleman, Cahill, Terry, Shaw. Gerrard, Toure, Lallana. Sturridge, Suarez, Hazard. (4-3-3).

Subs: De Gea, Skrtel, Baines, Silva, Henderson, Sterling, Rodriguez.

Manager: Rodgers with Pulis as his assistant :p

Special mention to Aaron Ramsey who I'm certain would have made the first 11 had he been fit all season. Sad as an Arsenal fan I couldn't find one player worthy to pick in the whole 18.
  • InTheLoopInTheLoop Posts: 6,595
    Forum Member
    jvilson29 wrote: »
    Marshall. Coleman, Cahill, Terry, Shaw. Gerrard, Toure, Lallana. Sturridge, Suarez, Hazard. (4-3-3).

Subs: De Gea, Skrtel, Baines, Silva, Henderson, Sterling, Rodriguez.

Manager: Rodgers with Pulis as his assistant :p

Special mention to Aaron Ramsey who I'm certain would have made the first 11 had he been fit all season. Sad as an Arsenal fan I couldn't find one player worthy to pick in the whole 18.

Surely one or not both of Koscielny and Mertesacker deserve to be there. Them, along with Terry and Cahill have been by far the best CB's this year.
    Skrtel should be nowhere near the team in my opinion, neither should Kompany, who has had an unbelievably poor 2nd half of the season but the blame seems to be apportioned to Hart or Demichelis continually